Moving to Finland and importing car

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
MirjaP

Post by MirjaP » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Our family is possibly moving to Helsinki (from USA) later this summer. We have an older car (2009 Honda Civic with 120,000 miles) that is only worth approximately 4000 euros if sold in the States. Does it make sense to import this car? Or should we sell it and buy a car in Helsinki?

I think the decision is determined financially by the difference between the cost of shipping the car vs the tax on the car purchase. We have a rough estimate from a car shipper for approximately 1800 euros (1200 euros plus various destination fees) to ship the vehicle from Newark to Hanko. Is it correct that the purchase tax for a car is approximately 30% of the car's value?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Moving to Finland and importing car

Post by heretostay » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm

DO NOT DO IT!!!! I imported a car from the USA and there were so many hidden requirements, fees, and taxes that it was not worth it at all. Everyone advised me to not do it and I didn’t listen. Biggest regret of my transition here.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 pm

MirjaP wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 pm
I think the decision is determined financially by the difference between the cost of shipping the car vs the tax on the car purchase.
Your car passes Finnish vehicle inspections without additional repairs?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:34 pm

You still have to pay import taxes and then another car tax to register the imported car. And then you might have to modify major parts of your car to be street legal in Finland. Then there is the issue of needing repairs down the road. Parts may be harder to come by and more expensive if the exact same model isn’t common in Europe. Huge can of worms and especially a more than 10 year old car. You can get something here comparable easily for about 5000€ total cost, maybe even less.

MirjaP

Post by MirjaP » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Thank you so much for the advice! I think we'll definitely be selling the car and purchasing something in Helsinki! As much as we love our Honda it isn't as popular a brand as VW (or even Toyota) in Finland.

thompsonmax

Post by thompsonmax » Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm

heretostay wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm
DO NOT DO IT!!!! I imported a car from the USA and there were so many hidden requirements, fees, and taxes that it was not worth it at all. Everyone advised me to not do it and I didn’t listen. Biggest regret of my transition here.
Wow I havent known that. Is it still the same nowadays? Thanks.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu May 07, 2020 8:46 am

thompsonmax wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm
heretostay wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm
Wow I havent known that. Is it still the same nowadays? Thanks.
There are requirements e.g. for headlights and indicators, that they have to meet the standard here. Depending on the model, it might be expensive and/or difficult to find the parts. Trafi can grant exceptions, I don't know what would be an accepted reason, but e.g. the change being expensive or difficult is not. All in all, with all the hassle involved (transportation, taxes, required modifications, inspection, registration,...), IMO not worth the effort for a run-of-the-mill daily driver. Better to sell the car and buy another here, or from elsewhere in EU, e.g. Sweden or Germany and import that (there are companies that handle all the bureaucracy), which can be cheaper (in the 20 000€+ range) than getting a car with similar spec here.

Jayfly uk

Post by Jayfly uk » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Can anyone suggest a Classic car inspection mechanic for a 30+ year car?
Thankyou JF

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:01 am

Jayfly uk wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:02 pm
Can anyone suggest a Classic car inspection mechanic for a 30+ year car?
Thankyou JF
What is the make (and model) of the car in question? Where in Finland are you located?

There are car clubs (for various makes) online, from which one can get invaluable information. Do a search, and ask around.