masters degree in engineering

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
aarabi

Post by aarabi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 am

hi all!

first of all, thanx to all u guyz for the inputs on student permits, job possibilities, etc.

no.2: im an engineering undergrad in India. My field is communication engineering. I want to specialize (masters deg) either in microwave engineering or in wireless communication at the technical univ @ Helsinki.but im in a dilemma as to which one to choose. :?: Personally, both subjects fascinate me and my performance in both at undergrad level has been very good. Is anyone studying these subjects here? i would be glad for inputs.

no.3: i was in touch the university's advisor who told me that about 600 euros per month s d living expenses. could u please give me a split up of these?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:29 am

Did you study the post that is marked "read this first!"

Especialy this link:

http://finland.cimo.fi/practicalities.html

As it says check all of the left hand panel references.

Then over to your question..
either in microwave engineering or in wireless communication

Microwave work tends to be... Radar = Military/Avionics ...mainly..
OK, there is some work in Short Distance MW data links..but TBOMK only a small amount of practical/commercial work is done in Finland.
Higher degrees often need a commercial sponsor for at least the Professor and the PHd students.
We do not have any Avionics companies and few companies working at MW frequencies to sponsor the work/research/chairs at Universities.

We do however have Nokia, they are working at lower frequencies..Yep, their frequencies are creeping up, but are currently still = .Radio/Wireless . No waveguides etc...yet..

What about India?...as I suspect you would like to be employed in the field that you get your MSc in...check out what is pointed in the direction that you aim your carreer development accordingly.
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

raamv

Re: masters degree in engineering

Post by raamv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:07 pm

aarabi wrote:hi all!

first of all, thanx to all u guyz for the inputs on student permits, job possibilities, etc.

no.2: im an engineering undergrad in India. My field is communication engineering. I want to specialize (masters deg) either in microwave engineering or in wireless communication at the technical univ @ Helsinki.but im in a dilemma as to which one to choose. :?: Personally, both subjects fascinate me and my performance in both at undergrad level has been very good. Is anyone studying these subjects here? i would be glad for inputs.

no.3: i was in touch the university's advisor who told me that about 600 euros per month s d living expenses. could u please give me a split up of these?
For 5000Euros a year to live here ( 600 Euros include only BASIC living and rent. Anything extra like movies, drinking in a pub etc might not suit that..) in Finland, you cannot work for more than 25 hours if you study. but then to work you must know Finnish ( and not some Finnish). There are not many jobs available for English Speaking people let alone Full time.. without Finnish skills or niche skills.
With that 5000Euros, you are better off trying for Univ. of Madras, Anna university, IIM or BITs, Pilani etc..
Once you graduate there in India, you will probably have a job waiting for you, whereas here its the other way around.. you need to wait and actively search for "anywhere between 6 months to many years" before you find a job.."
As for microwave, there re very limited companies operating here on that area..
As for Wireless, the future of operations even for the likes of Nokia will be in India..
A lot of companies like Nokia and Ericsson have their radio plants in Sriperambathhur, Chennai ...and they are the Asian/gloabal hub for these companies..

aarabi

Post by aarabi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:00 pm

yes :) i first read the post saying "read this first" naturally.

" you will probably have a job waiting for you"

my education is supported by an investor and i chose finland because i want to expand the company's operations to european nations. from my market study i felt that finland would be the best place to launch knowledge engineering based cellular services. (incidentally, wat do u think of that?)

that's why im coming to finland despite having good courses in India. (i already have ties with IIT MADras now, im a DSP engineer credited by them as well as analog devices)

also, india does not yet have the infrastructure to support the above services.we are currently operating majorly in the usa. that's why i have turned to europe. i have made up my mind that i want to study in finland.
so i guess wireless is a better bet.
thanks a lot guyz :D chow

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:19 pm

aarabi wrote:my education is supported by an investor and i chose finland because i want to expand the company's operations to european nations. from my market study i felt that finland would be the best place to launch knowledge engineering based cellular services. (incidentally, wat do u think of that?)
In Finland, your education is free..but your living costs are not..so if the investor is going to pay for your living costs, they will be required to be deposited in a Bank in Finland once you arrive here..
( Euro 6000 per year)..
also, india does not yet have the infrastructure to support the above services.we are currently operating majorly in the usa. that's why i have turned to europe. i have made up my mind that i want to study in finland.
Good thinking, but really really, you ll be better off picking a bigger country like Germany or France..or even Sweden where the language interaction is way easier than here...especially for setting up business.

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 pm

hmm and I ve been in this telecomm field for a little while..and I wonder what knowledge engineering cellular service is ? :roll:

aarabi

Post by aarabi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 am

"you ll be better off picking a bigger country like Germany or France..or even Sweden "

oh. ok. i shall look up swedish universities right away. im reluctant about germany bcoz of their economic s/m. whereas in d nordic countries, the economy is only just opening up right?

and knowledge based cellular services essentially allow u to access specific knowledge s/ms based on subscription. its actually somethin quite simple n it makes life very easy for the corporate sector. :D it involves data mining, artificial intelligence and expert s/ms at the server end and nothing but a mobile phone wit internet connection at the user end :) sounds too good to b true but there it is. :) chow

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:54 pm

aarabi wrote:"im reluctant about germany bcoz of their economic s/m. whereas in d nordic countries, the economy is only just opening up right?
Economic sadomasochism? Could you elaborate? Nordic countries opening up... from... ???? What???
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

aarabi

Post by aarabi » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:05 pm

lol no sadomasochism involved whatsoever. nordic economies are inviting indian investors. that was the only reference.

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:30 am

aarabi wrote:"you ll be better off picking a bigger country like Germany or France..or even Sweden "

oh. ok. i shall look up swedish universities right away. im reluctant about germany bcoz of their economic s/m. whereas in d nordic countries, the economy is only just opening up right?

and knowledge based cellular services essentially allow u to access specific knowledge s/ms based on subscription. its actually somethin quite simple n it makes life very easy for the corporate sector. :D it involves data mining, artificial intelligence and expert s/ms at the server end and nothing but a mobile phone wit internet connection at the user end :) sounds too good to b true but there it is. :) chow
seems like a lot of Sh*t in a caramel pie!! So go ahead if it tastes good for ya!!
As for the Nordic economy opening up? Where did yea hear that? in your imagination? All Nordic telecom giants are operating factories in India!!( In Chennai)
Hmm access to knowledge has been available since the 80s..so thats nothing new!! and I have no clue on what you mean by helping the corporate sector..
and data mining in sms is not new!!
so all in all get some new brains for your rethink!!
Last edited by raamv on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:36 am

No point in concentrating in developing SMS based services. The technology has been ready for that years (which can be copied to countries using simpler handsets and GSM) and the browsers on handsets are getting so good that with 3G it's possible to use most web based services with the handset.
Get in there...

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 am

Out of curiosity to aarabi...

Is the kind of service you are describing what is beind done in USA by company you are involved with?

This question mainly because I had some (quite possibly false) preconceptions of USA being little behind Europe in mobile phones and their use.