School year children and mobile phones

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
nisco

Post by nisco » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:30 am

I have not found a proper post about school year children and mobiles phones. I'm thinking about when children begin to go to primary school (grade 1), how necessary and how often they already have their own mobile phones. Nowadays, mobile phone is not a calling machine and people can spend whole day on it. I'm just worrying their time as well as expenses.
I want to know some kind of parents' attitude and experience on the question:
Should they have a mobile phone from the beginning? If yes, should they use only/primarily basic function of calling, or with networking? How is the actual fact in primary school?
If yes, what kind of packages do you have/recommend? Now there are not so many alternatives such as 1 euro maximum daily expenses. Can it be very expensive if we cannot closely look at children's calling?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: School year children and mobile phones

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:19 am

My son had one since he was five.

I think his plan was 15 euros a month. It had the net, and if I remember I never paid much more than that a month for him. He didn't text a lot, but he did call alot. Mostly him and his friends used their phones for watching silly YouTube stuff and playing games.

Since my son and his mates were free to roam around outside all day, it was good they had phones. We could check in on them, or call them in, etc.

I think Finnish kids are a lot better at using mobiles than many other nations. My son caused no problems. And none of my friends ever told of any financial issues with the use of a phone.

As for phone etiquette, Finnish kids do well in this area too, I have observed.

Teenagers on the other hand are a different matter altogether :D :D :D