Something wicked this way comes."

Re: old finnish lullaby

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Violette

Post by Violette » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:45 am

Laffs....

Um ok ...and your point is?...just where did you think I got the name of the song, lyricist and the band from..DUH
Having a brain can be dangerous, Einstein. :lightbulb:
" Men are like parking spaces; The good ones are taken and the only ones left are handicapped."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Well you can listen to the song through that service ( I think they give out trials free)
"By the pricking of my thumbs,

Violette

Post by Violette » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 am

P... are you trying to be nice?

I had gone there a few days ago and I tried to download the song. Maybe it told me to download some "player" which I didn't do. At any rate, thanks for your efforts in trying to finding it. Perhaps when I am in Finland I will buy the CD then. I just thought someone might have heard of this song... even if it is way old...
PS I had originally thought your avatar was of Einstein....ooops! didn't Albert have a nose for witches too??..smirks. :beamer:
I've never watched Black Adder, I guess I've mssed something.

Haide
" Men are like parking spaces; The good ones are taken and the only ones left are handicapped."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 am

Well if you asked nicely getting a CD and posting it isn't exactly impossible. (providing it can be found)

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Violette wrote:I may have found it. The song is probably called "Aiti ja Poika" written by Ville Alanko and performed by the Dalape Orkesteri. Anyway I still can't find the lyrics online nor a recording of the song, which may have been done much earlier...like in the 30's.
That song can be listened to and even bought as an MP3 on Spotify. I’m actually listening to it right now; here’s the screenshot. See this earlier discussion about Spotify.
znark

Violette

Post by Violette » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Hmmm Spotify won't open for me. I'm using a Mac with Safari as navigator. Jukka, is it the song I'm looking for? Ive gone to the previous discussion about Spotify, let's see what I can do... arggh

Violette

Post by Violette » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Im not very good at this...
Update...Ok cannot drag the icon to applications folder. Spotify is not available in Canada. I guess I'm screwed. Rhapsody is not avaialble in Canada either. No matter..thanks all.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:12 pm

A CD to canada is 3.80. Offers valid.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Violette wrote:Hmmm Spotify won't open for me. I'm using a Mac with Safari as navigator.
Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread, people are using Spotify from countries where the service hasn’t been officially launched yet but that requires technical trickery, such as using proxy servers, to circumvent geographical restrictions.
Violette wrote:Jukka, is it the song I'm looking for? Ive gone to the previous discussion about Spotify, let's see what I can do... arggh
The song only has two verses so here’s a quick transcription:

Poika-raukkani mahdat jo tietää,
kuinka vankila kolkko on.
Miksi rikoksen teit, sielunrauhani veit,
kylmän vankilan sellihin?
Sua ain’ muistelen, puolestas rukoilen,
oma lapseni armahin.

Kuinka päiväni jaksan ma kestää
kun mun poikani poissa on?
Kaikki antaisin pois kun vaan poikani ois,
luona äitinsä rakkahan.
Sua ain’ muistelen, puolestas rukoilen,
oman lapseni armahan.

Sorry, based on the lyrics it doesn’t seem to be the song you’re looking for, after all. :(
znark

Violette

Post by Violette » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Awww after all that fuss. No it isn't ...but it sounds nice. Thanks awfully !
I was silly to send it to my cousin but I thought she would appreciate it. I will just have to write her and ask for a copy...and then when I have it I will post it if you guys don't mind...don't know when tho'

Haide

Violette

Post by Violette » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Finally...

The song is called "Aiti, Sytytä Lamppu" performed by the famous Metro-Tytot. Written by Reino Helismaa.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Violette wrote:Finally...

The song is called "Aiti, Sytytä Lamppu" performed by the famous Metro-Tytot. Written by Reino Helismaa.
That one is available for listening and purchase on Spotify, too... at least when using Spotify from a Finnish IP address. (Screenshot) The price they ask for the 256 kpbs MP3 is €0.99.
znark

Violette

Post by Violette » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks Jukka for the info. I was only going to add that this song was mentioned in an earlier thread.

[quote="Hank W."]Its actually a Russian ballad popularized... 1910's even... but the slang version is a bit of a pisstake on the eyewatering... a bit like those "titanic" movie spoofs on youtube.

(now the point here is that the son wants the mother to put on the light. the "cry" version goes "Oi äiti, äiti, näin poika kuiskaa, sytytä lamppu, en nähdä voi, pian täältä lähden, en tunne tietä"... )

etc etc.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 pm