Callling Americans in Finland. How did you do it??

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:25 pm

I agree with a lot that has been said so far.

Maybe making a pros and cons list of living in Finland as opposed to living elsewhere (in US, for example) would be a good idea. If you are both sure that Finland is the place, then you just have to make the move, even if the timing isn't "perfect". (Is there such thing as "perfect timing"? :-))

It is definitely difficult to decide where to live when you are both from two different countries. Someone always has to leave their family and friends behind.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

moi

Thanks for all of your ideas

Post by moi » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:25 am

I would like to just jump out of a plane and be there. So much needs to be done having 2 kids and working out their security and seking a home )or renting it for the child support. That kind of stuff is what keeps me here for now.

Still any ideas are welcome.

Thanks again.

Rich

moi

Thanks for all of your ideas

Post by moi » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:26 am

I would like to just jump out of a plane and be there. So much needs to be done having 2 kids and working out their security and seking a home )or renting it for the child support. That kind of stuff is what keeps me here for now.

Still any ideas are welcome.

Thanks again.

Rich

[email protected]

also from NJ with Finnish wife

Post by [email protected] » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:37 am

Hi,

I am also from N.J. with a Finnish wife and two small kids. My wife is from the Tampere Region and we try to visit once a year. I have friends in the same situation who made the move and they have no regrets. My belief is if you go and learn to appreciate the life like a normal Finn lives then you will be happy. If you are going there to try an re-create your life as an American then forget it.

Regards,

Adam
Last edited by [email protected] on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kultary

Callling Americans in Finland. How did you do it??

Post by kultary » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:06 am

When we first moved to Finland from the US (1994), my Finnish wife and I had a 9 month old baby and no jobs (although I was coming to attend the University of Tampere). We knew that it would be difficult at first, and it was. But, we worked through it and don't regret our decision.

Keep in mind, that when we came, my wife and son (dual citizen) were able to receive benefits from the government, but I wasn't. When I got my first job, their benefits were cut.

Today, we both have good careers, and have more than paid back what little we got during those first 3 months.

BTW, if you are considering moving to Tampere with kids, the city's public school system has a really good English language program.