the real meaning of limonadi

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
dr_pgonzalez

Post by dr_pgonzalez » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:56 am

OK by now every foreigner who's been here for a while has come across the peculiar Finnish way of referring to soda pop as "limonadi"

My handy dandy dictionary translates limonadi as lemonade, but wait... I have never come across traditional lemonade here in Finland.

When I try to explain that lemonade is something like "siitruna jouma ja vesi ja sokeri" I get a big laugh (mainly because my Finnish is so poor, but you get the point.)

So how did limonadi become the word for soft drink and how do you explain to someone that you want some american lemonade

patrick

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into a jet engine

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:18 am

I've seen (and tried) the limonadi stuff and its rather gross :( And I don't think the term is applied to all soda is it? I thought it was just a kind of brand name or product line for nasty carbonated mock-citrus-flavored beverages

But I have come to realize that some "real" things just can't be found here ... like "real" sour cream, "real" peanut butter, and so on.

But luckily, real lemonade isn't too terribly difficult to make at home.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:31 am

Ha, I just order a "jaffa" :lol:

So Patrick, why do you Americans call 'lemonade' 'soda' because as far as I can tell there is no silver white soft waxy ductile element of the alkali metal group in there... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And what you are describing is unfermented mead - who in the world would drink that stuff... Next thing you'll probably do is go ask for ice in your drink and they give you an iron bar and tell you to go hack it off the street :lol: :lol: :lol:

Etymologically - I think the name 'lemonade' just stuck after someone invented fizzing up regular lemonade. "Soda water" isn't unknown, but as "sooda" is used with lye to wash stuff and kids were spanked into believing it is stuff not to be drunk, so as selling poison at a stand isn't necessarily the greatest business idea the name "lemonade" sorta sounded more marketable. And as you can see from the plantlife lemons grow here so abundantly quite naturally so as the word had been loaned to mean "drink made of lemon juice" it stuck meaning "any drink made out of any fruit juice"...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:26 am

Anyone need a lemonade recipe? I have a good and simple fast one to make :)

I don't know how it got it's name :) lol My mominlaw calls juice soft? Alrighty then :D I don't buy Jaffa, it has bad side effects with me :oops:

I call everything pop :) Down south in America everyone calls everything Coke. AHHHHHHHH! My sister did that and when they brought her a coke she said I asked for a Sprite. :D lol

Kat

khu

Post by khu » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:08 pm

No, dammit, sima is NOT mead. Mead only refers to fermented honey beverages. The 'ready in a few days' lemoney sugar water Finns make is not mead.

Amiel

Post by Amiel » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:12 pm

ilikepeanutbutter wrote:Anyone need a lemonade recipe? I have a good and simple fast one to make :)
YES, Kat. I'd love to have one :) PM me?

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:52 pm

Amiel wrote:
ilikepeanutbutter wrote:Anyone need a lemonade recipe? I have a good and simple fast one to make :)
YES, Kat. I'd love to have one :) PM me?
Sure, I'll mail it off to you right away! :)

Kat

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:05 pm

Hank W. wrote:So Patrick, why do you Americans call 'lemonade' 'soda' because as far as I can tell there is no silver white soft waxy ductile element of the alkali metal group in there... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:? :? :? :? - actually, I need a more confused looking smiley!

I don't think any Americans call lemonade 'soda'. In fact, what I consider to be "real" lemonade isn't even carbonated (and that may have been part of patricks confusion as well since the limonadi is carbonated I think). We used to just make it with some lovely fresh water from the tap, about a 1/4 cup lemon juice, and as much sugar as it takes to get it tasting sweet. Mmmmmm. 8) And I sometimes wonder why my American ass has grown so large :x

At least the Finns have started to see the beauty of flavored iced tea! So, maybe I can live here afterall :wink:

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:16 pm

mookoo wrote:
Hank W. wrote:So Patrick, why do you Americans call 'lemonade' 'soda' because as far as I can tell there is no silver white soft waxy ductile element of the alkali metal group in there... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:? :? :? :? - actually, I need a more confused looking smiley!

I don't think any Americans call lemonade 'soda'. In fact, what I consider to be "real" lemonade isn't even carbonated (and that may have been part of patricks confusion as well since the limonadi is carbonated I think). We used to just make it with some lovely fresh water from the tap, about a 1/4 cup lemon juice, and as much sugar as it takes to get it tasting sweet. Mmmmmm. 8) And I sometimes wonder why my American ass has grown so large :x

At least the Finns have started to see the beauty of flavored iced tea! So, maybe I can live here afterall :wink:
Shhhhh :D No one can see our butts under large winter coats :D lol whoo for winter! :) lol

I haven't found good flavored tea yet :) lol I make my own using extracts sometimes when I'm not lazy :) lol

Kat

Lau

Post by Lau » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:14 pm

You say Limonade in German and you get a Sprite or a 7up :wink:

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Lau wrote:You say Limonade in German and you get a Sprite or a 7up :wink:
Ever notice European Sprite tastes better than anywhere else? When I was traveling here from Frankfurt I just kept drinking and drinking the Sprite. Bad idea bladderwise but it tasted good :D American Sprite tastes flat.

Kat

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:31 pm

ilikepeanutbutter wrote::D American Sprite tastes flat.
And it leaves a film in your mouth bleh! I hated Sprite in the states, so I have stayed away from it here too. Maybe I will give it another shot now.

By the way, have any other Americans been tortured with sprite or 7up when they were young and had the stomach flu? Anytime I would toss my cookies as a kid I was forced to drink sprite or 7up and all that ever happened was that I would then throw up sprite or 7up. Maybe that contributes to my hate of both of them :?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:44 pm

Finns use "jaffa" for that. I don't know what the magical ingredient is, but yellow-orange hartwall jaffa is the "stomach medicine"...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:08 pm

mookoo wrote:
By the way, have any other Americans been tortured with sprite or 7up when they were young and had the stomach flu? Anytime I would toss my cookies as a kid I was forced to drink sprite or 7up and all that ever happened was that I would then throw up sprite or 7up. Maybe that contributes to my hate of both of them :?
I was given ginger ale, and hate it now. Maybe that's why... never really thought about that!

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:04 am

mookoo wrote:
ilikepeanutbutter wrote::D American Sprite tastes flat.
And it leaves a film in your mouth bleh! I hated Sprite in the states, so I have stayed away from it here too. Maybe I will give it another shot now.

oh Finnish Sprite is good! I drink clear pop or diet pop to avoid bad stomach cramps I get from sugared dark pop :) lol

Oh yes!!!! :D I always drank 7up when I puked, and then my mom fed my saltine crackers :) lol I never really disliked the taste of 7up, it always settled my stomach pretty well. :) lol

I'd definitly try Sprite here :) It's pretty good! Too bad there's not a cheap knockoff now :( There is one at Jumbo called VIP for 99cents. It's pretty decent.

Kat