Rural buses

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Western Rover

Rural buses

Post by Western Rover » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:22 pm

My completely unscientific search, with a much too small sample size, suggests to me that Finland seems to have a less comprehensive network of buses outside cities than does Sweden. I'm searching for houses on at least 5000 m^2 (1.25 acres) land in a certain price range in Uusimaa, Finland (on oikotie) and Uppsala County, Sweden (on hemnet), so that winds up finding houses in the types of areas where in the US I would never expect to see a city bus, only a possible school bus. That's also what I'm finding in Finland, but in Sweden I often see a nearby bus stop for one of the routes in the regional bus network.

Do these results reflect an underlying reality of less rural bus coverage in Finland than Sweden, or is it just random coincidence based on the particular properties I've looked at? Or is it peculiar to Uusimaa and Uppsala County, and if I took a view of the two countries as a whole this difference would disappear?

Rural buses

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Rural buses

Post by rinso » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:05 pm

The rural bus services are indeed limited. Not only are there few routes, but also the schedule depends on the school season. (fewer busses in summer)
When it comes to the countryside you cannot do without a car unless you're rich enough to pay for taxis.

DMC

Post by DMC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm

If my area is anything to go by you should also bear in mind that the presence of a bus stop does not necessarily mean a bus has been seen there at any time this century.

Western Rover

Post by Western Rover » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 am

rinso wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:05 pm
When it comes to the countryside you cannot do without a car unless you're rich enough to pay for taxis.
We would definitely have at least one car; however, judging by the cost of acquiring and keeping a car and license in Finland, we probably won't have cars for all our kids, and I don't want to be a chauffeur driving them into town to see friends all the time. With buses they could have a modicum of independence. What do Finnish young adults in rural areas normally do?
DMC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm
If my area is anything to go by you should also bear in mind that the presence of a bus stop does not necessarily mean a bus has been seen there at any time this century.
Rest assured I'm also looking at bus schedules, once I find the stop. This research is for discovering the general feasibility of moving to one of the Nordic countries, and which one. I don't expect that any of these particular houses will still be for sale when we're ready to move.

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:55 am

What do Finnish young adults in rural areas normally do?
They move to the city when they start higher education. (where they quickly get a second-hand car. :lol: )

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 am

Western Rover wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 am
We would definitely have at least one car; however, judging by the cost of acquiring and keeping a car and license in Finland, we probably won't have cars for all our kids, and I don't want to be a chauffeur driving them into town to see friends all the time. With buses they could have a modicum of independence. What do Finnish young adults in rural areas normally do?
They get a motorcycle licence when they turn 15.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:23 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 am
Western Rover wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 am
They get a motorcycle licence when they turn 15.
Rather moped or tractor.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.