Any Suggetions? Ideas?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Karhunkoski

Re: Any Suggetions? Ideas?

Post by Karhunkoski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:10 pm

How long have you been studying?
What is your current level?

Answering those questions may make answering your question easier.

Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Get a couple of Finnish speaking friends and only talk Finnish with them ( unless the going gets tough initially, but later on, only Finnish even if it gets tough)
Always, try to speak Finnish when obtaining or requesting any service from any shop/government/etc
Listen to Radio, and watch Finnish TV ( YLE) for news and other programs and try to learn the pronunciations
Get Finnish ( colloquial) CDs and listen to them in cars, buses,trains etc..

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Watch Finnish TV series with Finnish subtitles (I think this is sometimes possible with the digibox) or rent FInnish DVDs with Finnish subtitles (ie for the deaf) - it is sometimes helpful to listen and read at the same time.

Learn chunks of language (useful phrases that you think you are likely to use in a conversation) rather than lists of words.

read read read.

Try doing a course like Baking Pulla or Watercolour painting or anything IN FINNISH (ie the CLIL method: content language integrated learning, you learn the language THROUGH another subject)

(PS I really should take my own advice sometimes :lol: )

antstar

Post by antstar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:34 pm

raamv wrote:Get a couple of Finnish speaking friends and only talk Finnish with them ( unless the going gets tough initially, but later on, only Finnish even if it gets tough)
Always, try to speak Finnish when obtaining or requesting any service from any shop/government/etc
Listen to Radio, and watch Finnish TV ( YLE) for news and other programs and try to learn the pronunciations
Get Finnish ( colloquial) CDs and listen to them in cars, buses,trains etc..
Good suggestions here, although i'm still at beginners stage, i did attend suomi school for a month, start with all your pronounciations, ou oy oi ei au etc...
and learn one word from each that you can remember, then you can think back to that word everytime you come up against another similar spelt word. I also found it good to get some "free words" taksi, tee, banaani, jugurtti, kahvi etc
write them all down and read and spell yourself. i then went to "close words, words similar spelt" kana = chicken kala = fish. Numbers are easy, then learn the time next. Things you know you will use daily. The radio i find is a bit too fast for me, i listen to radio nova everyday and all i have learnt is Aamun pähkinä! (morning nut quiz) :oops:
I'm sure each have their own way, and mine maybe not great but at least i'll get there one day. :|