Living in Finland as a foreigner

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Beep_Boop

Re: Living in Finland as a foreigner

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:26 am

Marsh04 wrote:Finland is a great country in many ways but that's a fact that racism and xenophobia is more prevalent here than the countries with longer/richer history of immigration and interaction with other cultures . I hope things will change with time.
For the last 3-4 weeks, I've been agreeing with about 90% of what you're saying. More importantly, I've been very impressed with the way you're presenting your arguments and opinions.
This might not mean anything to you, but, anyway, good job :thumbsup:

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:57 am

justaguy wrote:
Piet wrote:-Ridiculously stupid and nonsensical post full of incorrect information, stupid assumptions and a bunch of smileys to hide the fact that it's all just a stupid rant from a guy who's new here and yet thinks he knows everything-
Nice job at spending all that time giving out false information. Also :lol: @
Piet wrote: Of course you are right that foreigners always all over the world have more trouble finding work than natives, but compared to Finland (because that is what we are talking her about) it is easy, trust me...
Just when I thought that tl;dr rant of yours couldn't get any dumber. :roll:
Oho wrote:I am dumbfounded, I truly did not know that fresh graduates from Finnish universities let alone UAS's have such a reputation that only adequate English with as close as makes no difference to no national language is required to land a, presumably cushy, office desk if not a managerial position in Netherlands or Germany, I find that quite astonishing.

That said in the office of about 130 or so, don't have the exact head count, all continents save Africa are represented and unless I am wholly mistaken really none of my foreign colleagues speak particularly good if any Finnish.
Most fresh graduates from UAE or Uni are morons who, whilst they may have graduated from Uni, still don't know a @#$% thing about this country. 2/3.5 years later. :roll: You can't blame them from taking stupid advice from their friends that "It's so easy to find a job here". They probably all lied that they were employed on the first day and then had to stick with that for the remainder of the studies. Or they probably think that making €6 an hour in a pizza shop counts.

It's not the Uni's fault. On my orientation day my uni said that it wasn't easy to get a job here and that everyone should study Finnish really hard alongside their studies if they are planning on living and working here.

Euh.... I guess you made some copy paste errors, you created the first quote as it was done by me, that is incorrect... As if it were a replacement for what I wrote..that is your opinion based on nothing than assumption, I have been living here more than 25 years !!
Further you treat the second quote and the third as they were done by the same person (me and the one I disagree with Oho), so clearly that is wrong too. Let's say you were not awake yet? :wink:

You might want to edit your post a bit because of the obvious reasons, I mean it is ok to disagree with me but do not put words in my mouth (post) that is did not say (write).

Thank you

if god would give us the source code, we could change the world
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Marsh04 wrote:Finland is a great country in many ways but that's a fact that racism and xenophobia is more prevalent here than the countries with longer/richer history of immigration and interaction with other cultures . I hope things will change with time.
I think this is true of what happened in the UK. If you watch some UK TV from the 70's you'll see a massive amount of racism in the TV shows there, something that would not be tolerated now. Love Thy Neighbour and Mind Your Language come to mind, there is no way those shows would be made now. And the same is true of how accepting people are in the UK of different cultures compared to forty years ago.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Piet wrote: ....let me guess...IT related work...won't be long before that is actually outsourced to India or South Africa as well..no I am not a pessimist, I am a realist :D
Tide has changed again? Last that I heard, granted it was probably few years ago, the tide with outsourcing had already changed back.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Piet wrote:And even when someone writes in the newspaper about it, (proving my point with Netherlands)
http://yle.fi/uutiset/one_year_on_contr ... al/6988470
Your point about Netherlands being..? That you can expect to sit on your couch crying for 6 months and still don't speak the language and still (?) have struggle adapting to new country?
Those were the things she mentioned couple weeks back.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Upphew wrote:
Piet wrote:And even when someone writes in the newspaper about it, (proving my point with Netherlands)
Your point about Netherlands being..? That you can expect to sit on your couch crying for 6 months and still don't speak the language and still (?) have struggle adapting to new country?
The point about Netherlands is that there is less discrimination and way more tolerance and much bigger opportunities for foreigners in general compared to the (in her eyes and I tend to agree) situation in Finland.. (I think I already said that but I could be wrong :wink: ...)

Edit: oh can you paste a link to what you describe as something she mentioned a couple of weeks ago?
Edit2: oh can you also paste a link for
Tide has changed again? Last that I heard, granted it was probably few years ago, the tide with outsourcing had already changed back.
That would be greatly appreciated, too much posts here are without sufficient source material, making them somewhat questionable.
Last edited by Piet on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holland

Post by Holland » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Piet wrote:
Upphew wrote:
The point about Netherlands is that there is less discrimination and way more tolerance and much bigger opportunities for foreigners in general compared to the (in her eyes and I tend to agree) situation in Finland.. (I think I already said that but I could be wrong :wink: ...)
It's funny, because I tend to feel discriminated quite a lot in the Netherlands, and here barely. That isn't a hard-prooven fact ofcourse, but to me it feels that way. Overall I feel like the racism thing in Finland is highly overrated, and not a problem in such degree that reformations are needed. But ofcourse, that's my current perspective.
Image Image

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Holland wrote:
It's funny, because I tend to feel discriminated quite a lot in the Netherlands, and here barely. That isn't a hard-prooven fact ofcourse, but to me it feels that way. Overall I feel like the racism thing in Finland is highly overrated, and not a problem in such degree that reformations are needed. But ofcourse, that's my current perspective.
I agree, it is not so much about racism, but about the hidden discrimination of foreigners (at the job market) in general. Actually it came to my attention that it is easier for a Somalian guy to get a job than for an highly educated British female. It is like in the Netherlands in the 70's all the jobs the Finnish do not want to do, an (refugee) immigrant can do.

In Finland most is hidden, compared to Netherlands, here you will not have a politician shout at his Election "victory": Do you want more or less Moroccans!! like the moron Wilders. Soini is a little more smart so to say.. :wink:

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Honest

Post by Honest » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Holland wrote: It's funny, because I tend to feel discriminated quite a lot in the Netherlands, and here barely. That isn't a hard-prooven fact ofcourse, but to me it feels that way. Overall I feel like the racism thing in Finland is highly overrated, and not a problem in such degree that reformations are needed. But ofcourse, that's my current perspective.
Are you a dark skinned Dutch or one with a European look?

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Honest wrote:
Holland wrote: It's funny, because I tend to feel discriminated quite a lot in the Netherlands, and here barely. That isn't a hard-prooven fact ofcourse, but to me it feels that way. Overall I feel like the racism thing in Finland is highly overrated, and not a problem in such degree that reformations are needed. But ofcourse, that's my current perspective.
Why do you ask???? check out his flags in his signature.. Dutch and Italian ...that should tell you the answer you want to know. (or at least give you a hint).

HerraMopsi

Post by HerraMopsi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Have you considered that the relative monocultarlism of Finland is what makes it such a great country to live in? Why would you hope for this to change?

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:07 pm

HerraMopsi wrote:
Have you considered that the relative monocultarlism of Finland is what makes it such a great country to live in? Why would you hope for this to change?
You must be joking, I cannot answer for Marsh04 but personally I would find the general culture in Finland one of the minuses of living here, it is all the other stuff that makes living here great.

This makes living in Finland great: (not the people and their culture)

Honest

Post by Honest » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Piet wrote:
Honest wrote:
Why do you ask???? check out his flags in his signature.. Dutch and Italian ...that should tell you the answer you want to know. (or at least give you a hint).
Anybody can put any flags for a hundred different reasons but the reason I asked is because Iwanted to see if he was talking about the discrimination which blacks and darks face here or the kind of discrimination locals here are also complaining about sometimes.

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Piet wrote:...
You don't run out of clichés do you.....