Unbelievable Pizza

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Unbelievable Pizza

Post by Hank W. » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:19 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Finland beats Italy to win US pizza competition
Jarmo Valtari and Pertti Laitinen from Finland inched ahead an Italian team to win the fourth America's Plate International Pizza Competition in New York on Monday.The judges awarded the Finnish duo a total of 307 points for their smoked reindeer and mushroom creation, relegating the Italians to second place with 270 points. The other teams hailed from Australia, China and the United States.

OK, if no :shock: yet...
Tänään New Yorkissa järjestetyssä PMQ Pizza Showssa Kotipizza-yrittäjät Jarmo Valtari Vaasasta ja Pertti Laitinen Turusta voittivat kultaa The America´s Plate International Pizza Competition kilpailussa ylivoimaisesti.

:shock:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Unbelievable Pizza

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikala

Re: Unbelievable Pizza

Post by sinikala » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Nothing wrong with Kotipizza ... except it seemed to a be a bit too upmarket for the locals. That should not really be possible, but the one here was put out of business by Buffa, says it all really.

Best pizzas now to be found in Rosso it seems.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:57 pm

sinikala wrote: Nothing wrong with Kotipizza ... except it seemed to a be a bit too upmarket for the locals. That should not really be possible, but the one here was put out of business by Buffa, says it all really.
That's a real shame, I feel your pain. The problem being that everyone just wants to buy cheap, cheap, cheap. I can live with a cheap laptop, a cheap holiday, cheap books or DVDs, but stuff that goes inside my body has to be of a certain quality, and the cheap pizza places serve poor quality food.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:
sinikala wrote: Nothing wrong with Kotipizza ... except it seemed to a be a bit too upmarket for the locals. That should not really be possible, but the one here was put out of business by Buffa, says it all really.
That's a real shame, I feel your pain. The problem being that everyone just wants to buy cheap, cheap, cheap. I can live with a cheap laptop, a cheap holiday, cheap books or DVDs, but stuff that goes inside my body has to be of a certain quality, and the cheap pizza places serve poor quality food.
Word. :thumbsup:

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 pm

blame it on Lordi, and the upsetters!!

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 am

So wait, where exactly can you get decent pizza is Helsinki? I have yet to find anything here to satisfy my NY pizza cravings. And kotipizza might be ok, it certainly is not in the category of (in my opinion) good pizza.

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 am

Mikie wrote:So wait, where exactly can you get decent pizza is Helsinki? I have yet to find anything here to satisfy my NY pizza cravings. And kotipizza might be ok, it certainly is not in the category of (in my opinion) good pizza.
Have you tried La Famiglia? They claim to have NY pizza, well it's not, but a step in the right direction...
Get in there...

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 am

La Familglia, is that the one next to the Stockmann's book store? I haven't tried it, but will now. Thanks.

I used to have cousins that moved out to San Fran that would have family fed-ex pizza from a local shop where I lives to them once a month. I'm not that extreme, but I do now understand why. Not to say the pizza in SF or Hel is bad, it's just not what I think of when I say I want a pizza. And that story was years ago, SF pizza might be different these days.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:34 am

Dunno, I always found Kotipizza to be with the extra bland. And small in size. But that was when they first started being around... I've had the best pizza off some guy that was only open at nighttime... vaguely remember it was on Fredrikinkatu... But at 4am all you want is something to fill you up. These days if I Indulge I go for the local Pizzataxi or PizzaService just because they're "right there" across the parking lot. I've tried some of the local joints near work, have been disappointed in two so far, but theres half a dozen to try still, so I am saving the experiences.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

hackoff

Post by hackoff » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:23 am

Hank W. wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:
Finland beats Italy to win US pizza competition
Jarmo Valtari and Pertti Laitinen from Finland inched ahead an Italian team to win the fourth America's Plate International Pizza Competition in New York on Monday.The judges awarded the Finnish duo a total of 307 points for their smoked reindeer and mushroom creation, relegating the Italians to second place with 270 points. The other teams hailed from Australia, China and the United States.

OK, if no :shock: yet...
Tänään New Yorkissa järjestetyssä PMQ Pizza Showssa Kotipizza-yrittäjät Jarmo Valtari Vaasasta ja Pertti Laitinen Turusta voittivat kultaa The America´s Plate International Pizza Competition kilpailussa ylivoimaisesti.

:shock:

they forget Pineapple :ochesey:

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:38 am

Hank W. wrote:Dunno, I always found Kotipizza to be with the extra bland. And small in size. But that was when they first started being around... I've had the best pizza off some guy that was only open at nighttime... vaguely remember it was on Fredrikinkatu... But at 4am all you want is something to fill you up. These days if I Indulge I go for the local Pizzataxi or PizzaService just because they're "right there" across the parking lot. I've tried some of the local joints near work, have been disappointed in two so far, but theres half a dozen to try still, so I am saving the experiences.
Kotipizza for teh lose...

We got one across the street but generally prefer to call and get one delivered from someplace else. Or go to this another "someplace else" further away.

Amusingly, pizzas fitting better to my taste are found from immigrant run places. :lol:

Man I miss Maria from JKL... Or even Flamenco near my house there.

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 am

Mikie wrote:La Familglia, is that the one next to the Stockmann's book store? I haven't tried it, but will now. Thanks.
http://www.lafamiglia.fi/index.php?id=1493
Get in there...

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:10 pm

I find the food in La Familglia pretty awful, run of the mill fodder to feed all the tourists who stumble across it because of its location and the lack of any other really decent Italian restaurant in Helsinki. The new Primula restaurant on Fredrikinkatu does the best pizza I've found so far.

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:20 pm

carolinemaher wrote:I find the food in La Familglia pretty awful, run of the mill fodder to feed all the tourists who stumble across it because of its location and the lack of any other really decent Italian restaurant in Helsinki. The new Primula restaurant on Fredrikinkatu does the best pizza I've found so far.
Zio Pepe is suppose to be good Italian, however I live close to it and it looks modest etc... and the Pizzas are ok, thou they were better in Italy.
Get in there...

enk

Post by enk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 pm

This place is supposed to have good Italian food, but I've never heard
anyone say anything about the pizzas beyond what is written in the reviews:

http://www.eat.fi/villetta
http://www.villetta.fi/fi/index.php?section=3

Never yet been myself, so I can't say one way or another :)

-enk