kids and languages con't.

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
kcl

Post by kcl » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:33 pm

My nephew is two and really starting to talk. I sort of feel like i should speak to him in Finnish, even though my Finnish is pretty limited and I probably make a ton of mistakes. His mother wants him to hear English as much as possible, which is fine with me. But, I only spend time with him a couple times a month and I'm afraid he might get frustrated, confused etc. Any advice from those with similar experiences?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Even if you only see him once of twice a month it would still be nice for him if you could speak in English. When we lived in Hungary my kids only got to hear Hungarian face to face once a week when Kati came to help me clean the house. She always spoke Hungarian to them and they seemed to have some innate ability to understand what she was saying!!! Keep it very simple and concentrate on a few keys words to begin with (toy, car, candy, more etc etc :wink: ). Speak naturally to him but use short sentences and much repetition. Try to avoid the : "car - play - you - with" lingo.