Benefits: Permanent Resident VS Citizenship ?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
misnomere

Post by misnomere » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi there,

What is the difference in ‘Benefits’ between Finnish Permanent Resident Visa (Card) and Finnish Citizenship ?

Before answering the question please consider that I am asking this as a foreigner (Non-EU citizen), and I am focusing specifically about the main benefits (Health care, Free education in schools and universities for children, Welfare, Pension…etc).

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Benefits: Permanent Resident VS Citizenship ?

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 pm

First things first: visa is for visiting, residence permit is for residing.

From your list, I can't point any difference between permanent resident and citizen.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Upphew wrote:First things first: visa is for visiting, residence permit is for residing.

From your list, I can't point any difference between permanent resident and citizen.
Yeah I agree with this too...
I am not an expert on the topic but I don't think there really is a difference when looking at the points in your list. One thing I am not sure about is if you can vote in a presidential election or not. For me I guess getting it also might depend on which country you are from and then you might benefit from having a Finnish passport over another country's passport. I am myself considering if I should apply for permanent residency this year or citizenship, I don't really wanna dish out 440€ with the little added benefit I get. Of course nowadays many countries are making it harder and more expensive for US citizens to enter their countries so if I keep traveling I might just get my 440€ "back" with not having to get visas and pay other entry fees.

I am also interested in listening to other comments about this :thumbsup:

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

jas_rho wrote: I am not an expert on the topic but I don't think there really is a difference when looking at the points in your list.
Monetary benefits aren't tied to citizenship status. it just might happen you'd get stranded on some crisis zone, and special evacuation place tickets would be prioritized on citizen's but that seems rather far fetched...
One thing I am not sure about is if you can vote in a presidential election or not.
Non-citizen's can't. The same applies to parliament elections and for non-EU citizens for the EU-parliament elections.

Other benefits include that citizenship is for life, residence permit is at least in principle revocable, although the threshold in cases of crimes seems to be very high. A residence permit may also be cancelled if you simply move out "on permenent basis" out of the country.

If somebody is planning to have children, they would inherit the citizenship, no matter where they are born and who the other parent is.

aseeb

Post by aseeb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 pm

If a person has been residing in finland for 6 years and has passed language test as well and is eligible for applying for the nationality, does his current status (working, jobless, learning language) makes any effect on his application?

1-What if person has been unemployed for last 1-2 years and is completely on benefits (sounds like a potential permanent burden on society but what happens if there is such a situation?

2- What if he is unemployed but going to some training programme which shows at least that he has some desire to work.

3- Going to a language course and again not working?

4- Stayed unemployed for 2-3 years and started working just some months befire filing the application.

Is there anybody with any knowledge or experience?

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:05 am

Being able to support yourself without public assistance is not a requirement for citizenship. You're asked to tell what is the source of your income, but that is to see that it comes from some legal source. Even social benefits are legal.

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 am

Being able to support yourself without public assistance is not a requirement for citizenship
Correct, but every application is judged individually. And it is stated explicit that even if you fulfil the official requirements (time, language, no criminal history) you might be rejected. Possible reasons for this are not given, so being a burden to society may or may not be of influence. It depends on how the guy handling the application thinks.
(I don't even know if an appeal is possible)

LAS_VEGAS

Post by LAS_VEGAS » Mon May 02, 2011 10:01 pm

AFAIK:
If you are a Finnish citizen:
You don't need a work permit to work in other EU countries.
You don't need a visa for Non-Schengen EU countries(Ireland, UK)
You don't need/You can get easier Visa for many non-EU countries
True Finns cannot kick you out of country
ImageImage