Laid off & RP

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jack2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Laid off & RP

Post by jack2012 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi,

Just concerned about upcoming recession. I have residence permit for 4 years, I got it after finishing degree. So, still there are 2 years for my RP to expire.

In case, I laid off then can Migri cancel my RP? Or, what are exact rules? Any link from Migri would be appreciated(I checked Migri but I could not find much).

Kiitos :)



Laid off & RP

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

FinlandGirl
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:53 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:53 pm
Just concerned about upcoming recession. I have residence permit for 4 years, I got it after finishing degree. So, still there are 2 years for my RP to expire.

In case, I laid off then can Migri cancel my RP?
Migri can cancel your RP if the reason for the RP no longer exists.
Whether it actually gets cancelled is a different question, it was only done in some cases in the past and what might happen in the coming months is not predictable.

A temporary layoff (e.g. for 90 days) would not be a problem for your RP.

jack2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by jack2012 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Do you know what is minimum & maximum time for laid off(min: 3 months or max 1 year)?
And, in case of permanent laid off, do migri give some time to find another job or it is immediate cancel?

betelgeuse
Posts: 3483
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Do you know what is minimum & maximum time for laid off(min: 3 months or max 1 year)?
Temporary layoff (lomauttaminen) does not have to be notified to Migri by the employer. Such notice can be given as until further notice.
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
And, in case of permanent laid off, do migri give some time to find another job or it is immediate cancel?
The cancellation can be appealed and, for example, the Helsinki administrative court is taking currently 7 months to process them.

https://oikeus.fi/hallintooikeudet/hels ... astot.html

jack2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by jack2012 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 pm
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Do you know what is minimum & maximum time for laid off(min: 3 months or max 1 year)?
Temporary layoff (lomauttaminen) does not have to be notified to Migri by the employer. Such notice can be given as until further notice.
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
And, in case of permanent laid off, do migri give some time to find another job or it is immediate cancel?
The cancellation can be appealed and, for example, the Helsinki administrative court is taking currently 7 months to process them.

https://oikeus.fi/hallintooikeudet/hels ... astot.html
Do you know if there is any rule by law for minimum or maximum time period for temporary laid off? Because if temporary laid off is 1 year then it is enough time to find another job without pressure/stress!

FinlandGirl
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:34 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 pm
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Do you know what is minimum & maximum time for laid off(min: 3 months or max 1 year)?
Temporary layoff (lomauttaminen) does not have to be notified to Migri by the employer. Such notice can be given as until further notice.
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
And, in case of permanent laid off, do migri give some time to find another job or it is immediate cancel?
The cancellation can be appealed and, for example, the Helsinki administrative court is taking currently 7 months to process them.

https://oikeus.fi/hallintooikeudet/hels ... astot.html
Do you know if there is any rule by law for minimum or maximum time period for temporary laid off?
Temporary layoffs can be either for a fixed period of time or for an indefinite period of time.
Fixed periods are fixed (90 days is a common duration), indefinite layoff the employer can end with one week notice.
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Because if temporary laid off is 1 year then it is enough time to find another job without pressure/stress!
Unless there is urgent need companies will not hire anyone during the next half year.
After that we will be in a recession with many companies struggling and huge unemployment, not a good time hunting for a job.

jack2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by jack2012 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:24 pm

Does anyone know if there is any new law or rule Govt is working on after Corona situation that can help people with Work A+ permit? I assume, RP can be cancelled if someone is unemployed.

Any news or update please :)

Kiitos

FinlandGirl
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:41 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:24 pm
Does anyone know if there is any new law or rule Govt is working on after Corona situation that can help people with Work A+ permit? I assume, RP can be cancelled if someone is unemployed.
People can only help themselves by retaining or finding work again soon after the Corona situation.

Cancelling RPs of temporarily unemployed people right now is unlikely to happen - it would be bad for Finnish companies if required employees might no longer be available afterwards.

After the Corona situation there will be high unemployment and a government without money.
Cancelling the RPs of unemployed foreigners would be a win-win for Finland, since it would both lower the unemployment rate and reduce government payments to unemployed persons.

heretostay
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by heretostay » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm

Information is here:

https://tem.fi/en/questions-and-aswers- ... r-mobility

“ If foreign workers granted their first residence permit in Finland are laid off because of the coronavirus, how will it affect their chance of getting extended permits?
The residence permit will remain in effect for the duration of the layoff. An extended permit may be granted on condition that the employee has had secure means of subsistence while the previous permit was in effect. More information on working and unemployment benefits while laid off is available the websites of Kela and the TE Office.”

FinlandGirl
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 pm

heretostay wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm
Information is here:

https://tem.fi/en/questions-and-aswers- ... r-mobility

“If foreign workers granted their first residence permit in Finland are laid off because of the coronavirus, how will it affect their chance of getting extended permits?
The residence permit will remain in effect for the duration of the layoff. An extended permit may be granted on condition that the employee has had secure means of subsistence while the previous permit was in effect. More information on working and unemployment benefits while laid off is available the websites of Kela and the TE Office.”
It is clear that for temporary layoffs with a definite duration of typical length there won't be residence permit cancellations right now.

But TEM is the wrong place when looking for reliable residence permit information since this is not their business.

https://migri.fi/en/faq-coronavirus
Migri wrote:If it seems like work cannot be offered in the future, for example due to the coronavirus outbreak, and the applicant has not found new employment, it is unlikely that the applicant is granted an extended permit.
Migri wrote:At present, residence permits will not be cancelled only because of the coronavirus outbreak.
Migri is making the decisions.

jack2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by jack2012 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm

One more question regarding same, there is one limit set by Kela which is, if someone is making at least that amount is not unemployed! I think, it is around 1200 euros. Does anyone know what is actual amount and if can give reliable link would be appreciated.

Kiitos :)

betelgeuse
Posts: 3483
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm
One more question regarding same, there is one limit set by Kela which is, if someone is making at least that amount is not unemployed! I think, it is around 1200 euros. Does anyone know what is actual amount and if can give reliable link would be appreciated.
There is no such limit.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 290#O1L2P1

Maybe you are thinking of eligibility limits for benefits.

jack2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by jack2012 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:31 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm
One more question regarding same, there is one limit set by Kela which is, if someone is making at least that amount is not unemployed! I think, it is around 1200 euros. Does anyone know what is actual amount and if can give reliable link would be appreciated.
There is no such limit.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 290#O1L2P1

Maybe you are thinking of eligibility limits for benefits.
No, there is some criteria which makes someone as employed; I remember once I called Migri and asked them if I can do part time job instead of full time so I can focus on study too. I was told that I can do any kind of job but keep in mind that I should make at least 1200 euro to bear my expenses and it is set by Kela(.. I guess she said Kela).

betelgeuse
Posts: 3483
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:31 pm
No, there is some criteria which makes someone as employed; I remember once I called Migri and asked them if I can do part time job instead of full time so I can focus on study too. I was told that I can do any kind of job but keep in mind that I should make at least 1200 euro to bear my expenses and it is set by Kela(.. I guess she said Kela).
Probably you mean the income requirement for a permit based on work.

"If there is no collective agreement in your sector, your gross salary must be at least EUR 1,236 per month in 2020."

https://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland/ ... equirement

This is again different from whether one is classified as employed.

For students the limit for means of support is lower.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Laid off & RP

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 pm
jack2012 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:31 pm
No, there is some criteria which makes someone as employed; I remember once I called Migri and asked them if I can do part time job instead of full time so I can focus on study too. I was told that I can do any kind of job but keep in mind that I should make at least 1200 euro to bear my expenses and it is set by Kela(.. I guess she said Kela).
Probably you mean the income requirement for a permit based on work.

"If there is no collective agreement in your sector, your gross salary must be at least EUR 1,236 per month in 2020."

https://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland/ ... equirement

This is again different from whether one is classified as employed.
For Kela this is also the minimum amount for classifying as employed for the work requirement for unemployment benefits:
https://www.kela.fi/web/en/what-is-the- ... quirement-


Post Reply