Passport validity?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
gmarkoma
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by gmarkoma » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:06 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 pm


If the passenger is denied entry, the airline has to take the passenger back and pay a hefty fine.

You would have to convince the airline that you are guaranteed to be allowed to enter Schengen because at some point in the future Finland will register your right of residence.



And your point is?
The visa has already been granted.
There's no immigration category of tourists (in the legal sense). There's a difference in issuing and entering with visas for family members of EEA citizens and visa holders with no EEA connection.
My point is that the intention to register the right for residence at some point in the future is irrelevant when she enters Schengen based on her existing visa.
gmarkoma wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:13 pm
I will call airlines, some of them say on their web site about the 6 months validity but I am not going for tourism.
The rules are not set by the airlines, the airlines are only legally required to ensure that they do not carry any persons who might be rejected at immigration.
The relevant question is whether your wife is legally required on her current visa to have 3 months or 6 months of validity when entering.
gmarkoma wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 am
my wife has Schengen visa until March 2021 (Phlippines passport), my son is American, no need for visa.
These two countries are not on the list of safe countries whose citizens will be allowed to enter Schengen starting next month.
You should be able to bring your family into Schengen, but keep in mind to check what exactly is possible before booking your travel.
Yes, the plan is to travel when it is allowed. I sent email to Finnish immigration and also my future work told me they will ask immigration about my case. This moment I can't travel to Finland. Here, they have crazy backlog of passports and they can't provide a timeline, I hope to receive it 3 months after the application. The embassy told me 3 months and I asked also the immigration, to be sure.



Re: Passport validity?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

gmarkoma
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi,

I don't know how this happened but my son's passport arrived on time and we are kind of ready to book flights for Finland mid August. I am trying to find information if we are allowed to enter Finland by Traveling USA -> Germany -> Helsinki. I will have my contract and a letter from my work with me.When I do transit from Germany it is considered internal border for Finland, right? I assume I can travel with my non-EU family for work purposes, right? Do you know which number should I call fo the border control to ask?

Thanks,
George

FinlandGirl
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Passport validity?

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 am

gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm
I am trying to find information if we are allowed to enter Finland by Traveling USA -> Germany -> Helsinki. I will have my contract and a letter from my work with me.When I do transit from Germany it is considered internal border for Finland, right?
Right.
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm
I assume I can travel with my non-EU family for work purposes, right? Do you know which number should I call fo the border control to ask?
You are crossing the external border in Germany.

gmarkoma
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by gmarkoma » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:30 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 am
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm
I am trying to find information if we are allowed to enter Finland by Traveling USA -> Germany -> Helsinki. I will have my contract and a letter from my work with me.When I do transit from Germany it is considered internal border for Finland, right?
Right.
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm
I assume I can travel with my non-EU family for work purposes, right? Do you know which number should I call fo the border control to ask?
You are crossing the external border in Germany.
Thanks for the answer, Germany is ok as it is transit and there is no issue with transits.

inkku
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by inkku » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:50 pm

This is the border authority. you have there also links to the page of the national CDC (called THL)
If you are only transiting in Germany, to my understanding it would be considered as you came straight from the US. Meaning you might enter into quarantine?
https://www.raja.fi/current_issues/qa

heretostay
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by heretostay » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Country of origin and not transit is what is used to determine quarantine/isolation requirements. With the current situation in the USA, I would be shocked if quarantine was not required. Outside of a couple of areas, Finland is almost free from the virus.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Passport validity?

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:47 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:14 pm
Country of origin and not transit is what is used to determine quarantine/isolation requirements. With the current situation in the USA, I would be shocked if quarantine was not required. Outside of a couple of areas, Finland is almost free from the virus.
A legally mandated quarantine can only be ordered by a doctor. Otherwise it’s a recommendation that is sensible to follow.

gmarkoma
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by gmarkoma » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:44 pm

We would quarantine 100% because I respect the country that I am moving and their people. I am really upset with people who put other people in risk. I plan to arrive around to two weeks before I start working for this reason.I have one question, in quarantine, how we buy food? I need to go supermarket, right? I have masks etc. but wondering if it is allowed. Thanks, I will call them to ask also.
Edit: My main concern is to be allowed to enter in the country with the family.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Passport validity?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:33 am

gmarkoma wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:44 pm
We would quarantine 100% because I respect the country that I am moving and their people. I am really upset with people who put other people in risk. I plan to arrive around to two weeks before I start working for this reason.I have one question, in quarantine, how we buy food? I need to go supermarket, right? I have masks etc. but wondering if it is allowed. Thanks, I will call them to ask also.
Edit: My main concern is to be allowed to enter in the country with the family.
Use online supermarket delivery services.

gmarkoma
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by gmarkoma » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:39 pm

ok, thanks.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Passport validity?

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:45 am

gmarkoma wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:30 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 am
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm
I am trying to find information if we are allowed to enter Finland by Traveling USA -> Germany -> Helsinki. I will have my contract and a letter from my work with me.When I do transit from Germany it is considered internal border for Finland, right?
Right.
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm
I assume I can travel with my non-EU family for work purposes, right? Do you know which number should I call fo the border control to ask?
You are crossing the external border in Germany.
Thanks for the answer, Germany is ok as it is transit and there is no issue with transits.
Germany might check that you are allowed to enter the country you want to transit to.

I would recommend you ask the airline in advance what they require for allowing your family to board a plane to Germany.

gmarkoma
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Passport validity?

Post by gmarkoma » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:35 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:45 am
gmarkoma wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:30 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 am


Right.



You are crossing the external border in Germany.
Thanks for the answer, Germany is ok as it is transit and there is no issue with transits.
Germany might check that you are allowed to enter the country you want to transit to.

I would recommend you ask the airline in advance what they require for allowing your family to board a plane to Germany.
Correct, the border control of Finland just told me that the main control is in Germany and if I enter Germany there is no control to enter Finland. I am calling the airline company. Thanks.


Post Reply