Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
DanMondrian
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by DanMondrian » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Hello all,

My wife and I are UK citizens and want to move to Finland by the end of the year before the cut off for UK citizens applying for residence permits under EU rights. Because of the timing of these changes and complications about travel restrictions (we would be travelling from the US) we feel the help of an immigration lawyer would be really helpful.

I have searched this forum but not found that much information for recommended immigration lawyers or consultants. In particular specialising in residence permits. Does anyone have details for or links to lawyers they have used or have heard are good?

Thanks in advance,
D



Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

DanMondrian
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by DanMondrian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 am

toystory wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 am
Finland immigration lawyers, they give advice on facebook messenger too:

https://www.facebook.com/autioattorneys/
Thank you, toystory. I just checked their website and immigration is not listed in their services. Have you used their services before for immigration or has someone you know recommended them?

I have been looking through this site that lists links to lawyers that are members of the bar that list their particular services which is helpful, but I would prefer recommendations by people that have used a particular law firm.

https://asianajajaliitto.fi/en/attorney ... -attorney/

Maaria
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:49 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by Maaria » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:07 am

DanMondrian wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Hello all,

My wife and I are UK citizens and want to move to Finland by the end of the year before the cut off for UK citizens applying for residence permits under EU rights. Because of the timing of these changes and complications about travel restrictions (we would be travelling from the US) we feel the help of an immigration lawyer would be really helpful.

I have searched this forum but not found that much information for recommended immigration lawyers or consultants. In particular specialising in residence permits. Does anyone have details for or links to lawyers they have used or have heard are good?

Thanks in advance,
D
You don't really need lawyer for EU right of residence application.Even in your situation, it should not be complicated. If you submit all the documents MIGRI is asking for and if you meet the requirements, there should be no problem getting your application approved. It may seem complicated at first, but in reality it's not.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm

Maaria wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:07 am
DanMondrian wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Hello all,

My wife and I are UK citizens and want to move to Finland by the end of the year before the cut off for UK citizens applying for residence permits under EU rights. Because of the timing of these changes and complications about travel restrictions (we would be travelling from the US) we feel the help of an immigration lawyer would be really helpful.

I have searched this forum but not found that much information for recommended immigration lawyers or consultants. In particular specialising in residence permits. Does anyone have details for or links to lawyers they have used or have heard are good?

Thanks in advance,
D
You don't really need lawyer for EU right of residence application.Even in your situation, it should not be complicated. If you submit all the documents MIGRI is asking for and if you meet the requirements, there should be no problem getting your application approved. It may seem complicated at first, but in reality it's not.
How can they enter Finland?

Regular travel from the US to the EU won't be possible in the near future.
Their UK citizenship likely allows them to return (temporarily) to the UK with the normal 14-day quarantine in the UK.

Regular travel from the UK to Finland won't be possible in the near future.
One really has to read thoroughly what kind of travel is forbidden, and what kind of travel only requires a 14-day quarantine in Finland.

All these rules are very fluid.

Asking a lawyer sounds quite reasonable to me for navigating through all this.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3620
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
How can they enter Finland?

Regular travel from the US to the EU won't be possible in the near future.
Their UK citizenship likely allows them to return (temporarily) to the UK with the normal 14-day quarantine in the UK.

Regular travel from the UK to Finland won't be possible in the near future.
Hard to say what the situation will be later in the year but UK citizens have the same rights to enter as EU citizens which will most likely be helpful.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
One really has to read thoroughly what kind of travel is forbidden, and what kind of travel only requires a 14-day quarantine in Finland.
The 14-day quarantine has never been a requirement – only a recommendation.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
How can they enter Finland?

Regular travel from the US to the EU won't be possible in the near future.
Their UK citizenship likely allows them to return (temporarily) to the UK with the normal 14-day quarantine in the UK.

Regular travel from the UK to Finland won't be possible in the near future.
Hard to say what the situation will be later in the year but UK citizens have the same rights to enter as EU citizens which will most likely be helpful.
Less helpful than it used to be.

Free entry for Swedes is not coming anytime soon, and under the rules announced yesterday effective from mid-July the UK has to get their new infections down by at least 70%.
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
One really has to read thoroughly what kind of travel is forbidden, and what kind of travel only requires a 14-day quarantine in Finland.
The 14-day quarantine has never been a requirement – only a recommendation.
I thought the rules in force in April were actually a requirement.

In any case a lawyer would be helpful for giving reliable information what rules can be ignored.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3620
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 pm
Less helpful than it used to be.

Free entry for Swedes is not coming anytime soon, and under the rules announced yesterday effective from mid-July the UK has to get their new infections down by at least 70%.
The problem with the rules has always been that the government hasn't changed the laws. They have introduced the term "essential traffic" but this is not backed by legislation. If you read the government regulations, they also explicitly say that the laws have precedence. Then it's a different matter what the border guard does de facto.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
One really has to read thoroughly what kind of travel is forbidden, and what kind of travel only requires a 14-day quarantine in Finland.
The 14-day quarantine has never been a requirement – only a recommendation.
I thought the rules in force in April were actually a requirement.
Only a doctor can order a quarantine. As far as I am aware there has never been a doctors at the border ordering quarantines in bulk.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 pm
In any case a lawyer would be helpful for giving reliable information what rules can be ignored.
Indeed. However, legal things can be stupid. I wouldn't want, for example, to be the person travelling from a hotspot and giving infections to my friends.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 pm
Only a doctor can order a quarantine. As far as I am aware there has never been a doctors at the border ordering quarantines in bulk.
Thanks, it seems Green League politicians are the most dishonest Finns by a margin.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finl ... s/11295572
Yle wrote:The quarantine regulations for immigrants will be tightened. All border crossers will be instructed to stay in quarantine-like conditions for 14 days," Interior Minister Maria Ohisalo said at a Tuesday morning news conference.

"The exceptions are border crossings for emergency and rescue personnel and freight transport personnel. They do not have to be in quarantine-like conditions."
How is it possible that there are people voting for the Green liars?

betelgeuse
Posts: 3620
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 pm
Only a doctor can order a quarantine. As far as I am aware there has never been a doctors at the border ordering quarantines in bulk.
Thanks, it seems Green League politicians are the most dishonest Finns by a margin.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finl ... s/11295572
Yle wrote:The quarantine regulations for immigrants will be tightened. All border crossers will be instructed to stay in quarantine-like conditions for 14 days," Interior Minister Maria Ohisalo said at a Tuesday morning news conference.

"The exceptions are border crossings for emergency and rescue personnel and freight transport personnel. They do not have to be in quarantine-like conditions."
How is it possible that there are people voting for the Green liars?
Why does this make Green League politicians more dishonest than other government parties? The decisions were not done by the individual ministers. They are the mouthpieces for the government – not for themselves or their party.

Quarantine-like is doublespeak for what is legally a recommendation.

If you look at what opposition parties have said, you will see that there has been wide support for people self isolating.

https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000006453573.html

While there is valid critique in how the things were implemented, there's no question that going through the proper routes (using doctors, legislation changes or the emergency powers act) to make de jure and de facto match in communication would have enjoyed widespread support.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3620
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

From an effectiveness perspective I should add that WHO is of the opinion that travel bans are not that useful: "Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact."

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles- ... 9-outbreak

The political pressure shows how us vs. them oriented we still are between nations. I don't really see why, for example, long distance trains would be fundamentally different from planes. As there is a lot of variance between countries, there is also a lot of variance between regions within a country.

Maaria
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:49 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by Maaria » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:07 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm

How can they enter Finland?

Regular travel from the US to the EU won't be possible in the near future.
Their UK citizenship likely allows them to return (temporarily) to the UK with the normal 14-day quarantine in the UK.

Regular travel from the UK to Finland won't be possible in the near future.
One really has to read thoroughly what kind of travel is forbidden, and what kind of travel only requires a 14-day quarantine in Finland.

All these rules are very fluid.

Asking a lawyer sounds quite reasonable to me for navigating through all this.
According to gov.uk, citizens of UK are allowed to return to UK. And current restriction to enter Finland from outside Schengen area but from EU is until July 14th. When I called the border guard phone number, they said there is a good chance restrictions won't be extended, may even be lifted sooner than 14th July. So I think they should have a good chance coming.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Maaria wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:07 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm

How can they enter Finland?

Regular travel from the US to the EU won't be possible in the near future.
Their UK citizenship likely allows them to return (temporarily) to the UK with the normal 14-day quarantine in the UK.

Regular travel from the UK to Finland won't be possible in the near future.
One really has to read thoroughly what kind of travel is forbidden, and what kind of travel only requires a 14-day quarantine in Finland.

All these rules are very fluid.

Asking a lawyer sounds quite reasonable to me for navigating through all this.
According to gov.uk, citizens of UK are allowed to return to UK. And current restriction to enter Finland from outside Schengen area but from EU is until July 14th. When I called the border guard phone number, they said there is a good chance restrictions won't be extended, may even be lifted sooner than 14th July. So I think they should have a good chance coming.
When was that call?

The government decision on restrictions after July 14th was yesterday:
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finl ... s/11415797

FinlandGirl
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:15 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm
From an effectiveness perspective I should add that WHO is of the opinion that travel bans are not that useful: "Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact."

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles- ... 9-outbreak
That's ancient information from February, and related to the rationale the Swedes used when trying to protect their economy instead of their people.

Vietnam has a population of 96 million and 0 COVID-19 deaths.
People in New Zealand are happy that life is back to normal.

What would be the economic and social impact if Autumn in Finland would be like April?

FinlandGirl
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 pm
Only a doctor can order a quarantine. As far as I am aware there has never been a doctors at the border ordering quarantines in bulk.
Thanks, it seems Green League politicians are the most dishonest Finns by a margin.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finl ... s/11295572
Yle wrote:The quarantine regulations for immigrants will be tightened. All border crossers will be instructed to stay in quarantine-like conditions for 14 days," Interior Minister Maria Ohisalo said at a Tuesday morning news conference.

"The exceptions are border crossings for emergency and rescue personnel and freight transport personnel. They do not have to be in quarantine-like conditions."
How is it possible that there are people voting for the Green liars?
Why does this make Green League politicians more dishonest than other government parties? The decisions were not done by the individual ministers. They are the mouthpieces for the government – not for themselves or their party.
What ministers from other parties are claiming something would be required when in fact it isn't?

Most Finns have some amount of dignity and honesty, even politicians.
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm
While there is valid critique in how the things were implemented, there's no question that going through the proper routes (using doctors, legislation changes or the emergency powers act) to make de jure and de facto match in communication would have enjoyed widespread support.
Interior ministers in most European countries have chosen going through the proper routes, instead of the Green League way of only talking as if it would be required when it was actually a voluntary choice.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3620
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Immigration consultant/lawyer recommendations for residence permits

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm
What ministers from other parties are claiming something would be required when in fact it isn't?

Most Finns have some amount of dignity and honesty, even politicians.
” Pääsääntönä on, että kaikki sisärajojen yli Suomeen saapuvat henkilöt ovat Suomessa oleskelunsa aikana velvollisia noudattamaan Suomen terveysviranomaisten ohjeistusta ja pysymään karanteenia vastaavissa olosuhteissa 14 vuorokauden ajan viimeisestä Suomeen saapumisesta lukien.”

The language used by Ohisalo is from the government. The government (valtioneuvosto) is composed of ministers from all the government parties.

https://valtioneuvosto.fi/artikkeli/-/a ... -turvataan
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm
While there is valid critique in how the things were implemented, there's no question that going through the proper routes (using doctors, legislation changes or the emergency powers act) to make de jure and de facto match in communication would have enjoyed widespread support.
Interior ministers in most European countries have chosen going through the proper routes, instead of the Green League way of only talking as if it would be required when it was actually a voluntary choice.
I am interested in this analysis. Where can I find it?


Post Reply