Question about ATMs

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Kregian

Question about ATMs

Post by Kregian » Thu May 23, 2024 12:04 pm

forgive me the possibly stupid question, i'm still new to this "being abroad" thing.

i need to withdraw some cash from my home bank account (also an european one), but i haven't really seen any ATMs around?? so i used the VISA ATM locator to find the closest one, and later i will go look for it and see if i can get the money out.

i would just like to ask... if i somehow got the wrong ATM machine or something, the thing will give me back my card, right??? it won't just give me an error code and keep the card?? back home, i once put in the wrong PIN code 3 times and the machine swallowed my card, it was a hassle to get a new one, i've been terrified of it happening again ever since. if it happens again here i'll be screwed because i will have no way to access my money, so i'm super super anxious.

Question about ATMs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

another_one

Re: Question about ATMs

Post by another_one » Thu May 23, 2024 12:23 pm

There are two brands of ATMs in Finland – Otto and Nosto.
Don't know what is the difference, but I used my foreign non-EU card to withdraw cash a couple of times, everything went fine.
Initially to me it was a bit unusual that there are no bank-branded ATMs, only those two.

If I am not mistaken, ATMs in Finland usually do not take whole your card, you just insert about half of it.
Also, to me it seems like ATMs here just don't have functionality to swallow cards :)

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pm

another_one wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:23 pm
If I am not mistaken, ATMs in Finland usually do not take whole your card, you just insert about half of it.
Also, to me it seems like ATMs here just don't have functionality to swallow cards :)
really?? oh, thank god. i was so worried. thank you so much!! the anxiety was killing me, and now you made it all go away. thank you, hope you have a great day!

jeffoe

Post by jeffoe » Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 pm

another_one wrote:

they do have the functionality to swallow cards because one have swallowed my card. It gave an instruction to remove my card I delayed because I was distracted by some other event and it swallowed my card. You can get by here without the use of cash it been ages since I lash used cash.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 am

jeffoe wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 pm
You can get by here without the use of cash
That's true. I don't think I've drawn cash more than once or twice in the past year.

If you're going to do this often, just watch out for charges from your own bank when paying, or drawing cash. Some have no charges, others have eye-watering ones. If you have a Finnish bank account, doing an international transfer from your foreign bank may be cheaper.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:05 am

another_one wrote:
There are two brands of ATMs in Finland – Otto and Nosto.
Initially to me it was a bit unusual that there are no bank-branded ATMs, only those two.
Otto is owned by a consortium of banks. They realised that with the low population density in Finland it would be better to cooperate and create a single nationwide ATM network instead of each bank trying to build out their own network - something that would leave many people far from an ATM or having to use a different bank's ATM and possibly paying "roaming" charges.

Nosto came about because S Bank did not like the membership fees that the Otto consortium charged and thought they could create a cheaper ATM network - which suffers the exact issues that a single combined network tried to avoid.

S bank is a law unto itself when it comes to offering services. contactless ? only with a debit card, not a credit card! I chopped up my contactless S bank visa credit card and sent it back the day after it arrived because of that.