Applying for Citizenship 2024

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jonathan_09

Re: Applying for Citizenship 2024

Post by jonathan_09 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:31 am

juhapekkonen wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 2:34 pm
The "queue" has only moved 3-5 numbers this week, do you guys confirm? Seems like the wonderful summer break is here already and now nothing will move at all. Waiting since 2022 btw :roll:
Unfortunately from May to the end of July is known to be the slowset time in pocessing applications but doesn’t mean that they don’t process at all during this period. They have summer employees as well.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

just_passing_by

Post by just_passing_by » Sat May 11, 2024 11:37 am

This week's stats:
Total processed: ~60
Total processed above threshold: ~37
Processed above threshold to total processed ratio: ~0.62
Threshold processing median: ~13456/310/2023
2022 processing median: ~5446/310/2022
New applications created: ~50

Data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpYzge ... sp=sharing

mamutti

Post by mamutti » Sat May 11, 2024 3:57 pm

juhapekkonen wrote:
The "queue" has only moved 3-5 numbers this week, do you guys confirm? Seems like the wonderful summer break is here already and now nothing will move at all. Waiting since 2022 btw :roll:
When did you apply?

Auringon_kukka

Post by Auringon_kukka » Sat May 11, 2024 4:58 pm

juhapekkonen wrote:
In same boat as you, applied in 2022 (August)...

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Sat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm

finnfinns wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:57 pm
Hi all,

I see that there are lots of rumors about application process and I would like to share what I know from a friend working in Migri.

About my situation: I already get Finnish citizenship this week. Applied end of Oct 2023.

About the process, according to my friend, Migri already starts collecting your information when your application gets dairy number. There is always a similar check-list for each application, and several teams/thrid party (or they call 'consulting agencies') involve in completing the list. The tasks are simply 'to check' all the list. Of course, they have systems to asign tasks and if the data cannot be collected then what next, which team will deal with... Generally they have procedure for that. At the beginning, all things are mostly automated. For example, your personal info will be sent for confirming identity automatically. Of course, they don't confirm your info one by one (in the first step) but in a list of some people having similar background, country... That's why serveral application have similar quere number. When the list is checked all. Then your application will move to stage 2. In stage 2 (in process), it is just about double check. Therefore, some get decisions within 15 minutes. If there are something suspected or wrong, they need to confirm the info again, it might take days, weeks, months... depending on from where they need to get the info again.

Why some application need to be waited too long? This is because there are some problems when getting your info. Mostly, cannot be done by automated process. Then the team need to go through your application and extract the infor 'manually' then send those for confirmation. If this happens, it takes time to process your application since it is manual and you application need to wait to be checked. Sometime, the returned infor is not matched/be wrong with the person in the application. Then, Migri needs to request the info again and again. If your application has some issues, for example, you commit a crime, have fine, kela debt... or something special, ONLY senior/manager can make a decision (and ONLY senior or higher are allowed make a negative decision). Of course, there are not many managers and you need to wait for a longer time. (my application was processed by a junior who have worked for Migri just 4 months according to Linkedln, you can see the title/position of person processing you application when getting the decision also). Besides, some team/people only process application having similar background, e.g., countries because they need to be able to understand the documents, for example, they can read you name in your native language. A team processing Russian app will not process East Asian app. And to be recruited into each team, a staff also need to has related skills/knowledge.

I would like to say that there is no such 'sweet spot'. It is simply about whether Migri is able to collect enough data about you and whether the check-list is completed. You can see from the data in this group that the application can be processed at any queue number. We see that most applications are processed within 6-7 months becauses it is the time they collected enough data for most cases (some even earlier). And that's why asylum seekers might need to wait for a longer time because it is harder to get their identity but I also know some asylum seekers get decisions in 7 months recently. Their info might be easy to get. The queue do not have much meaning. It only play a role when there are many applicattion done the check-list and wait for double check. Then small queue will be processed earlier. Otherwise, and until now, almost applications are moved to stage 2 when the check-list is done (according to my friends). The queue is also meaningful in manual process as I mentioned above.

That's all I know. Hope it helps.
Thanks for sharing the greater picture of the process. Highly appreciated!

jonathan_09

Post by jonathan_09 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:11 pm

finnfinns wrote:
Hi all,

I see that there are lots of rumors about application process and I would like to share what I know from a friend working in Migri.

About my situation: I already get Finnish citizenship this week. Applied end of Oct 2023.

About the process, according to my friend, Migri already starts collecting your information when your application gets dairy number. There is always a similar check-list for each application, and several teams/thrid party (or they call 'consulting agencies') involve in completing the list. The tasks are simply 'to check' all the list. Of course, they have systems to asign tasks and if the data cannot be collected then what next, which team will deal with... Generally they have procedure for that. At the beginning, all things are mostly automated. For example, your personal info will be sent for confirming identity automatically. Of course, they don't confirm your info one by one (in the first step) but in a list of some people having similar background, country... That's why serveral application have similar quere number. When the list is checked all. Then your application will move to stage 2. In stage 2 (in process), it is just about double check. Therefore, some get decisions within 15 minutes. If there are something suspected or wrong, they need to confirm the info again, it might take days, weeks, months... depending on from where they need to get the info again.

Why some application need to be waited too long? This is because there are some problems when getting your info. Mostly, cannot be done by automated process. Then the team need to go through your application and extract the infor 'manually' then send those for confirmation. If this happens, it takes time to process your application since it is manual and you application need to wait to be checked. Sometime, the returned infor is not matched/be wrong with the person in the application. Then, Migri needs to request the info again and again. If your application has some issues, for example, you commit a crime, have fine, kela debt... or something special, ONLY senior/manager can make a decision (and ONLY senior or higher are allowed make a negative decision). Of course, there are not many managers and you need to wait for a longer time. (my application was processed by a junior who have worked for Migri just 4 months according to Linkedln, you can see the title/position of person processing you application when getting the decision also). Besides, some team/people only process application having similar background, e.g., countries because they need to be able to understand the documents, for example, they can read you name in your native language. A team processing Russian app will not process East Asian app. And to be recruited into each team, a staff also need to has related skills/knowledge.

I would like to say that there is no such 'sweet spot'. It is simply about whether Migri is able to collect enough data about you and whether the check-list is completed. You can see from the data in this group that the application can be processed at any queue number. We see that most applications are processed within 6-7 months becauses it is the time they collected enough data for most cases (some even earlier). And that's why asylum seekers might need to wait for a longer time because it is harder to get their identity but I also know some asylum seekers get decisions in 7 months recently. Their info might be easy to get. The queue do not have much meaning. It only play a role when there are many applicattion done the check-list and wait for double check. Then small queue will be processed earlier. Otherwise, and until now, almost applications are moved to stage 2 when the check-list is done (according to my friends). The queue is also meaningful in manual process as I mentioned above.

Thank you very much for the explanation.
But for the waiting time I think migri also takes cases randomly and there are many people who have the same background but have different waiting times.
I had two classmates and they are a twin, came to Finland on the same year 2016, studied the same degree and graduated together and they work in the same company. took the YKI test together and applied on the same day (late of 2022). One got the decision in 9 months and the other is still waiting for 19 months till now.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm

jonathan_09 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:11 pm
finnfinns wrote:
Hi all,

But for the waiting time I think migri also takes cases randomly and there are many people who have the same background but have different waiting times.
I had two classmates and they are a twin, came to Finland on the same year 2016, studied the same degree and graduated together and they work in the same company. took the YKI test together and applied on the same day (late of 2022). One got the decision in 9 months and the other is still waiting for 19 months till now.
Being a twin doesn’t mean that you have the exact life. There might be other factors like crime etc

jonathan_09

Post by jonathan_09 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm

Uskomaton wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm
jonathan_09 wrote:
finnfinns wrote:
Hi all,

Being a twin doesn’t mean that you have the exact life. There might be other factors like crime etc
I'm not sure of their detailed circumstances. but none of them had been reported any crime.
I notice that many people who submitted their applications during 2022 are the ones who got huge delay in their processing.
Based on the information I see now. most people who submitted their applications in 2023 got their decisions or their applications moved to stage 2.
Meaning that something is different in Migri processing strategy between 2022 and 2023.

finnfinns

Post by finnfinns » Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 pm

jonathan_09 wrote:
finnfinns wrote:
Hi all,
As I mentioned, any issues might happen in the data about that person when Migri gets info for him/her. You do not know whether all processes are smooth for both of them.

I can tell you my case, it is not related to Migri but the authorities in my original country. During the pandemic, I renewed my passport in my country embassy in Finland. Then I visited my country in 2022 when the boarder was reopened. And the boarder control in my country stopped me because there was no passport info in the system and my name and year of birth (not date or birth place) were matched with a criminal case. Fortunately, the boarder control was nice and rechecked and confirmed my info as well as fill the missing data in the national database within 2 hours of waiting in the airport (I was not allowed to leave the waiting area).

What if I apply for citizenship and Migri makes a request from my country authorities before I figure out and deal with that problem, then I am sure my case also need to wait more than 20 months since the authorities need to find my identity.

And a ton of problems we do not know. Remember that many languages are not latin. When converting to latin, there might be a lot of mismatched problems.
Last edited by finnfinns on Mon May 13, 2024 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Sun May 12, 2024 9:21 pm

jonathan_09 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm
Uskomaton wrote:
jonathan_09 wrote:

I'm not sure of their detailed circumstances. but none of them had been reported any crime.
I notice that many people who submitted their applications during 2022 are the ones who got huge delay in their processing.
Based on the information I see now. most people who submitted their applications in 2023 got their decisions or their applications moved to stage 2.
Meaning that something is different in Migri processing strategy between 2022 and 2023.
That's correct. Also 2024 applications have not started to be processed yet. Based on the data which is weekly published here, the processed 2024 applications are dependents such a child, or processing together with 2023 submitted spouse. Of course, this is a speculation but hopefully by September we will get to see 2024 applications to be processed.

fingol

Post by fingol » Mon May 13, 2024 8:53 am

My GF was asylum seeker and got positive decision in more than 2 years. In those times, some people got decision just in a couple of months, since their case was straightforward (Uyghurs, Yemeni, North Koreans etc). We hired lawyer just to track and investigate what the heck is happening and why there is not any decision. She was always paranoid that Migri always tracks all her movements, behaviours etc. Lawyer told that the Migri doesn't check anything about application till it's her turn. When the case was picked up, the lawyer informed us. It took only a day to receive a positive decision. I feel many are paranoid and making assumptions that Migri checks the cases, and they are not supposed to move the stage etc. I am more than sure that in the beginning they categorize the cases and after that they never ever touch the application.

mamutti

Post by mamutti » Mon May 13, 2024 10:58 pm

just_passing_by wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:37 am
This week's stats:
Total processed: ~60
Total processed above threshold: ~37
Processed above threshold to total processed ratio: ~0.62
Threshold processing median: ~13456/310/2023
2022 processing median: ~5446/310/2022
New applications created: ~50

Data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpYzge ... sp=sharing
Hi! Do you already see the ones that were automatically processed?

Indian_Dude

Post by Indian_Dude » Mon May 13, 2024 11:59 pm

finnfinns wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 pm
jonathan_09 wrote:
finnfinns wrote:
Hi all,
As I mentioned, any issues might happen in the data about that person when Migri gets info for him/her. You do not know whether all processes are smooth for both of them.

I can tell you my case, it is not related to Migri but the authorities in my original country. During the pandemic, I renewed my passport in my country embassy in Finland. Then I visited my country in 2022 when the boarder was reopened. And the boarder control in my country stopped me because there was no passport info in the system and my name and year of birth (not date or birth place) were matched with a criminal case. Fortunately, the boarder control was nice and rechecked and confirmed my info as well as fill the missing data in the national database within 2 hours of waiting in the airport (I was not allowed to leave the waiting area).

What if I apply for citizenship and Migri makes a request from my country authorities before I figure out and deal with that problem, then I am sure my case also need to wait more than 20 months since the authorities need to find my identity.

And a ton of problems we do not know. Remember that many languages are not latin. When converting to latin, there might be a lot of mismatched problems.
What you have mentioned here is quite interesting. Because you pay the application fee to Migri, not your home country's authority. So your home country is not obliged to give a response to Migri. Even they can refuse to answer Migri's request. If a Migri officer doesn't like an applicant, they can send a request to Siberia ( Where the applicant has never been) and wait for the response for five years 😁

Indian_Dude

Post by Indian_Dude » Tue May 14, 2024 12:17 am

jonathan_09 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm
Uskomaton wrote:
jonathan_09 wrote:

I agree with you. The only reason is that Migri randomly makes some applications challenging to show-up Migri's authenticity, Think that there are so many applications; for how many Migri is going to ask the applicant's home country's authorities? Migri can not even able start to process applications in right time, and expecting the foreign authorities will answer Migri’s request? Foreign authorities has other things to do right?
Migri know very well that, other countries will not respond. So Migri just wait for it, simply because they didn't want to process the application.

jonathan_09

Post by jonathan_09 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 am

I also heard that Migri asks clarification from the applicant’s home country which is unreasonable and extremely weird

Being a citizen of Finland doesn’t relate you to your home country. You can have issues in your home country but it shouldn’t matter about your status in Finland. Migri should care about the applicant behaviour during the years he lived in Finland.
And as said a home country may not reply to a request from Migri at all.
In my case for example. I’m from Egypt and I haven’t been to Egypt since I moved to Finland in 2016 why would migri care what I have done in Egypt before 2016.