eastenders and football

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jim

eastenders and football

Post by jim » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:42 pm

hi there all, moving to sunny finland soon and im going to miss my english football and my finnish wife is going to miss her eastenders! any ideas or knowledge out there that could help us? :shock: :shock:

eastenders and football

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

steev

Re: eastenders and football

Post by steev » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:57 pm

jim wrote:hi there all, moving to sunny finland soon and im going to miss my english football and my finnish wife is going to miss her eastenders! any ideas or knowledge out there that could help us? :shock: :shock:
Yeah:

Eastenders is rubbish (but don't worry it's not on TV anyway). I think you can get BBC prime on cable and watch older ones.

English footy - some Champions League matches on normal TV. Loadsa pubs showing English premier league games around (especially if you're in Helsinki), but you can get lots on cable if you want to buy it for 'Enders anyway.

Btw, yep ... it's been blue skies and sunny pretty much every day for the last couple of weeks in Helstinki, but also been -15 every morning! I love it!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:43 am

We have satellite TV (Canal Digital basic package) and we get BBC Prime. "Eastenders" episodes are shown one day late versus the UK. All the other programmes are re-runs of things you saw in the UK five years ago or even more. "Yes, Minister" is rerun every 6 months as are "Ready Steady Cook" and the "Weakest Link". I heard the UK culture minister say something this week about the BBC "taking the UK to the world and the world to the UK" well: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for football... we have a French analog decoder so we can watch international games from TF1, France 2 and France 3 but this won't last for ever as the French will eventually go digital. We don't get any football with our basic Canal package. And Finnish TV does not cover UK football.

Depending on where you live you might be able to install a dish to capture some UK satellite channels (Sky?) but then you should take out a monthly subscription from the UK (not strictly speaking allowed, however as long as you have a bill-to address in the UK they will never know). You can either rent your decoder from the UK or buy a multizone machine. But you should test reception from your future home first because Finland is a flat country with lots of trees... we have to keep hacking away at the vegetation in our garden to maintain our reception from the France Telecom sat.

And BTW, you can't get cable everywhere, there is none in our area.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:24 pm

Canal+ Family or Entertainment offers 2-6 (or even more) Premiership matches each weekend, + Serie A.

Good weekends you can get the early Saturday game, two games kicking off at 3 GMT, and even a late one at 5. Then there can be a Serie A at 9 (local).

Sundays can have a similar regimen. Mondays (early season has Mondays and Tuesday kick-offs) you get a game a day. When there are two games running, you can get one in Finnish and the other with the British commentary on their dedicated sports channel - usually Paddy Crerand is in the co-pilot's seat for Manure games so as to ensure that they can do no wrong. :twisted:

It costs.

Never bothered much with UK Prime. It often seems like a contradiction in terms.

Nelonen (Finnish) does the ECL, but if you want to get the decent stuff (live games on Tuesday and two matches on Wednesday) you'll need their digital side. I'm not sure how much choice they have in the games they take, but in the old days it used often to be Ajax/Barca (Litmanen) or Liverpool (Hyypiä) to keep the locals happy, so maybe they CAN cherry-pick.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:11 pm

Try going here: http://www.uknova.com/

You can download all your favourite UK tv and much of the footy as well.

You need ot get a 'client' software that allows the download to happen. I use Azureus just google on the word to find the download site.

Programes download bloody fast when they get going.

gooner

Post by gooner » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:12 pm

Just read from YLE text-tv; YLE will send rest of FA-cup games and maybe some England international home games too! GREAT!!!!!!

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:56 pm

gooner wrote:Just read from YLE text-tv; YLE will send rest of FA-cup games and maybe some England international home games too! GREAT!!!!!!
Wow looks like you're right! Thanks! It says Bolton - Arsenal and Saints - ManU are being shown live on Sat on YLE24(digital) and...... YLE HAVE BOUGHT RIGHTS TO SHOW ENGLAND HOME GAMES :D :D :D
½Image½Image