job in kokkola?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
vincebel

job in kokkola?

Post by vincebel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am

hi my name is vince im a frnech belgian and i speak fluently english as well.
Im looking for any kind of job just to survive.

Because i dont have an insurance number yet (my file is still somewhere in an office) i can not register in a job seeker agency

Puhun vänhä suomea

thanks for advices

vince

I already found some factory jobs but because my finnish is not perfect i didnt get the job. I didnt know you must speak finnish to lift boxes in a noisy environment lol

job in kokkola?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:34 am

try http://mol.fi/mol/en/index.jsp for jobs.
I didnt know you must speak finnish to lift boxes in a noisy environment lol
That's the sad reality in Finland. You have to be able to communicate with the foreman/shift leader and they often only (want to) speak Finnish.
And do read the stickies about jobs, there is plenty of information.

Karhunkoski

Re: job in kokkola?

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:49 am

vincebel wrote: I didnt know you must speak finnish to lift boxes in a noisy environment lol

You wouldn't laughing so much if you had a crippling accident because you didn't understand the health and safety notices and instructions. This makes you a liability to the employer. It has nothing to do with talking in a noisy environment.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

blaugrau

Post by blaugrau » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:51 am

I would say, consider the integration programme from the unemployment office once you get your paperwork in order, because the odds for finding a job quickly without Finnish are against you big time. These integration programmes are basically full-time Finnish classes and you get "paid' for it, i.e. somewhat increased unemployment benefits..

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 am

OK, so here we see DMC's, Debonaires and all the rest of the positive thinkers' success story of "life in the boonies" in Finland unravelling slowly.

You, "positive thinkers" you know who you are, all you DMC and Debonaire and all you rest "never had a problem" people now help him out. Give your "positivete action" ideas to him. You tell people to go ahead and move to the boonies without any idea of a job. Just move to the hot blondes farm! Why is he then whining over KELA benefits? You positive idiots make the magic work for him now! PROVE ME YOU ARE RIGHT! Can you? OR DOES THIS, ONCE AGAIN, PROVE *ME* RIGHT?

Thinking of it, a few hundred miles down the coast Pori-Rauma axle is flipping with frogs with the AREVA building the power plant at Eurajoki... now can a person imagine moving from Kokkola to Eurajoki (or to Vaasa or Oulu or Tampere for that matter, and find a job?
Last edited by Hank W. on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:54 am

blaugrau wrote:because the odds for finding a job quickly without Finnish are against you big time.
No, no no, I've hjust read 18 pages full of postings this is all negative thinking. Just ask DMC, a job will come and bite you on the nose.
Cheers, Hank W.

blaugrau

Post by blaugrau » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Yes, but the difference in his case, of course, is that he has a Finnish child, i.e., family ties that are "acceptable" to the maistraatti and the police, in that he would be domiciled as "permanent" right away and eligible for all kinds of goodies from good old KELA.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:16 pm

I wouldn't call those "goodies" you get from KELA. However *surviving* on the goodies of KELA is another thing.

The amount of free jobs in Kokkola last I checked was 78 jobs. The uneployment (which he isn't even counted into yet) in Kokkola is around 11-12% (slightly over the national average) so some 2000 people, mind you this, in a city that has relatively much industry to start with.

Of course, if one enjoys the life of a bum sitting on a sofa watching the bald and hairless sipping beer week in and week out.... been there, done that... seen people do that for years on end... non-Finnish-speakers have the better excuse of "nobody hires me"... but the first survival thing is to get the number, get registered as unemployed and then get into the integration programme. They seem to have better resources in smaller towns than in "down south" where theres 1001 HBS cases instead of the dozen.
Cheers, Hank W.

vincebel

Post by vincebel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:48 pm

wooww thanks for the answers thats much more that any KELA people or anybody else...

Yeah i Know for sure tha there are jobs available in Kokkola. I called a few numbers saying first that i dont speak finnish and if the person speak english (all of this in finnish). half of them hang out straight and the other half explained me that they rather hire finnish talking people.

So even if i like watching simsonit on tv im not that lazy and even if a job doesnt bring more money that the unemployment ammount, at least i meet people and improve my finnish.

But for sure when my file is , i hope, accepted, i go straight to this integration programm. that i ve never heard before.

thanks for your advices and answers

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Well, it says something of it in KELA, however you must be "in the computer" and the (un)employment office is the place where you make the integration plan etc.

And hevae you been to the MOL.fi site? It explains all this residence/domicile stuff as well.
Cheers, Hank W.

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:26 am

blaugrau wrote:Yes, but the difference in his case, of course, is that he has a Finnish child, i.e., family ties that are "acceptable" to the maistraatti and the police, in that he would be domiciled as "permanent" right away and eligible for all kinds of goodies from good old KELA.
What was he doing for the nine months when planning to move to Finland??
I mean where were you? Did you do any research at all before moving there?
In the other thread, you said that you are not even registered..
no money no job and a young baby ..and you resigned with the register in Belgium.
Congrats on one hand..but whos going to pay for the roof under y'all's heads?
Have you thought about moving to France and finding a job fast enough so that you can pay for your bills?
How about telecommuting, since you have some sort of Phd degree?

vincebel

Post by vincebel » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:48 am

I sent 50 maisls with my CV in attachment and noanswers back. Couldnt do more
I mean where were you?
I was in Australia for the last two years on a working visa so I saved quite a lot of money. Im not broke at all but money is going down. thats all
you said that you are not even registered..
I registered 10 weeks ago and fill all the KELA forms with the proper belgian documents and all the stuff. Not my fault if the Administration is so slow. They told me it will take two weeks to get an answer and still nothing.
Have you thought about moving to France and finding a job fast enough so that you can pay for your bills?
As i explained before Im overqualified to find a fast job in Belgium cos back home your employer must pay you regarding your degree and not your job. It means that to work in a glass collecting factory they should pay me like I was an ingeneer so...Im not hired.
Congrats on one hand..
Is this ironic?

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:27 pm

vincebel wrote:
I sent 50 maisls with my CV in attachment and noanswers back. Couldnt do more
50 is like pissing in the ocean...Have you searched this section on how difficult the jobs are to come...and even after 100s of applications people get 1 or 2 responses..which are generally negative.
I mean where were you?
I was in Australia for the last two years on a working visa so I saved quite a lot of money. Im not broke at all but money is going down. thats all [/quote]
Good. one of the advices people get here before moving here is to save enough anywhere from 6months to 2 years ( for a family, the Govt estimates that it needs at least 400 euros per adult and 200 per child), all per month) so hope that you saved enough!!. Well..Since you are already here..what did you expect? the money to grown in the forest in Kokkola?
you said that you are not even registered..
I registered 10 weeks ago and fill all the KELA forms with the proper belgian documents and all the stuff. Not my fault if the Administration is so slow. They told me it will take two weeks to get an answer and still nothing.[/quote]
Please, please please learn this: There is absolutely no point in blaming the administration for what is not your preparedness and responsibility to do. The administration can take as long as a year but where was your responsibility to find this information out...and now who is suffering? you or the admin?
As i explained before Im overqualified to find a fast job in Belgium cos back home your employer must pay you regarding your degree and not your job. It means that to work in a glass collecting factory they should pay me like I was an ingeneer so...Im not hired.
Congrats on one hand..
In Belgium in France? I didnt know that!! sorry!!
Is this ironic?
what's ironic is that you were somewhat prepared..but still are struggling..and When people give this sort of advice :
Be as prepared as you can ever be and more..
Have a plan A B C D or more and Finland is not a forgiving place for ignorance and
"thinking positive" can only help you internally but not with practicalities, and
no matter how hard you try, its not hard enough...

are seen by many here as rude and nasty advice..
So what would you say that you are going through now?
Can you share your thoughts on our negative advice so that we can become more positive?
well..have you thought about applying for jobs in the capital area, and once you get anything, commute weekends to Kokkola or move your family closer to capital area and later on develop a plan to move to Kokkola later ?

vincebel

Post by vincebel » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:11 pm

you know ive always been positive. I have a wonderful family, finnish friends, and a nice place to stay, and i saved some money for the next four months

Im just annoyed that 90 percent of foreigners get an answer for the KELA card after maximum one month. But i feel like they forgave me. And yeah I blame the administration because the forget to make me fill a european paper. I noticed that on this forum.

Concenrning the job I got some cash hand jobs where i can get 550 euros per month but I would like a legal job just to be legal

And do you want me to semd more applications in Kokkola than there are places to send them? Have u ever been to Kokkola?

Im here just for my girlfriend and her family. I could go back to Belgium and get my girlfriend in the same trouble i am now but this is not gonna help. My girlfriend can start working in two weeks in kokkola so i just wait for someone who dont care about hiring a non finnish guy

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:31 pm

And yeah I blame the administration because the forget to make me fill a european paper
Of course you blame them. Who wouldnt if they have wasted your time.
BUT

the thing is the administration doesnt care whom you blame, so it doesnt really help or change any thing. I have learnt that in Finland YOU need to look up things and check if you have filled out all the forms or registered in the right places. If YOU dont do it, you will find out weeks or months later from KELA (or insert any governmental agency).
For the same reason it doesnt help to send emails applying for jobs. You need to call them up or visit them or you will never get any replies (not even to tell you "no").

Its not such a bad system really, as long as people are aware of this and keep asking questions until they get answers.