How to notarize/certify a document

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Hmag

Post by Hmag » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to notarize or certify a document (copy of passport, for example) in Finland?

Thanks!

Hmag

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

smilesalot

Post by smilesalot » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 pm

Go to the local maistraati, they can notarize there for 5 or 10 euros it all depends on what it is.

smilesalot :)

This Halloween the most popular mask is the Arnold Schwarzenegger mask. And the best part? With a mouth full of candy you will sound just like him. ~Conan O'Brien

Hmag

Post by Hmag » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:43 am

Oh, I didn't know that it's so simple. Thank you!

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:26 am

It is just as smilesalot says above.

However do not follow the instructions which I was given. My daughter was going to Mexico with my grandmother, and therefore needed a letter saying that she could travel with my mother. This is a Mexican requirement (a good rule as well methinks).
I was told by the British embassy (I had to go there as they did not answer the phones when I called) that I needed to go to a law office and get the document notarised, and they gave me the names of some companies who would do this. I phoned the first law firm, and they told me that it was stupid to use them... I should just go to maistraati. They would do it but it would be a waste of money as it would be so expensive. So I phoned the British embassy again, who said again that I had to go to the companies they said...
... so I went to Mexican embassy for their advice (as they did not speak English which I could understand on the phone when I called), and they said I had to get a signature from the British embassy AND the maistraati. Of course when I spoke to the embassy again, the British embassy said they would only sign if one of the law firms signed :?
So in the end I decided just to get the Maistraati signature and see what happened... there were no problems.
The maistraati procedure took maybe 5 minutes, but it took me a week to sort it out :x

This is a good example of bureaucracy gone mad (or capitalism at its best)... and a good example of when to listen to finlandforum posters!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.