Job Hunt

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
Malla

Job Hunt

Post by Malla » Tue May 25, 2004 12:47 pm

Can anyone give any really good advice to doing a job hunt in Finland. I am presently in the UK. I am hoping to go to Finland mid July. To be honest I don't speak much Finnish but my aim of being there is to learn Finnish.
Thanks

Job Hunt

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Re: Job Hunt

Post by Guest » Tue May 25, 2004 1:03 pm

Malla wrote:Can anyone give any really good advice to doing a job hunt in Finland.

Be fluent in Finnish... :wink:

Sorry, but that's the main thing. It decides for about 80% (if not more) whether or not your job hunt will be successful.
There are ofcourse international companies, but since you're working in Finland, it requires in most cases the use and understanding of the language.

Otherwise you could try something like Nokia. All the foreigners are working there, and I've heard that they speak mainly English.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue May 25, 2004 2:43 pm

Job hunting in Finland..here we go again..
Dont speak Finnish..OK..that cuts out about 70% of the vacancies..
Do you have a master degree in any subject that Nokia might be interested in...Yes /no??..if no that reduces your chances ..Nokia in the good old day would accept a reasonable UK B.Sc..but they are now two a penny and the local university students (who can also speak Finnish and probably have close a relation to pull strings) will always get the nod before a foreigner.
Sorry to be so negative..but that is life ..by the way why do you want to come here?
Or should I just ask What is her name? :wink:

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Tue May 25, 2004 2:44 pm

some other smaller companies are also happy about having non-finnish speakers in the office (actually had one say "that would be great - we can all practice" (!)), but at least tourist level finnish is pretty much essential.

i've been turned down on the basis of my way above tourist level now for several jobs that i could technically do, simply because i'd need to communicate with 'customers', both internal and external.....and technical problems aren't always easily explained in english.

on the other hand, i've heard about guys at reuters who speak two words - generally "kalja" and "kiitos" - who have no problem. it really depends on the company and its business...

your life will be easier with the language...

Bret
"I have no further comments at this time"

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Tue May 25, 2004 2:47 pm

PeterF wrote:Job hunting in Finland..here we go again..
Dont speak Finnish..OK..that cuts out about 70% of the vacancies..
Do you have a master degree in any subject that Nokia might be interested in...Yes /no??..
this surprised me: a company i've applied to has got dr.s chasing project management positions.... i have no chance in h:ki with them without an MSc and / or Really good experience...
Or should I just ask What is her name? :wink:
good question...:)
Bret
"I have no further comments at this time"

lotta

Post by lotta » Tue May 25, 2004 7:18 pm

Don't be too discouraged,

It's not easy, but it can be done, I know of at least 2 english guys who have got good jobs in the Helsinki area with no degree and no Finnish, Just very good CV's with plenty of international experience.

:) and there are plenty of better better companies than Nokia to work for :)

What sort of work are you looking for? What's your background?