Taking care of Areca palm

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this.
But I got a Areca palm plant from Ikea 3 months back and a pot with size basically which to hold it.
Right from the day I got the plant has not been at the best condition. The leaves are basically drying out and i tried to cut them as and when they dry until a little above ground (5-10cm). Initially in the first month i tried watering 1l a week. Then understood its more and tried to water 0.5l/week. Then now trying to water 1l per 2 weeks.
Also I was asked to moisture the leaves once in 2 days (where i spray water on all leaves for 100-150ml) as there might be less moisture inside the apartment and the reason for dryness. I try doing that for past 2 weeks and still I could see a lot getting dried. Every now and then i see new leaves but they get dried pretty soon.
Any advice how to take care. TIA.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: Taking care of Areca palm

Post by SecretCode » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 pm

I can't tell you how much I water mine or exactly how often :) ... but they seem fairly tolerant. It's worth keeping them away from direct heat - so away from radiators, and not in direct sun, because this can cause the leaves to dry out and turn brown. If the leaves on a particular frond turn brown more than half way, I cut the whole frond off.

But don't overwater them - I basically let mine almost completely dry out. If they stand in water, I think the roots get damaged. But I'm not sure how you can check this when the plant is in a vase with no drainage. Maybe you can judge by how heavy it feels. Or get a hygrometer.

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:28 am

Hi
I usually see if the above layer of the soil is dry before watering. But after moisturing the leaves by sprinkling water, the leaves turn dry rather soon. I do not place it under direct sun and it’s Atleast 2m away from the room heater.
This is really hurting to see the plant dying slowly. Any help would be of great help.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:36 pm

Has it produced any new fronds? They grow tiny and closed up from the base. If it's doing that - or does when the daylight hours get a bit longer - it might be OK to cut away the older leaves and let it focus on growing new ones.

Otherwise I would think the main worry is the root system. It might have been waterlogged and some of the roots may have died.

I haven't done this with an Areca, but it might be worth taking out it of the current vase, loosening up the roots and putting it in a larger plant pot with holes in and a separate saucer / vase - make sure to put stones / crocks at the bottom to ensure water can drain away from the soil.