the real meaning of limonadi

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:33 am

When I was a kid, I once got a hold of some of that laxitive gum ... it was yummy ... I ate the whole box
:shock: I'm sure that would've been a.......pleasant.....experience..... :? lol.

All of this lemonade talk is confusing. Here we just call lemon soft drink 'lemonade' (eg sprite) and we call traditional lemonade just traditional lemonade i guess.

Why do Americans call soft drink 'pop' or 'soda' :|

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

khu

Post by khu » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:39 pm

You know what soda-water is? :)

Water with carbon dioxide gas, or, originally, water with dissolved sodium carbonate (soda) which gives it its fizziness.

And what is soda/soda pop? Flavoured soda water!

That's why we call it soda: 'cuz it is!

Penny

Post by Penny » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:21 pm

Isn't limonadi just any sort of carbonated soft drink in Finland? Pear limonadi is really nice. :D

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 am

That's why we call it soda: 'cuz it is!
I guess that makes sense... but 'pop' sounds kind of funny... :lol:

Then again, Queenslanders call little boxed fruit juices 'poppers' while NSW people call them 'fruit boxes'.

Now which one makes more sense?? :roll:

Penny

Post by Penny » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Falling Rain, that's probably because one of the earliest brand names of 'Tetra Paks' in Australia was Poppers. :D

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Falling Rain wrote: Why do Americans call soft drink 'pop' or 'soda' :|
Its called a lot more things than that too. Khu explained the "soda" thing quite well. Pop ... I don't know what thats all about ... but I think "pop" is also slang for a certain drug ... dunno which one ... but in the midwest (Kansas for sure) ... carbonated beverages = pop and when I had a friend visit from New Jersey he thought we were all drug addicts :lol: But in Missouri carbonated beverages = sodie pop. Deep south carbonated beverages = 'coke' ... no matter what kind it actually is.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:23 pm

Penny wrote: brand names of 'Tetra Paks' in Australia was Poppers.
And in Finland you talk about a "mehutetra" or "trippimehu" when you mean any "pillimehu"... :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:12 am

Penny wrote:Falling Rain, that's probably because one of the earliest brand names of 'Tetra Paks' in Australia was Poppers. :D
Really?? I didn't know that. :o

Penny

Post by Penny » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:18 am

:lol: You're probably a lot younger than me. I remember them. :shock:

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:00 am

Yes, only in highschool. ^__^

karen

Post by karen » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:52 am

My random €.05...

I'm from Texas. Everyone EXCEPT me refers to all soft drinks as "coke." I don't like Coke, so I call a drink by its name. Usually, that name is Pepsi.

I worked for an accountant in a very small town in Texas for one tax season. My sister lived in the same small town (it was a 15 minute drive for me) and I would often eat lunch with her husband and grown son. One day we went to our favorite local burger joint and heard that there was no Dr. Pepper. We were mostly tea drinkers, so it was no problem. We headed upstairs to the dining room and began to hear various exclamations of disbelief that any establishment could run out of Dr. Pepper. About 15 minutes later, the Dr. Pepper truck arrived. Someone sitting near the window said, "Dr. Pepper truck's here." One of the complainers responded, "Well I told 'em to call 9-1-1!"

I hear my (Finnish) husband's niece and nephew refer to any soft drinks as "limsu."

I love the Lemon Light from Lidl. It's cheap and it's sweetened with saccharin rather than aspartame. This Finnish addiction to aspartame boggles the mind.

Once every couple of years the urge for a Dr. Pepper will strike. I'll have one and remember why I don't drink it more often.

Karen

harmaa

Post by harmaa » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:06 am

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:
Once every couple of years the urge for a Dr. Pepper will strike. I'll have one and remember why I don't drink it more often.
Strange that I used to do the exact same thing. I think I've broken the habit by now, however, as I just stay away completely from the stuff.

I'm not used to people saying "pop" here - People tend to use "soda" on the east coast, and that's what I grew up hearing.
+pulvis+et+umbra+sumus+

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:43 am

Dr. Pepper is a staple in the midwesterner's diet. :D I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that would run out of Dr. Pepper! I am sure when I head back home in September I will come back to Finland with a 50 inch waist and diabetes.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:06 am

I had the joneses for Mountain Dew :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Suomen Huippu

Post by Suomen Huippu » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:38 am

The official name for carbon dioxide drinks seems to be "virvoitusjuoma". I don't think the limonadi-word is used often anymore, but "limsa" and "limu" are. Coca-Cola is limsa, Jaffa is limsa, Sprite is limsa.