finnish/english school in Kulosarri

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
isaluba

Post by isaluba » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:43 am

I heard that the primary school in Kulosarri taught in english and finnish. They start at 7 years old with 90% finnish 10% english and gradually move toward half and half. Does anyone know anything about this school? Any info would be great!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:16 am

http://www.kuloa.edu.hel.fi/kotisivut11/enkku.html

(my son is in 8th grade at the lower secondary school yhteis-koulu, but he went to primary school in Espoo so I don't know much about the Kulosaari primary, but maybe this website can help)

isaluba

Post by isaluba » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:25 am

Thanks for the info. Has anyone had their kids in the kulosarri school? If so, what was your experience with the staff?

ormeau

Post by ormeau » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:58 pm

hi, i believe it is as you said 10% English in first grade and 50% English in the 6th grade. Most of the teachers are native Finns, maybe 2 native English teacher not sure....
Last edited by ormeau on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keplerinvaimo

Post by Keplerinvaimo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:07 pm

Our son is in the first grade, English stream (1B). The teaching is 50/50 Finnish / English, and yes, even in first grade some of the teachers are native speakers. It's only early days yet and so far all the experiences have been very positive. Some subjects are taught in English (maths, science), with Finnish terms to strengthen their vocabulary. There is a language proficiency 'test' in spring, whereby the students have to show good understanding in both languages. I recall seeing other posting about the tests earlier this year!

Hope this helps,
Heather
Image Image