Thoughts on how Finnish language impacts culture? Or differences between Swedish and Finnish-speaking Finns

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
lumenF

Thoughts on how Finnish language impacts culture? Or differences between Swedish and Finnish-speaking Finns

Post by lumenF » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 am

I wasn't sure what subforum this should go in, but ever since I learned about Finnish, I've been fascinated with how different it is from other languages in spite of the culture in Finland being similar to that of Sweden.

I already asked this on Quora, but figured I'd drop the question here in case anyone had any ideas or experiences related to this.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Thoughts on how Finnish language impacts culture? Or differences between Swedish and Finnish-speaking Finns

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 am

Among the Nordic countries, there is a long tradition of co-operation in various ways, which undoubtedly has brought them closer to one another, as an example citizens have not needed a passport for traveling between the countries since the 1950's and going across the (land) border for e.g. shopping is quite common.

On the mainland the vast majority of Swedish-speaking Finns are bilingual, more or less with a native proficiency in Finnish. Ahvenanmaa is different, as its legally Swedish-speaking, and speaking Finnish is not-uncommonly shunned upon. Also, there are various other decrees in the law about the region.

lumenF

Re: Thoughts on how Finnish language impacts culture? Or differences between Swedish and Finnish-speaking Finns

Post by lumenF » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Ah, that makes sense. About the bilingualism I mean. I wouldn't have guessed Ahvenanmaa shuns Finnish, but it's looking like I'll get a very different picture whether I search about it as Åland or by its Finnish name. Tahnks for the info. :)

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:31 am

lumenF wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:43 pm
Ah, that makes sense. About the bilingualism I mean. I wouldn't have guessed Ahvenanmaa shuns Finnish, but it's looking like I'll get a very different picture whether I search about it as Åland or by its Finnish name. Tahnks for the info. :)
Recently there was a news story (albeit in a tabloid publication) about the language issue: https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201806 ... 9_u0.shtml , which also seems to have caused a bit of a stir: https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201806 ... 2_u0.shtml

The gist being that it's commonplace to not want to hear/speak Finnish, though more so in the past than nowadays. I think it's pretty much common knowledge, regardless of which "side" one asks, so not really a matter of opinion. Then again, generally the people living on the mainland rarely if ever think about it, if it doesn't concern them personally.

Valinnan vapaus

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm

All I know is it was a minor sort of mind-f*** talking English to a Swedish-speaking Finn once because her Finnish wasn't so great. It's easy to forget about "those people". :) My ex also had some family somewhere near Turku and they went between their Finnish and Swedish a lot. But yeah not nearly all of them have as fluent Finnish as normal Finns do.

There were studies that showed that Swedish-speaking Finns are a bit healthier. Check this stuff: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomenruo ... nkielisiin