Family vacation in the Meditteranean

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Spectra

Post by Spectra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:21 pm

We've never yet been on a family vacation where there are no relatives waiting to house us, feed us, and keep us in good company. Hoping to travel in April or early May for about a week to somewhere as warm and non-crazy-touristy as possible--me and hubby and 2 year old (*Active*) boy. Trying to stay in a nice hotel/inn (preferably bed and breakfast type), but want to keep expenses as low as possible. I've done some research and as far as flights are concerned, there are ok ticket prices to Rhodos and Costa del Sol. Somehow Rhodos is more enticing (and there are some very quaint inns in Rhodos town). But without any travelling experience in southern Europe, I'm interested in your opinions!

Spectra

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

richard berman

Re: Family vacation in the Meditteranean

Post by richard berman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Spectra wrote:We've never yet been on a family vacation where there are no relatives waiting to house us, feed us, and keep us in good company. Hoping to travel in April or early May for about a week to somewhere as warm and non-crazy-touristy as possible--me and hubby and 2 year old (*Active*) boy. Trying to stay in a nice hotel/inn (preferably bed and breakfast type), but want to keep expenses as low as possible. I've done some research and as far as flights are concerned, there are ok ticket prices to Rhodos and Costa del Sol. Somehow Rhodos is more enticing (and there are some very quaint inns in Rhodos town). But without any travelling experience in southern Europe, I'm interested in your opinions!

Spectra
Costa del Sol is great for the kids, but if your looking for a non-crazy-touristy area this is not a place to go in July/Aug but at the time of year you are looking at is great we where there two years ago in May and it was not to warn around 25 to 30 which was good for the kids, and last year we went in August which was a little hot for them, but me I love to burn :-) (I know its not good) we where not planning on going there this year but my wife won tickets to Malaga so off we go again :-) lucky we have a free place to stay which makes it a great cheap holiday.

There is so much to do there zoo, beach, and loads of free play areas very moden, lots of great places to eat and children always welcome. And if you get a hotel with a pool it will be great. Use this company if renting a car you just pick the car up at the airport and they are very cheap and great customer service, they seemed so happy last year when I phoned them to say that I drove into a pole in the street and the front of the car was hunging off , "NO problem Mr Berman do you want a new car" :-) http://www.email-car-hire.com

I have never been to Rhodos, but have been to Crete many times and that is also a great place , but I have never been there with kids.

Good luck
Web hosting from 8€ a month http://www.Oxterweb.net

EP

Post by EP » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:42 pm

When kids were small it was Greece all the way, they even learned how to swim there. And all the islands in April/May are totally different than July/August, even Rhodes. The minus point is that it can still get quite chilly at least at nights, down to +10°.

After the prices went up in Greece we switched to Turkey. That might be an option also for you. Nice people who love and pamper children, and good food for smaller price than Greece. Also a little warmer at least on the southern coast.

And if you want warm sea and guaranteed sun, pick Egypt. Sharm el Sheikh or El Gouna. Hurghada is not as nice.

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:36 pm

If you guys have darker skin Greece is a bit risky place. Tourists areas are mostly safe but you never know, there have been incidents of tourists beaten up violently because the locals took them as immigrants.