Residence permit with unpaid internship?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
melaverde

Post by melaverde » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

hello everyone!
I'm new in this forum, and I've been following you for a while. I hope you could be of help to me as well.
my question is:
How do internship periods (eg. in the design field) work here in Finland?
Can I ask for an “internship contract” (also not paid) from an employer, for more then three months, and then ask for a temporary residence permit at maistratti? From what I read, however, I need to show that I have at least 900EURpcm to support myself, but I have some small savings in the meantime..
Has somebody had similar experience? I'm a little confused about what to do.
I'm an EU citizen just graduated in Architecture less then one year ago.
Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

GWolf2012

Re: Residence permit with unpaid internship?

Post by GWolf2012 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi,
you are EU citizen (italian as me maybe?) why you need the residence permit? you can stay in Finland up to 3 months without problems (and you can go to Estonia one day and back to restart the count)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am

melaverde wrote:Can I ask for an “internship contract” (also not paid) from an employer, for more then three months, and then ask for a temporary residence permit at maistratti? From what I read, however, I need to show that I have at least 900EURpcm to support myself, but I have some small savings in the meantime..
You can ask, but they can't offer, legally. 1558€/month is the legal minimum they can pay to someone who as the education needed.
Collective agreement is binding, http://www.finlex.fi/data/tes/stes4666- ... th1111.pdf
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 am

melaverde wrote:Can I ask for an “internship contract” (also not paid) from an employer, for more then three months, and then ask for a temporary residence permit at maistratti? From what I read, however, I need to show that I have at least 900EURpcm to support myself, but I have some small savings in the meantime..
Has somebody had similar experience? I'm a little confused about what to do.
I'm an EU citizen just graduated in Architecture less then one year ago.
Thank you!
As an EU citizen, you do not need a residence permit in Finland. Never ever.

For up to 3 months you do not have to do anything at all.

If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you have to register your right of residence, and for that you need a health insurance and "sufficient" money or income (in that case it is irrelevant whether you are working or doing nothing). EU legislation does not allow the Finnish government to set a fixed limit for that, and the numbers you read were for non-EU citizens.

melaverde

Post by melaverde » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the quick replies!
now I have more info!
:)

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:16 pm

The problem is, with unpaid internship you won't be covered with health insurance past the 3 months your home country EHIC covers you. No money = no KELA.
Also, as far as the registration goes, you need to show "enough money" and "health insurance" which takes you back to that "unpaid".
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

anastasiia.ok

Post by anastasiia.ok » Fri May 24, 2013 8:48 am

Hello!
I have a similar problem. Unpaid internship, actually in the same field - architecture. And its unpaid only in the first couple of months, to ensure my employee that I value smth.
But I'm not an EU sitizen. And unfortunately I can't find any info about exact list of documents for this kind of residence permit. I've found only the application form at migri.fi. And as if I have a student residence permit which expires in September, I need to start collecting papers now.
I really hope you can help me to find info about it.
BR

Deni85

Post by Deni85 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Guido2046 wrote:and you can go to Estonia one day and back to restart the count
This is not possible. Estonia is part of Schengen area since 2007.

Lavinia

Post by Lavinia » Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm

@deni85 : Guido is actually right. Doesn't matter whether Estonia is or not part of schengen. If you are a European citizen, you just need to get out of the country. Estonia is not Finland, the trick works(and honestly, nobody cares. I told to the tax man, the police woman and the maistraati lady that I have been here for almost a year.I told them I had all the tickets that I kept for my outside trips. They couldn't be bothered less, if you have your own money and behave yourself nobody is EVER going to check you)

@pursuivant: I just registered my right of residence. Health insurance is not required, for Europeans-at least nobody asked it to me.

@melaverde(last but not least)-I don't know where you got the 900€ info. For residence permit, maybe, but for all the others it's just a matter of what the police station employee thinks of you. I brought a 2 week 400 € payslip, and they thought it was all right.
It would be better for you in any case to find a job WHATEVER job, to show that you are willing to do stuff. And speak in Finnish. They really are more friendly.
Btw, you can go at maistraatti and ask for a sotu before you actually register at the police-but nobody is going to take it into consideration, if you don't have a Finnish ID.
And just asking a sotu from maistraatti doesn't mean in any case that you are registered, that comes after you get the paper from the police station.

@anastasiia: sorry I have no idea how is it working for extra UE people. One thing you can do is go straight to the police and ask them, if there is a form, they are going to know. Good luck.

Noneucitizen

Post by Noneucitizen » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:21 am

Hello everyone,

I am a non-Eu citizen and I recently have been accepted by a university's lab as a nonpaid research intern for 2 months.

It is written that nonpaid research interns can not get residence permit. When I learned this, I was surprised because I got my acceptance letter and I have been searching for the requirements for a while.

I was planning to show that I am able to fund myself for these 2 months. Do you know anything that would help me to deal with the situation? Thanks :)

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:52 am

Noneucitizen wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:21 am
Hello everyone,

I am a non-Eu citizen and I recently have been accepted by a university's lab as a nonpaid research intern for 2 months.

It is written that nonpaid research interns can not get residence permit. When I learned this, I was surprised because I got my acceptance letter and I have been searching for the requirements for a while.

I was planning to show that I am able to fund myself for these 2 months. Do you know anything that would help me to deal with the situation? Thanks :)
Are you from a visa free country? If so you may not need a permit if it’s less than 90 days. Check with migri to be sure.