PhD student with family

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Post Reply
maddi
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 12:46 pm

PhD student with family

Post by maddi » Mon May 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi
im hoping of moving to Helsinki in Aug to begin my PhD , i need advice on housing and daycare . as im self financing so budget is tight knowing the cost of living is high in Helsinki what do you guys suggest .
1. cant apply for space in day care before getting housing - housing is still undecided and as ive read minimum wait time is 4 months so , how will i manage studies on arrival with daycare support ?!
2. cant get housing until documentation isnt complete and long wait PhD students are not the priority of HOAS
3. recommended location in and around Helsinki for apartment hunting

lots of prep to do before arrival !!

looking forward to your response



PhD student with family

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

vla
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: PhD student with family

Post by vla » Mon May 27, 2019 3:18 pm

maddi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:13 pm
Hi
im hoping of moving to Helsinki in Aug to begin my PhD , i need advice on housing and daycare . as im self financing so budget is tight knowing the cost of living is high in Helsinki what do you guys suggest .
1. cant apply for space in day care before getting housing - housing is still undecided and as ive read minimum wait time is 4 months so , how will i manage studies on arrival with daycare support ?!
2. cant get housing until documentation isnt complete and long wait PhD students are not the priority of HOAS
3. recommended location in and around Helsinki for apartment hunting

lots of prep to do before arrival !!

looking forward to your response
Well you need the address to apply to a day care center as you need to specify to which center you want to apply (you can choose up to three different centers). How are you going to apply if you don't know the address and hence which centres are close to that?

Does your kid already have own personal identity code? You will also need that to apply.

Are you moving with your partner? Can someone else take care of the kid in the meantime? Can the kid stay in your home country until you have all things sort out?

In our case, I came alone first, and my wife and kids move once I had apartment and day care center ready, four months later. I came in december, in february I already had apartment and made the application to day care center then, but it was difficult because they called me to tell me that there wasn't any place in my area until august, so they suggested to change the starting date to august 1st. I did that and after a couple of weeks they called saying that we had the place for august.

So consider that too, that it might be difficult to get a place in the middle of the school year and it's better if you apply for the beginning of it, so august.

Good luck and a lot of patient.


maddi
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: PhD student with family

Post by maddi » Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 am

Thank you for sharing your experience . My situation is a bit tricky as i cant leave my nursing baby back in my home country. what about your take on housing ?


vla
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: PhD student with family

Post by vla » Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 am

maddi wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 am
Thank you for sharing your experience . My situation is a bit tricky as i cant leave my nursing baby back in my home country. what about your take on housing ?
I live in Vantaa, so not much to say about Helsinki, as I don't live there I can't give any recommendations.


vla
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: PhD student with family

Post by vla » Wed May 29, 2019 10:46 am

vla wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 am
maddi wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 am
Thank you for sharing your experience . My situation is a bit tricky as i cant leave my nursing baby back in my home country. what about your take on housing ?
I live in Vantaa, so not much to say about Helsinki, as I don't live there I can't give any recommendations.
How old is the kid, by the way?


heretostay
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: PhD student with family

Post by heretostay » Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am

maddi wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 am
Thank you for sharing your experience . My situation is a bit tricky as i cant leave my nursing baby back in my home country. what about your take on housing ?
Daycare typically doesn't take babies. Your best bet is to find a private babysitter/nanny.


maddi
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: PhD student with family

Post by maddi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 am

1.8 YRS


Post Reply