Car insurance: Unbelievably cheap

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Honest

Re: Car insurance: Unbelievably cheap

Post by Honest » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Didn't notice anything like this. I'm paying smaller premium for my second year than i paid for the first.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Didn't notice anything like this. I'm paying smaller premium for my second year than i paid for the first.
Be careful there - are you only looking at final price? There's a good chance you got another year's bonus!!!! And ALL companies recognize that.

Check your invoice - please look if you have the same DISCOUNT percentage!!

Companies count on people just glancing at their bills - and not for example seeing they got a higher BONUS discount.

On your toes!!!

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

saika1984 wrote:I heard from a friend couple that LähiTapiola refused to sell them car insurance (they had done that before) since they don't speak Finnish.
Apparently attitudes and 'policies' vary from person to person rather than across companies. Currently I am Lähitapoila customer myself and I did contract in exactly the same way (documents in Finnish, discussion in English).
Just for testing I will try to contact POP again another time and see how it goes.

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 am

Just for testing I will try to contact POP again another time and see how it goes
Don't forget to ask how long the 'discount' lasts! And what happens after one year, specifically. (About THEIR prices - remember - your bonus may increase after one year - but will increase with ALL companies).

Honest

Post by Honest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:29 am

harryc wrote:
Be careful there - are you only looking at final price? There's a good chance you got another year's bonus!!!! And ALL companies recognize that.

Check your invoice - please look if you have the same DISCOUNT percentage!!

Companies count on people just glancing at their bills - and not for example seeing they got a higher BONUS discount.

On your toes!!!
I don't need to worry much, I check all bills before paying. In other words I have not activated auto payment for my e-bills. After a couple of "unintentional" mistakes from different mobile service providers I decided to have a look at every bill before paying it. If they increase the price I'll just switch my insurance to any other better alternative. I don't care how many percent discount they are giving me, I'm only interested in the final payable amount.

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:11 pm

I don't care how many percent discount they are giving me, I'm only interested in the final payable amount.
All fine and good - but I do hope you realize, in any case, any %'s you get increased year-to-year are YOURS - and are not part of the particular insurance company - so when you compare companies, keep the 'bonus' part in a separate compartment.

Honest

Post by Honest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:52 pm

harryc wrote:
I don't care how many percent discount they are giving me, I'm only interested in the final payable amount.
All fine and good - but I do hope you realize, in any case, any %'s you get increased year-to-year are YOURS - and are not part of the particular insurance company - so when you compare companies, keep the 'bonus' part in a separate compartment.
Whenever you get a quote, online or offline, that bonus is always part of the calculations. So you need to know your bonus percentage to get a quote.

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:54 pm

So you need to know your bonus percentage to get a quote.
Actually you don't - it's in the common database the InsCos use - when I changed from Pohj to POP - POP knew exactly that I get 70%.

So if you are still under 70% pay attn to how much that increase is attributable to YOUR bonus - and count the insurance company price separately - and be ready to perhaps again change companies. :lol:

Honest

Post by Honest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 pm

You are right but at least you need to know when you doing it online.

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:24 pm

You are right but at least you need to know when you doing it online.
Interesting that one would be able to go deep into the 'purchase' system where the data otherwise available to the insurnce company would not override and assume the 'nation-wide known eg 70%'

Goes to show you why I try to access personal contact whenever possible (as opposed to 'on line')

jackal

Post by jackal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Nice post although it wasnt cheaper than my STD IF car insurance on the 2nd highest level.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:44 pm

I had an online chat with customer support of PopVakuutus and they said I can't buy the insurance over the phone if I don't speak Finnish and Swedish (I don't indeed) fluently. Has anyone here successfully bought the insurance using English? And in case I have a claim, is it possible to do that in English? My wife speaks Finnish but they said she can't buy the insurance for my car, which is weird. Is that true?

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:26 pm

that is what POP told me also .. below is word for word their reply when I asked for a quote from them
Hello!
If you want buy an insurance from Popvakuutus, you have to speak finish!

Y.T
Jouni Ikonen Myyntineuvottelija
after I picked myself up from the floor for laughing at this response to my attempt to spend money with them I went to pohjola where they had all documents, brochures, terms and conditions in english and spent my 1500euro with them. POP would not have been that much cheaper anyway.

The exclamation mark at the end of "you have to speak finnish!" was priceless. I still laugh today at it.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:31 pm

I was a bit surprised when the woman in online chat replied that I would need to speak Finnish & Swedish fluently in order to buy the insurance over phone call (since they don't have offices). After thinking for a while, I decided to buy the insurance on their Web site with great help of Google Translate. Before that I called to Pohjola and I got a quote of 1500e. Pop's offer is just half of that. Probably a great save but I don't know how I'm gonna deal with them in case I need to file a claim :?

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:40 pm

are you sure you are getting the same kind of cover? POP is part of the same company as Säästöpankki Insurance, the price is similar between the two of them and when I checked the price it was not much different to pohjola. I chose pojjola because I got a 25% discount for the first year due to being an existing household insurance customer of theirs (plus they spoke english in their office and all material in english).

50% discount from 1500 sounds like you are comparing liability + full insurance cover for your car with just liability insurance (which in my case was approx half the liability + full cover)

with pohjola I could adjust the policy by removing things like rental car cover, pushing the excess to 400e. it all helped bring down the cost (which I consider quite outrageous in finland since it's about 2x the price for insuring the same car in england)