Looking for a job in Java Domain

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
sanam_bl

Post by sanam_bl » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 am

Hello everyone,

Im looking for a job in Helsinki in the Java Domain . Im a Software Engineer with 2.4 years of experience in the Java domain.
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the Finnish language Sad .

I have applied in few companies and few job sites but nothing has been working out. I will be really grateful if someone can let me know the best way to find a job.

Thanks and Regards
Sanam
Last edited by sanam_bl on Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:52 am

Get to know people who can introduce you to other people who ....

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 pm

you should ask schrecher and debonaire for advice for they seem to somehow magically know how to get jobs for people with certificates, skills as well as good English..and no Finnish required.. :twisted:
As for your less better chances.. You should start networking as rinso says..and Keep trying even in fields that you dont want to work in..as its not that you can choose..but the other way!!
Have you tried to look at
http://www.mol.fi/paikat/ and do a search for the "skills" you have in the "Sanahaku" field.
If you are not in Finland, thats going to be another big set of a can of worms..
Also, when you apply for jobs, make sure that you provide adequate proof of your skills that a prospective employer can relate to..
Meanwhile, look at http://www.suomi.fi or http://www.infopankki.com and find out how to join the "integration" program and also " use the search luke" function in this forum for integration!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Can't be that difficult.... maybe you just suck in coding or presenting on how you suck in coding. If you suck in J2EE then I might know someone :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

debonaire

Post by debonaire » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Now raamv you are always looking for an opportunity to instigate...
This person is looking for a job in Helsinki...Maybe the chances will brighten up if other places are also included while searching for job...
Wit over 2 years of work ex in java,it shouldn't be difficult to find a job and thats exactly what shrecher and I have been saying all along...

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Java is not any cup of tea!! it is a NICHE skill ( as relating to a programming language which is in effect a computer language that needs certain amount of training and learning skills)..
Try finding jobs in Java at Imatra? Kouvola? Hanko? Iivalo?

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 pm

2 years working in Java made me think he was looking for a job in a rubber plantation or jungle clearance...no chance in Finland :wink: :wink:
Then raamv said.."as relating to a programming language which is in effect a computer language".... :D

Seriously for a moment...
I know that there are several application on my mobile that have Java JAD and JAR files associated with them...so somewhere in the big N they must use it...
Also F Secure use this language for some of their projects..so there might be some Niches available....
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Right now hot stuff is J2EE and .NET along with PHP. Or were when I was looking through requirements.

But despite what debo here tells you...

Unless you find big company or one already having english as language there are some problems due to poor language skills.

Huge majority of companies do not have english as office language and neither want to. But when you find one your 2 years should of experience will come in handy.

Just want to make sure you know where you are standing.

Mies Belgiasta

Post by Mies Belgiasta » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Good luck ! I've been here for 2 months already looking for a job, still didn't get any replies. If you find something, or a place where they need people, lemme know ! :twisted: :wink:
Parempi hullu kuin tylsä ;D

My blog : http://www.fin-style.be/blog

shrecher

Re: Looking for a job in Java Domain

Post by shrecher » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:32 pm

Unfortunately, 2 years is very small expirience for foreign to start work here.
You should far exceed the locals in seniority and experience as well as in skills. You should be at least 5 years in the software area and work in famous companies. Well, the best what we could do here it is polish your CV. If you send it here we could correct it.

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Mies Belgiasta wrote:Good luck ! I've been here for 2 months already looking for a job, still didn't get any replies. If you find something, or a place where they need people, lemme know ! :twisted: :wink:
What are your skills?
But what shall it profit a people if they satisfy all material desires, but leave for their children nothing, only a wasteland.

sanam_bl

Post by sanam_bl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot for the reply, advice and suggestions.
I am still looking for job, nothing seems to be working out.
If at all any of you get to know abt job openings kindly do post. I would be of great help.

Thanks and Regards,
Sanam

Mies Belgiasta

Post by Mies Belgiasta » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Jussi wrote:
Mies Belgiasta wrote:Good luck ! I've been here for 2 months already looking for a job, still didn't get any replies. If you find something, or a place where they need people, lemme know ! :twisted: :wink:
What are your skills?
Well, I wouldn't call them skills really. The problem is that I'm a just graduate, with only a few months work experience in helpdesk support. I'm trying to find something in the Java field too, as it's pretty interesting. Problem is, there are lots of Finnish people, like me, trying to get a job, and they know Finnish.
Parempi hullu kuin tylsä ;D

My blog : http://www.fin-style.be/blog

shrecher

Post by shrecher » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:59 am

In Finland it is very hard (impossible?) to find work without experience. You could search for trainee position or students schema (check Nokia and other big companies). This is quite doable, but you position yourself as student, but not as professional.

You could also gain some experience in open-source projects. This is common practice for beginners. Check sourceforge.net and join the most interesting for you project.

You should also consider option to find some practice abroad where ICT market is wider and less limited with unions. It could a half year or less. You just need some employer names in CV :-)