Tenant does not pay the rent. what can I do?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
pupy

Post by pupy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Hello

I am currently renting apartment for a Finnish couple. And they are frequently paying it very late(2 months late) :ohno: . I really want them to move out but they kind of stick a lot to the apartment. Is there anything that I can do so that they move out in peace and pay all the rent :roll: :wink: ? Please give me suggestion. I really really upset with them now :twisted: . Thank you all for your suggestion :lightbulb: :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

richard berman

Re: Tenant does not pay the rent. what can I do?

Post by richard berman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Give them notice and then they have to go .
Web hosting from 8€ a month http://www.Oxterweb.net

pupy

Post by pupy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:02 am

Yes but the notice will have to be at least 3 months in advance. I give them the notice already by the end of May. But they are still paying late for last month and this month. Is there any limit for how long late that I can kick them out immediately. I took 2 months deposit but there is some damage in the apartment also that I think I need to fix.

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:08 am

Getting them to pay everything may turn out to be difficult. Having not paid two months rents (like now) is cause for termination (purku) of the contract. You do not even need to give warning in this case.

If you are afraid you'd have a difficulty in getting them out of the apartment even after that, you perhaps might as well start with having the court to confirm the "purku and häätö" (termination and eviction order).

The only way you can legally get them out if they are uncooperative (even after notice or termination of the contract), is to have the bailiff's office (ulosottovirasto) to enforce the court approved eviction order.

All of this would take a few months too, so it in practice it is also question do you think they'd be voluntarily moving out even in May?

pupy

Post by pupy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:34 am

thank you two very much for your information. I am 80% sure that they would move out in May. But I am very much afraid that they would not pay the April and May rent + damage of the apartment during their stay(1 key is lost and one kitchen drawer missing ...). If the contract is terminated itself and they are still living there, can I charge them something extra for the time of staying (I told them 100 eur/day). Is there any debt collector company that I can use to collect the debt? I am really in trouble with these tenants.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:14 am

pupy wrote:thank you two very much for your information. I am 80% sure that they would move out in May. But I am very much afraid that they would not pay the April and May rent + damage of the apartment during their stay(1 key is lost and one kitchen drawer missing ...). If the contract is terminated itself and they are still living there, can I charge them something extra for the time of staying (I told them 100 eur/day). Is there any debt collector company that I can use to collect the debt? I am really in trouble with these tenants.
Yes you can use any of the debt collecting companies. For example Lindorff. If you join the Finnish landlord's association you will also have access to they lawyers:

http://www.vuokranantajat.fi/

I do not know but I assume that their lawyers are savvy enough in English to help you. They also have a deal with Lindorff:

http://www.vuokranantajat.fi/attachemen ... 5-1972.pdf

pupy

Post by pupy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Thank you all for your information. It is so great to go to Finland forum and get all enthusiastic and helpful answers like this :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pupy

Post by pupy » Thu May 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Hello all kind hearts people again.
I really have trouble with this person living in my apartment. They have not paid rent for April and May and some part in March. I informed that they have to move out in May but they said they have trouble finding apartment at the moment and would like to stay 2 months more and refuse to move out. Hence I accept to rent to them for June and July more. Because I know asking lawyer for this matter would take time also. Thus better just settle things in peace.

But current contract is terminated, we need to sign another contract. But they don't want to sign new contract. They delayed it many times.
Is there any penalty for people moving out lately? Do I need to notice them of moving out by paper? I gave notice by email and SMS but not yet with paper. And how long should I inform in advance(as they have not pay for 2 months then contract ended by itself).

I am not sure now that they would move out in July also... Is there any suggestions what I can do?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu May 15, 2014 10:12 pm

pupy wrote:Hello all kind hearts people again.
I really have trouble with this person living in my apartment. They have not paid rent for April and May and some part in March. I informed that they have to move out in May but they said they have trouble finding apartment at the moment and would like to stay 2 months more and refuse to move out. Hence I accept to rent to them for June and July more. Because I know asking lawyer for this matter would take time also. Thus better just settle things in peace.
The email service of the landlord's association of max five business days and they also have a phone line. Asking a lawyer earlier would have saved you a lot of effort already.
pupy wrote: I am not sure now that they would move out in July also... Is there any suggestions what I can do?
See my earlier link.

pupy

Post by pupy » Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm

I asked lawyer but the answer was just: call back when they not moving out, we can not do anything now

onkko

Post by onkko » Fri May 16, 2014 1:03 am

pupy wrote:I asked lawyer but the answer was just: call back when they not moving out, we can not do anything now
We can give different answer than lawyer who knows what can be enforced but that doesnt really help you... Our answers wont change law.

Puppies and Rainbows will kick your tenant ass and rain money to you!!!!! Wohooooooo!!!!
Are you happy now?
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 16, 2014 1:49 am

pupy wrote:I asked lawyer but the answer was just: call back when they not moving out, we can not do anything now
Interesting answer but hard to comment on without the specifics. There's always been a case for eviction and collection as Rip has said.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 am

pupy wrote:They have not paid rent for April and May and some part in March. I informed that they have to move out in May but they said they have trouble finding apartment at the moment and would like to stay 2 months more and refuse to move out. Hence I accept to rent to them for June and July more. Because I know asking lawyer for this matter would take time also. Thus better just settle things in peace.
So you still start at zero with the eviction process at the end of July. If they are reluctant to pay, that won't change the longer you wait.
But current contract is terminated, we need to sign another contract. But they don't want to sign new contract. They delayed it many times.
If you have not terminated the contract (you allowed them to stay longer) the old contract is still valid, but without end date.
I am not sure now that they would move out in July also... Is there any suggestions what I can do?
Start an official eviction process based on unpaid rent.
I asked lawyer but the answer was just: call back when they not moving out, we can not do anything now
That's the easy way out for the lawyer. This is not an interesting case much work, but little profit. What did you ask the lawyer? A legal guarantee that they will move out or to start an eviction process?

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 am

rinso wrote: Start an official eviction process based on unpaid rent.
It seems OP may have agreed effectively them paying late (should not have done that).
Hence I accept to rent to them for June and July more

pupy

Post by pupy » Fri May 16, 2014 8:48 am

onkko wrote:
We can give different answer than lawyer who knows what can be enforced but that doesnt really help you... Our answers wont change law.

Puppies and Rainbows will kick your tenant ass and rain money to you!!!!! Wohooooooo!!!!
Are you happy now?
Thanks .. your answer made me happy ... 30 sec :)