? for native English speakers and anyone else

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
karen

Post by karen » Mon May 30, 2005 7:41 am

Over the weekend some friends and I got together. There was a conversation in English where a Swede-Finn husband corrected his American wife. She and I are from similar places and have no experience with islands. The conversation about a restaurant was something like this:

Her:... it's on Lauttasaari
Him: it's IN Lauttasaari

She said it the way I would have said it. I asked my husband later how he would say it in Finnish and he said that it would be Lauttasaaressa because Lauttasaari is also a place like Leppävaara or Matinkylä. So I understand where the husband was coming from.

But here's my question: How do other native English speakers, especially with island experience, refer to the location of a place that is in/on an island? I've been going over this in my head and under my breath almost all weekend and I'm still coming up with ON. I'm open to learning something new or a confirmation of my way of thinking. As I've stated, I have no experience at all with islands or cities on islands. Maybe it's because the place has "saari" in the name and I'm stuck in a language rut.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

RA

Post by RA » Mon May 30, 2005 8:19 am

:? Now I'm confused too!

If there's the word island in the sentence I'd definetly use ON.
Like: It's on Rusinga island.

Lauttasaari??? I think both would be correct, depending on the way you think.....Lauttasaari=Lautta island(?) It's on Lautta island = It's ON Lauttasaari.

But then for some islands we use IN. It's in England, It's in Madagascar... but those are names of countries....
Aaaargh :x Somebody who knows grammar, help.
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon May 30, 2005 9:03 am

I would use "in" for any populated island ie: with buildings, town(s), and people. I would use "on" for an island that is virtually uninhabited like most of the islands in the Espoo archipelago. So, in Lauttasaari, in Kulosaari etc but probably on Korkeasaari because there are only animals there :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 30, 2005 10:19 am

I'd say "in" because its a "part of the city".
Agree with the logic of Lauttasaari vs. Korkeasaari.
Do you live in or on Katajanokka? ;)
Are you in or on Manhattan?

But one has to remember the in/on is confusing to Finns as well, as every place is arbitrary, You live in Turussa, Helsingissä, Jyväskylässä, but then all of a sudden Tampereella, Virroilla...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Mon May 30, 2005 1:37 pm

Technically both are correct. There is a slight difference in the usage depending upon usage.

Example:
In is the least specific, on is more specific, and at is the most specific.

With time expressions:

in 2005
in January
on Monday
at two o’clock.

With location expressions:

I live in Pennsylvania.
In live in Pittsburgh.
I live on 10th Street.
I live at 345 East 10th Street.

posseidon

Post by posseidon » Mon May 30, 2005 3:02 pm

After some thought I would conclude that you must use 'in' when referring
to position regarding a proper noun, e..g 'to live in Åland' , and to use 'on'
when referring to an improper noun - e.g. 'to live on the Isle of Man' -
Isle of Man in itself is a proper noun, however 'Isle' is not and is the
subject of the sentence and therefore takes precedence when considering
the preposition to use. 'Lauttasaari' is similar to 'Isle of Man', however the fact
that it refers to the 'island of Lautta' is only explicit in the context of the
Finnish language, not English, and therefore it is considered as a whole
a proper noun and you live 'in' it, not 'on' it.
Last edited by posseidon on Mon May 30, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RA

Post by RA » Mon May 30, 2005 3:17 pm

posseidon wrote:After some thought I would conclude that you must use 'in' when referring
to position regarding a proper noun, e..g 'to live in Åland' , and to use 'on'
when referring to an improper noun - e.g. 'to live on the Isle of Man' -
Isle of Man in itself is a proper noun, however 'Isle' is not and is the
subject of the sentence and therefore takes precedence when considering
the adverb to use. 'Lauttasaari' is similar to 'Isle of Man', however the fact
that it refers to the 'island of Lautta' is only explicit in the context of the
Finnish language, not English, and therefore it is considered as a whole
a proper noun and you live 'in' it, not 'on' it.
This all seems to make more sense now, but I must ask another question, that's really muddling it a bit more. Americans do tend to say ' I live on Long Island', isn't Long Island a proper noun? Or would this then be another of the American English / British English differences? Or then another exception to the rule?
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

posseidon

Post by posseidon » Mon May 30, 2005 3:21 pm

Americans do tend to say ' I live on Long Island', isn't Long Island a proper noun?
This is a similar example to 'Isle of Man'. 'Long Island' is a proper noun, but the 'Island'
is the subject of the sentence and takes precedence - 'island' is improper and takes the
'on' form. As someone posted earlier 'in' is more specific than 'on' as it relates to a
particular place, i.e. a named place.

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Mon May 30, 2005 3:42 pm

I think "on" an island is more common but "in" could be used if it's mostly one town.

Should one say in the station or on the station? Either.
Should one say in Canterbury or at Canterbury? Either.

BTW I live "in" a mountain (vuoressa) according to the local Finnish usage. I used to live either "in" or "on" a hill (mäessä or mäellä), as the locals weren't in full agreement.
Image Image

Amiel

Post by Amiel » Mon May 30, 2005 5:36 pm

I say ON an island.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon May 30, 2005 7:04 pm

penelope wrote:I would use "in" for any populated island ie: with buildings, town(s), and people. I would use "on" for an island that is virtually uninhabited like most of the islands in the Espoo archipelago. So, in Lauttasaari, in Kulosaari etc but probably on Korkeasaari because there are only animals there :wink:

A delightful spin-off from Penelope's eminently sensible post:

ON an island, but when two or three islands are gathered together, as in the case of the Scillies, the Seychelles or the Maldives or any decent archipelago, it's suddenly back to IN, regardless of habitation.

As for places like Kuusisaari or Kulosaari or Lehtisaari, I'd always put proper name and association (in this instance clearly-defined suburb/district/residential area) before geography and would go for "in Lauttasaari", just as I think it sounds daft to say "he lives on Manhattan".

HOWEVER...some inexplicable and potent magnetic force drives me towards saying "he lives on Åland" rather than "he lives in Åland", though I suppose to be precise I could stick in "Islands" after it and then I'd be quite happy with "lives in the Åland Islands".

I guess it's in part because I do not consider the Helsinki "island suburbs" as bonafide islands at all - you don't exactly need to get your feet wet getting there. There's a nice restaurant on Pihlajasaari, however, and (even though there's a bridge), there's an open-air folk museum on - rather than in - Seurasaari.

Just goes to show how limiting is a grammar book - unless it's the size of a small island.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 30, 2005 10:09 pm

Well Åland is a "decent" archipelago, innit? BTW Åland is the name of the archipelago, the biggest island is called 'mainland'
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon May 30, 2005 10:31 pm

Hank W. wrote:Well Åland is a "decent" archipelago, innit? BTW Åland is the name of the archipelago, the biggest island is called 'mainland'
All sound stuff, Hank, and now I come to think of it, I probably would say "He lives on Vårdö".

But I didn't think to think that yes, it's called Manner-Ahvenanmaa. Maybe it's the rather lukewarm Swedish that put me off: "Den största ön är fasta Åland vars areal utgör ca 70 procent av
den totala landarealen och på vilken 90 procent av befolkningen är
bosatt."

I think for me it's got something to do with it being one large lump and a few straggly bits, and not a proper smithereens type of archipelago, which is more what you get around Turku.

Malla

Post by Malla » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:30 pm

The restaurant is on the island.

If you use 'in', it seems the restaurant is somehow inside the island.

You can live in Helsinki, cause you are in Helsinki.
But you can't live on Helsinki as that would mean you are on top of it.

That is the way I would say it.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:23 pm

Malla wrote:The restaurant is on the island.

If you use 'in', it seems the restaurant is somehow inside the island.

You can live in Helsinki, cause you are in Helsinki.
But you can't live on Helsinki as that would mean you are on top of it.

That is the way I would say it.
Malla, the question was not specifically about "in or on the island", it was "in or on Lauttasaari", and since Lauttasaari is seen first and foremost as a residential district and only secondarily in its geographical context as an island, most people familiar with the locale would use "in" - just as they would use "in" for Chelsea, regardless of the fact that actually the name means Chel's Island.

And no, Chelsea has nothing to do with the sea: the -ea suffix is a hangover from Viking/Danelaw influence and is found all over Eastern England in such names as Horningsea, Manea, Shippea Hill, Whittlesey, Swavesey, and even I suspect crops up (though Lord knows why, unless the Danes also trashed Normandy) in the names of the Channel Islands - Jersey, etc. It also appears in the form -eyot (pronounced "ait") in Chiswick Eyot in London.

But anywhoo, the bottom line is that we don't say the restaurant is on Chelsea. :)

Nor do we say he lives on Stockholm, even if "-holm" is a standard suffix for island.