I made it!!!!!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
andlat

I made it!!!!!

Post by andlat » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:50 pm

Hi everyone! I am glad to share that after 6 months of trying I got my residence and work permit for a year :D . I would like to know what I am elegible for from the moment I have this permit. (regarding health, education, etc).

Thks for your help

Andy

I made it!!!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:57 am

What do you need..?
Health...do you have your Kela card?
Education..where and to study what?
..you have a work permit ..do you have a job?

andlat

Post by andlat » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:21 pm

I was not clear enough. I do have a job already, but I would also like to study. That´s why I sent my application to university of helsinki. They accepted it and I am getting ready now for my entrance examination in june. What I am looking fr is information regarding what am I elegible for regarding medical care, just in case it would be good to know if I can use public hospitals. (or is it better to hire international medical insurance?...). About the languaje, with the residence permit do I have the chance to participate in any course, I mean are there any prearranged courses for foreingers or do I have to find a private teacher?
What is that KELA card? . Is there anything else I have to know before moving that might be of help?(apart from weather, cell phones, daylight in summertime...)

Thanks for answering back so soon. I hope I have made my point clear. Is that I have so many questions in my head right now.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:25 pm

If you become a student most of your questions become errrmmmm 'academic'. You will be able to use the fairly efficient university healthcare system. You can take language courses at your school, or another university, you can work for up to 20 hours per week, full time in the summer holidays and of couerse you can get cheap housing and transport.

Downside is that only about 10% of foreign applicants to university will be offered a place. You might be well served to hit google or the site search and look for a few polytechnic courses, but hurry becasue closing dates roll round very soon.

If you do not get in then your country of origin becomes more important in answering your questions.

andlat

Post by andlat » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:19 am

Thanks for the advice Dusty-bin, I have a job already, and university would be a bonus. I have a place where to stay and no plans to look for answers in my home country, I hope I am good enough to pass the entrance examination at university of helsinki. If I am not, then I´ll just go on working and try again. What is that polytechnic courses?

Thanks again
Andy

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:52 am

andlat wrote:
What is that KELA card? . Is there anything else I have to know before moving that might be of help?(apart from weather, cell phones, daylight in summertime...)
Start reading through this little lot---

http://www...com/sauna/viewforum.php?f=20

When you get here find the nearest "Kela"... in English Social Security Office..to where you live.
Go in and present your residents permit. They will help you to fill in an application for a Kela Card. Which when presented at for instance a Pharmacy, will make you eligible for all of the benifits that "Kela" provides...as per here..
http://193.209.217.5/in/internet/english.nsf

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:41 am

Basically; when one works in Finland one is covered by the employer's (mandatory) health plan. Companies usually give directions to a dedicated "työterveysasema". Going to a public clinic... yes you can do that too, but you queue for 3 hours and then get a diagnosis of hypochondria... Dental work and glasses are generally not covered (for glasses you pay a lot in Finland). You will be given sour looks and a time 6 months from now if you go to a public dental clinic as they are under-resourced badly. Finding a private dentist cclose to work so you can pop over easily is the most convenient. Just because you can't really take a day off to go find your own clinic in the midst of the day travelling crosstown back to home... KELA might give some rebates for the dentist. They have the rules and the fees list (they last updated in 1980 or so) so its quite small potatoes.

One thing you should do is once you get a homeowners' insurance is get a freetime insurance as well (usually a 3rd one packaged is a travel insurance). For example if you slip on the ice going to work its covered by the workplace, but if you do it going to the store, then you're shafted.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:47 am

andlat wrote: What is that polytechnic courses?
Where you get bachelor's degrees. There you find quite a few English programmes. The "yhteishaku" is on right now.

http://www.helia.fi
http://www.evitech.fi
http://www.arcada.fi
http://www.stadia.fi
http://www.haaga.fi
http://www.laurea.fi
http://www.diamk.fi

and prolly a few more...
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:50 am

Hank W. wrote: Dental work and glasses are generally not covered (for glasses you pay a lot in Finland). You will be given sour looks and a time 6 months from now if you go to a public dental clinic as they are under-resourced .
One tip we should give to all those moving to Finland (from the UK cannot speak for other countries).
Get your new specs and get a full dental check and any treatment needed before you come. Opticians here and specs are "EXPENSIVE"...if you need any dental work done beyond a basic clean up..that also costs more here.

The advice I was given before I came here...was "Dont come with bad teeth, bad/old eye glasses, or a sick dog!"

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:01 am

PeterF wrote:
One tip we should give to all those moving to Finland (from the UK cannot speak for other countries).
Get your new specs and get a full dental check and any treatment needed before you come. Opticians here and specs are "EXPENSIVE"...if you need any dental work done beyond a basic clean up..that also costs more here.
I agree about the specs but Tallinn is not far away and cheaper and you can get specs over the internet (there was a thread about that some while ago) once you have had your eyes tested.

My (very, very old) great uncle has just been quoted over 1000 pounds for dental work and there is no way the NHS will pay for that (he is in his 90s).... It is as hard to find an NHS dentist in the UK as it is to get a KELA appointment here, and the private dentists are also VERY expensive. My husband found a reasonable dentist in Olari, you need to shop around and avoid the really posh places in the shopping malls.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:15 am

penelope wrote: My husband found a reasonable dentist in Olari, you need to shop around and avoid the really posh places in the shopping malls.
Agreed.
I found a very good dentist near where I work (Vihti)..she was trained in UK and is highly qualified..There is also a good UK trained dentist located in Malminkartano...near the Villi Hahni (Wild Goose Pub).
Both charge sensible prices...
Maippi uses a dentist in Tapiola near Stockmanns and her bills are :roll: :roll: but she still goes there..because :?: :?:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:20 am

PeterF wrote:There is also a good UK trained dentist located in Malminkartano...near the Villi Hahni (Wild Goose Pub).
Ah, thats nice to know, short distance to carry a straightjacketed bundle to...
(only way to get her to the dentist)
Maippi uses a dentist in Tapiola near Stockmanns and her bills are :roll: :roll: but she still goes there..because
The one across between Sokos and the bookstore? I go there because its a walking distance from work. Theres a gazillion dentists in the area tho.
Cheers, Hank W.

andlat

Post by andlat » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:27 pm

thanks for all the advice. I´ll take it into account. Do you of any of those polythecnic courses related to social science or political studies?
You have all been very helpful and that´s why I want to thank you.

Regarding my health, I just finished doing extra health checks, I checked my teeth, my blood, my entire body even my head!! I am healthy thank god! and I am not planning to run to the hospital as soon as I get there, but, you never know.

thank you all
Andy

Penny

Post by Penny » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:33 pm

nd I am not planning to run to the hospital as soon as I get there, but, you never know
Quite true, you never do know. I thought I was healthy too but ended up having surgery in Finland 2 weeks after I arrived. :shock: I was very impressed with the standard of the health service.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:15 pm

andlat wrote:any of those polythecnic courses related to social science or political studies?
Not really, they are for "real jobs" - you can get subjects skirting social studies but they are more into healtcare & social services aspect.
Cheers, Hank W.