finnish food- rich or bland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Is Finnish food rich or bland

Rich
32%
Bland
68%

Total votes: 41

RA

Post by RA » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:37 pm

I attended a wedding some time back and the food served was basic Finnish and it was very good. They had 2 different types of salads, potatoes of course, a lovely roast and stew (a red-wine base- I think), veggies, fish smoked and salted, karelian pies and bread. The guests we were seated with were all from England (all first timers to Finland) and it was interesting to hear their comments on the food- "Oh! Finnish food is very rich, isn't it", "Yes, you're right", "There's so many different types of tastes hitting you at one go, aren't there?". On the other hand I've heard foreigners complaining about Finnish food - "it's tasteless", "it's bland" etc. So what do you think?

saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

acwan

Post by acwan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:43 pm

We traveled to Southern Europe with some Finnish friends of ours. While I was in 7th heaven with the food (that was, for once, well-seasoned!), all our friends could do was complain about how salty the food was and how Finnish food was so much better! :shock: My Finnish friends still laugh at me when they see me salting the boiled potatoes (actually they piss in their pants when they see me put salt on anything!) :x

RA

Post by RA » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 pm

acwan wrote: My Finnish friends still laugh at me when they see me salting the boiled potatoes (actually they piss in their pants when they see me put salt on anything!) :x
:lol: Me too. I just got a lecture at the neuvola. You need to stop using salt!!

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:43 pm

RA wrote: :lol: Me too. I just got a lecture at the neuvola. You need to stop using salt!!

Or you need to come to Ostrobothnia where salt is considered one of the 4 basic food groups :wink: :lol:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:33 pm

Karelian pasties and potato salad seem to be the staple of any function that I attend. There seems to be a liking for cold food and warm meals seems to be more for sit-down dinners. Still can't get used to that - must have my two hot meals daily!

My first "introduction" to Finnish food was at a school during my first visit to Finland. There was a conference held on a school premise and the meals were provided by the school canteen - not a very good first impression. :cry: My husband said school food put him off fish and suspect veggies until I "nurtured" him past his trauma :P

But we went for a farm holiday and white water rafting in Eastern Finland two summers ago and the food was excellent! Karelian stew, lohi kukko (salmon in breadloaf), smoked fish and cakes and pies topped with farm grown berries for dessert. That was rich...

Has anyone tried reindeer meat and other exotic meats?

acwan

Post by acwan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Shazzer wrote:Has anyone tried reindeer meat and other exotic meats?
I like smoked reindeer meat (although it took some getting used to since I don't generally like venison). I also tried bear meat at a Russian rest., and it was soo good and tender, the meat actually tasted sweet. One of the BEST meat dishes I've ever had. I highly recommend trying both.

luoto

Post by luoto » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 pm

Or you need to come to Ostrobothnia where salt is considered one of the 4 basic food groups
..followed by Korv Görans Kebab, Koti Pizza and McDonald's/Hesburger...

... someone inside 06 writes.

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:58 am

acwan wrote: I also tried bear meat at a Russian rest., and it was soo good and tender, the meat actually tasted sweet. One of the BEST meat dishes I've ever had. I highly recommend trying both.
Thanks for the recommendation. Will bring my guests to try the bear meat next time! Do you remember the name of the restaurant? There are quite a number of Russian restaurants around in Helsinki. I would also love to try a good borsch soup.

Aino and Nokka are rather good Finnish restaurants. Any other good Finnish restaurants to recommend? I saw a Lapland restaurant called "Lappi" I think. Any good?

Has anyone tried The Fish Market? It's a basement restaurant along Esplanadi.

BTW, a quick question: What is cod in Finnish? I love fish but in Finland I've only ventured towards the salmon, rainbow trout and bream. Any advice on the best places to buy fish and what kind? I usually shop for chicken at the Kauppahalli but haven't tried getting fish from there.

acwan

Post by acwan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:42 am

Shazzer wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. Will bring my guests to try the bear meat next time! Do you remember the name of the restaurant? There are quite a number of Russian restaurants around in Helsinki. I would also love to try a good borsch soup.
Unfortunately, I think the restaurant has shut down. However, I understand it might be standard fare on the menus of many of the upscale Russian restaurants around here.

I've heard the Fish Market is ok by European standards, and subpar by American standards (i.e., Boston's Legal Seafood).

aide

Post by aide » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:19 pm

BTW, a quick question: What is cod in Finnish?
It's turska. Where I live you can get it from Kauppahalli.

khu

Post by khu » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:52 pm

How about rich AND bland? The girlfriend's mother's cooking is mostly potato and meat, of course. It's certainly rich in the sense that it's full of oils and fats and usually has a full and dense feeling, but I wouldn't say that there 'so many types of tastes hitting you at one go'. I'd say there's probably relatively few tastes hitting me -- 3 or so. :) The use of spices is very limited, also.

I enjoy the food, but I'm not sure I could take long periods of it without a break for something like Chinese style steamed in black bean sauce, Vietnamese pho, some Thai curries, etc.

Also, maybe the aversion to salt is part of the recent (well, 90's) campaign to reform the Finnish diet. There is a hereditary predisposition to heart disease and blood pressure in Finland at a higher frequency than found in many other less genetically homogenous populations.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:23 am

Well, I could counter-state that the "richness" is the genuine flavors of the ingredients, instead of dousing the food with spices to cover up the rotten meat :twisted: - have you guys seem medieval cooking recipes? ouch!

The usage of spices has been quite conservative, people used to grow their own herbs, but this lore has more or less disappeared the past generations as people have given up their gardens.

I'd say I've been to places where without a handful of salt the food is deemed "tasteless" and with three whole black peppers "too hot". I guess its the acquired taste.

Anti-salt thing has been around since the 1970-1980's - the 1990's started to have anti-egg (cholesterol movement.) And Khu is right on the spot of why.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

khu

Post by khu » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:35 am

Hank W. wrote:Well, I could counter-state that the "richness" is the genuine flavors of the ingredients, instead of dousing the food with spices to cover up the rotten meat
I don't think garlic, sesame oil and green onions stir fried with any ingredients can be said to 'cover up' anything. It's just the 'genuine flavor' of garlic and sesame.

You remind me of a Japanese man I once conversed with. He mentioned that Japanese cuisine doesn't use as much hot spices as Chinese cuisine. I asked him why that was and he became defensive, insisting that Japanese like to taste 'natural' flavors in their food. I guess I hadn't realized that chili peppers were unnatural spices...from outer space, presumably?

RA

Post by RA » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:42 am

I agree with Hank that Finns are quite conservative with their use of spices. Nowadays though you do find more spices and herbs available in the supermarkets than before :D . Sometimes I do wonder though that when some people talk about spicy food they mean just throwing in loads and loads of chilli which actually just dumbs all the taste buds and you don't taste the food itself. Also I notice that when people make chicken here 9/10 times they'll use curry to 'spice' it up.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:58 am

khu wrote:. I guess I hadn't realized that chili peppers were unnatural spices...from outer space, presumably?
You go frolicking in the chili bushes growing wild in Finland and Japan a lot?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.