Looking for Thanksgiving ingredients

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:07 pm

Yes, well, an US size turkey would require an US size stove to fit inside...

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mrshourula

Post by mrshourula » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:17 pm

If one wanted to have a truly authentic thanksgiving with food that would have been eaten at Plymouth Plantation in 1621, I submit the following:

-- corn soup
-- succotash
-- white fish
-- red meat
-- various fowl (turkey, partridge, duck)
-- berries (including whole cranberries)
-- maple sugar candies
-- corn starch candy (believe it or not, candy corn is almost authentic except for the colored dyes)
-- watercress
-- any kind of bean (red, black, green, pinto)
-- squash
-- corn
-- sweet potato
-- pumpkin (boiled only; no pie as there was no wheat in the "new world" yet to make a crust. The wheat brought by the pilgrims wouldn't grow in the rocky soil of Plymouth.)

fauxfinndotcom

Post by fauxfinndotcom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:12 pm

We're not planning on actually cooking a bird since several of the guests are vegetarian anyway. Hopefully I will be able to find some kind of solution for the pumpkin pie at least - if I thought I could get it in time, I'd have someone back home just send me the Libby's!

In any case, thank you all for your ideas.

enk

Post by enk » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:48 pm

fauxfinndotcom wrote:We're not planning on actually cooking a bird since several of the guests are vegetarian anyway. Hopefully I will be able to find some kind of solution for the pumpkin pie at least - if I thought I could get it in time, I'd have someone back home just send me the Libby's!
Buying a pumpkin and making puree out of it would be an option
and a good one at that since they've now dropped the price of
pumpkin to under a euro/kg. ;)

-enk

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:16 am

Or this:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Pota ... etail.aspx

Bataati is in every supermarket isn't it? I love whole roasted sweet potato, with butter, cinnamon and sugar as a side dish. Yum!

Good luck! And remember, "It's not better or worse, just different!"

mrshourula

Post by mrshourula » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 am

Yes, sweet potato makes a wonderful pie. The key, though, is a can of evaporated milk -- although you can find some recipes that substitute yoghurt. If you can't find a frozen crust, then make a pate brisee (basically flour, butter, salt and a little cold water).

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:38 am

Turkey you can already get in the frozen meat section of stockmann, I'm getting mine this week. I stocked up on all the american stuff they sold during the american week at stockmann. They had stuffing, pumpkin pie mix and a few other nice things. Its been killing me having to wait to eat them but now its so soon :D I am guessing the only place you can get that stuff now is in the WTC at Behnfords in Helsinki. I am also living in Tampere. Frozen cranberries are pretty easy to get now in just about any larger grocery store. I just saw them the other day at Citymarket.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 am

Ready made pie crust pastry is available in ALL the supermarkets - in the freezer cabinets. The brand is Sunnantai but Pirkka (Citymarket, K market) do their own brand. You can chose between regular short-crust (pate brisee), with wheat or rye flour or puff pastry (good for star pastries at Christmas) and also a sweet dough that is great for blueberry pie and I guess you could use it for pumpkin pie too.

Jason Wright

Post by Jason Wright » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:20 pm

This evening I just got a Finnish Turkey from Stockmann in Vantaa. 5.98 eur/kg and they were all about 10kg. I was really surprised, since I expected it to be much more expensive!

Jason

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:47 pm

penelope wrote:Ready made pie crust pastry is available in ALL the supermarkets - in the freezer cabinets. The brand is Sunnantai but Pirkka (Citymarket, K market) do their own brand. You can chose between regular short-crust (pate brisee), with wheat or rye flour or puff pastry (good for star pastries at Christmas) and also a sweet dough that is great for blueberry pie and I guess you could use it for pumpkin pie too.
It's not the same thing.

Those Finnish frozen pastries are almost impossible to bake blind... I've tried a few times. They spring back into shape and all you are left with in your pie tin is a pastry disk.

The Septics on here are talking about the sort of pie crusts that come ready baked and you just pop the filling in... same concept as those nasty sponge flan bases you can buy all over Europe.

Desundial

Post by Desundial » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:09 pm

For anyone still looking for the same ingrediants as the original poster I was at the main Stockmann's tonight and there are still plenty of cans of pumpkin pie mix and cranberry sauce. Plus they have fresh cranberry's (produce section) and frozen (pretty much the same frozen cranberries as at every finnish supermarket), ditto for the different types of frozen pirikka dough, for those who want to take their chances regardless of red flags posted previously. And of course they have the condensed milk, though it's down on a low shelf and hard to find.

Yep, they also still have turkey's at 5 something €'s a kilo.

...for those doing a saturday or later "thanksgiving"...or just really missing pumpkin pie.