Dental care while waiting for Residence Permit?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am

Hello. I'm still waiting for my residence permit so I'm not sure if I'm covered by public healthcare? I'm having toothache and I can see a bit of decay. I might need a tooth filling. What are my options? Is it only private dental clinics? Or is there a public dental place that will accommodate me despite the lack of residence permit?

My travel insurance won't cover it, from what I've read on the contract.

I live in Järvenpää. Can I go to a place something like this municipal dental care? https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/en/socia-he ... ntal/fees/

Kiitos.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Retread

Re: Dental care while waiting for Residence Permit?

Post by Retread » Wed May 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Please contact your insurer in the first place and ask. They may say yes, even though most policies state pain relief only. A good insurer will cover you.

Note to readers ...
* Always, always, always read the fine print of policies before purchase or during the cooling off period. Especially dental. Forget the small stuff (daily hospital allowance) and consider the larger, more expensive 'possibilities." Especially if you have children.
* Always contact the insurer before treatment or at the first opportunity.

Insurers will get out of it if they can. I have heard many true stories of medical treatment costing policy holders a truckload of money AND this after they paid the policy cost.

Double whammy!

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Wed May 08, 2019 11:33 pm

They're not a good insurer. Most of the insurers from my country aren't. Have read the google reviews about them. I honestly just took that insurance because it's a requirement for visa. Didn't expect I would need dental treatment before I get RP.

I'll try to ask them but I doubt they'll agree.

So my only option really is private dental clinics in Finland?

Retread

Post by Retread » Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 pm

Which country sorry? I hope it's not the USA. "Blood out of a stone" comes to mind.

Perhaps someone else knows the answer re public vs private. I know my mother-in-law had a check, clean and 2 fillings today for 302e

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu May 09, 2019 3:06 pm

quillcentaur wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am
Hello. I'm still waiting for my residence permit so I'm not sure if I'm covered by public healthcare? I'm having toothache and I can see a bit of decay. I might need a tooth filling. What are my options? Is it only private dental clinics? Or is there a public dental place that will accommodate me despite the lack of residence permit?
If you have a municipality of residence in the population register, you are covered by the public healthcare. It depends on your situation whether you have the marking before getting a RP. Probably the public dental places have price lists for uncovered foreigners but you should ask to verify.

vla

Post by vla » Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:06 pm
quillcentaur wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am
If you have a municipality of residence in the population register, you are covered by the public healthcare. It depends on your situation whether you have the marking before getting a RP. Probably the public dental places have price lists for uncovered foreigners but you should ask to verify.
It's not possible to have a municipality of residence without a residence permit.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 10, 2019 9:23 am

vla wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 pm
It's not possible to have a municipality of residence without a residence permit.
The law provides for family members to get a municipality of residence without a residence permit.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 40201#L2P4

vla

Post by vla » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:23 am
vla wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 pm
The law provides for family members to get a municipality of residence without a residence permit.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 40201#L2P4
I don't speak finnish, but thanks for the link. Do you know if there is a limit in the processing of the registration? They said it would take 5 weeks, and I am afraid I can loose the place in day care if I don't have the registration soon. Maybe I will open a new thread.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 10, 2019 12:55 pm

vla wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am
I don't speak finnish, but thanks for the link. Do you know if there is a limit in the processing of the registration? They said it would take 5 weeks, and I am afraid I can loose the place in day care if I don't have the registration soon. Maybe I will open a new thread.
A new thread is better.

erkkaseppanen

Post by erkkaseppanen » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Hey. How did you solve this problem? I have the same issue at the moment and I am looking for an answer. Should I go to private ?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Yes you are better off going to private