Reg:Doing masters in Computer Sciece in finland

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
decoy77

Post by decoy77 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi,

I would like to study for Masters in Computer at Helsinki University (Or some other university in Finland). I have gone through the web site where the international Master degree requirements and other things are given.

There are two options Part time or full time. I could not understand what is this part time.

At Present i am working in Finland and recently i got a permanent job in a Mobile servicess company in Finland. So it would be great if some one can share their ideas on the following questions...

1. Do we need to get Employers permission to join and study a part time course?
2. What are the practical difficulties in enrolling for a master degree and completing the same.
3. When the part time course classes will be condutcted or its such that some time on weekdays we have to attend the classes if the attendance is mandatory for a course?

Regards
Decoy..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:50 am

If you already have your eyes on some Master's programme, I'd advise you to contact the university / faculty in question directly about the difference of "part-time" and "full time". Part-time would seem to imply that it would be a programme tailored for those who are already in the working life, so it might not include daytime lectures...but as said it's best to ask directly from the institution.

Whether getting your employer's permission is actually "necessary" or not, I'd say that it's a good idea to negotiate about the practical issues of completing a Master's (while simultaneously working?) with your employer - ask whether it's kosher if you start studying. Employers may be rather flexible about these issues, especially if your studies are aiming towards your professional development in your current job.

The first practical difficulty would be... to become accepted. Admission is not automatic, that is, not every applicant is accepted - depending on the programme (and your own qualifications...) you could run into some stiff competition for the limited number of annual study placements... so check out the general admission requirements and application times from the university website (or http://www.universityadmissions.fi) and then act accordingly... and... good luck!