Rice or Potatoes?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Rice or Potatoes?

Rice
46%
Potatoes
54%

Total votes: 26

Phil

Rice or Potatoes?

Post by Phil » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:13 am

Rice or Potatoes?

Rice or Potatoes?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:34 am

Rice! Potatoes take too damn long to peel and cook. Well unless you follow Kemars' advice which makes them easier to peel but adds to the time. There's of course the problem that I don't see McDonalds offering rice as a side order any time soon so I'm happy to get my intake of potatoes with a Happy Meal.

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:57 am

Definately potatoes. There's so many ways you can cook 'em!

fried
baked
chipped
mashed
scalloped
hassel-backed

:wink:
Freckles.
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:28 am

definately rice. i grew up on that stuff. there's nothing like the smell of freshly cooked rice from the rice cooker...ahhh heaven! :)
b0 selecta!

daive

Re: Rice or Potatoes?

Post by daive » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:20 am

Phil wrote:Rice or Potatoes?
I love both so you should have a category for both! Although I wouldn't eat my chinese meal with tatties or try and make a shepherds pie with rice, hmmm!

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:52 am

Potatoes. Proud to say I'm not afraid to leave the skins on for better nutrition whenever possible. I remember that was my first real bit of culture clash when I met my future in-laws. They were horrified to see that I don't peel my boiled potatoes. At that time I was worried about "fitting in" and followed their advice. These days I just say "stop trying to be my mother" and I leave the skins on. 8)
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

daive

Post by daive » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:00 am

Caroline wrote:Potatoes. Proud to say I'm not afraid to leave the skins on for better nutrition whenever possible. I remember that was my first real bit of culture clash when I met my future in-laws. They were horrified to see that I don't peel my boiled potatoes. At that time I was worried about "fitting in" and followed their advice. These days I just say "stop trying to be my mother" and I leave the skins on. 8)
General observation follows...

That is interesting too, cos we were always told the best part of a jacket potato is the skin, all the goodness is in there and it tastes yummy. But on the rare occasions I see a Finn eating a jacket potato, they will always leave the skin and only eat the potato in the middle.

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:15 pm

Mmmm, the jackets are the best. Especially when you bake them and they go all crispy and... slirp!

Freckles. :D (tummy rumblin')
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:16 pm

Why do you think vitamin supplements sell so well here?

Mai

Post by Mai » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:19 pm

Potatoes definately! If i cannot choose both of course..

BTW, It's not really a finnish thing to not eat peel's, it depends on the family habbit's. Our family always has eaten them, especially in jacked potatoes skin IS definately best part. YUM!

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:07 pm

Mai wrote:Potatoes definately! If i cannot choose both of course..

BTW, It's not really a finnish thing to not eat peel's, it depends on the family habbit's. Our family always has eaten them, especially in jacked potatoes skin IS definately best part. YUM!

Yes! Thank you Mai. I will use that example next time if I need to prove that it's ok to eat the peels :)
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Thomas Koren

Post by Thomas Koren » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:56 pm

I like both, just like potatoes more. You can do more with potatoes, and off course they make Fries out of it, the best food ever :lol:
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

anja

Post by anja » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:08 pm

Mai wrote:Potatoes definately! If i cannot choose both of course..
Same here, definitely POTATOES if I have a choice :wink:

The one time all Finns love their potatoes not peeled is spring/early summer, the whole concept of "uudet perunat" will make any Finn drool :D I try to extend that time as far into the summer as I can by buying predominantly small potatoes that have a bit sweeter taste to them than bigger potatoes. And eat them with just butter!! YUM!!

In my family I got used to not peeling the potatoes unless if the skin was really thick and nasty; it really is not very tasty at that point.. So either way works for me.
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:31 am

RICE!!! I hate boiled potatoes!! Love 'em raw, though.... :roll:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Mai

Post by Mai » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:44 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote:RICE!!! I hate boiled potatoes!! Love 'em raw, though.... :roll:
I am not too grazy about boiled potatoes either, UNLESS they are new potatoes that Anja mentioned. Those ones are truly potatoes on their best just boiled and enjoyed with butter and bit of dill. Other times we don't really do any boiled potatoes at all. Too boring! We usually to mashed potatoes, or niced oven baked potato vedge's (marinated in oil and various spices and baked in very hot oven for crispy outside and fluffy inside), or jacked potatoes or creamy garlic or herb potatoes... What i love about potato is that you can do so many yummy things without spending all your salary on food.