this word näkemisiin

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
callan

this word näkemisiin

Post by callan » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:31 pm

what does näkemisiin, and whats its useage, i.e. between friends to strangers type of useage positive negative etc??

Any help ?

this word näkemisiin

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Post by EP » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm

It just means BYE. The literal meaning is TILL WE SEE AGAIN.

karen

Post by karen » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:55 pm

It's usually pronounced as "näkemiin" rather than nakesimiin.

Pecchio

Post by Pecchio » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:07 pm

Hello!
Actually, the word "näkemisiin" is a fairly informal variant of the normal, rather formal parting word "näkemiin". "Näkemiin" means "good bye", "bye", and even the very formal English "Good day". On the other hand "näkemisiin" could be translated as "See you later" or "Bye for now" among friends or people who know each other already.
It really conveys the meaning that you are looking forward to seeing the other person in the future and expect to see them (soon), while "näkemiin" is just a normal way of saying good bye for a day or forever...

"Näkemiin" literally means "until we see again" as posted before, but it has lost its meaning by now. Now the "näkemisiin" has regained the original meaning and really concentrates on the jubilant future when the persons in question shall meet again. (Am I pulling your leg here?)

Other variant of this is the quite new slang word "näkyillään" among young people, which translates as "we shall be seen (by each other)". This is as funny in Finnish as its sounds in English. In good English this would be "I'll see you when I see you."

Kuulemisiin,

Pecchio, a Finn for 32 years

callan

Post by callan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:00 am

thanks for the replies the help was/is appreciated, i wanted to know its useage as the meaning was quite apparent, usually when my conversation finnishes with my finnish friend it ends in either an english bye,good night, or cya, or typically for finnish, moi moi heippa, or something along those lines, but i mentioned before the end of the conversation that i was going to finland very soon and this new word was used at the end of the conversation...

Kiitos, Callan

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:56 am

Pecchio wrote: Other variant of this is the quite new slang word "näkyillään" among young people, which translates as "we shall be seen (by each other)". This is as funny in Finnish as its sounds in English. In good English this would be "I'll see you when I see you."
Or "törmäillään" ... shortening from "nähdään, jos ei nähdä niin törmäillään"

"lets bump into each other" from... "lets see each other, and if we don't see each other then we'll bump into each other"

Finns like to take the "literal" stuff out of phrases.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.