WANTED: bicycle

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
alloydog

Post by alloydog » Sun May 02, 2004 7:48 pm

I need a bike, or to get our Finnish chums rolling around the floor laughing, I'll use the English term, a pushbike.
Something cheap - I'm not to worried if it doesn't have 127¾ gears, ABS brakes & active suspension. Two wheels, peddles & that the front wheel points in the same direction as the handlebars is good enough. Oh yeah, it needs a seat !(I'm not that liberal ) :shock:

PM me.

cheers,

Rob.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Re: WANTED: bicycle

Post by Ace » Sun May 02, 2004 7:58 pm

alloydog wrote:I need a bike, or to get our Finnish chums rolling around the floor laughing, I'll use the English term, a pushbike.
Something cheap - I'm not to worried if it doesn't have 127¾ gears, ABS brakes & active suspension. Two wheels, peddles & that the front wheel points in the same direction as the handlebars is good enough. Oh yeah, it needs a seat !(I'm not that liberal ) :shock:

PM me.

cheers,

Rob.
Try Pm-ing John. He's always got cars and bikes for sale.
http://www...com/bb/profile.php?mod ... file&u=641

I got a mountain bike from him about a month ago

He's a decent bloke and wont rip you off :!:

Re: WANTED: bicycle

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2004 8:32 pm

alloydog wrote:& that the front wheel points in the same direction as the handlebars is good enough.

eeeeeermmm... :shock:
WHAT kind of bike is it exactly that you want? Cos most bikes that I know of (and I know A LOT of them) have the handle bars in a + angle with not only the front wheel, but the entire bike.

:wink:

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sun May 02, 2004 8:48 pm

Alloydog- are you English...?

--'pushbike'?

Not in my England...! :)

Any other English people call a bike a 'push bike?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun May 02, 2004 10:18 pm

Well, I'd have an old ladies bike, but since the thing with the balconies... well, its in the cellar behind E - but no way to get it out... :cry:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Helmi

Post by Helmi » Sun May 02, 2004 10:44 pm

dusty_bin wrote:Alloydog- are you English...?

--'pushbike'?

Aye, a pushbike it is here up North. Are you a northerner, Dog?
Helvete också, nu regnar det igen!

ImageImage

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Mon May 03, 2004 12:09 am

dusty_bin wrote:Alloydog- are you English...?

--'pushbike'?

Boy, you've been away from home far tooooo long, haven't ya? Even I've heard the term pushbike, often, and I'm a foreigner - to you, that is... :wink:
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Mon May 03, 2004 1:16 am

Its not that I've not heard it, but, is it actually in common use among English people? The two who say yes, are not English... Any English folk?

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon May 03, 2004 10:03 am

dusty_bin wrote:Its not that I've not heard it, but, is it actually in common use among English people? The two who say yes, are not English... Any English folk?
Yep Its used a lot by old people in the north mate :!: Isn't Alloy Dog from Essex though?

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Mon May 03, 2004 10:15 am

London born, Essex bred, but probably spent far toooo long in in places like North Yorkshire & Cumbria ...
But before I left, even in my hometown (Colchester), people would say "You're not from around here, how long have you lived here" to wit I'd reply - "since I was four..."
Though a lot of them years was spend as a pad brat.'

& getting back to the subject of bikes, I'll follow t'link.

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Mon May 03, 2004 10:16 am

dusty_bin wrote:Its not that I've not heard it, but, is it actually in common use among English people? The two who say yes, are not English... Any English folk?
Ummm, excuse me for being a bit ffick 'ere but how on earth would we have heard of it if it hadn't been uttered by a person...??? :?: Hmmm, I'll have to think about this one.

Anyways, I think the first person I heard using it was actually definitely not from the North either but a gentleman with very much "Oxford English", a literary person who lives in the South East. And he was not using it as a silly example - he actually used it in his everyday speech. However, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the "real" pushbike the heavyduty version with that huuuge basket in the front to carry goods? This gentleman used to do his shopping with that pushbike of his...
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon May 03, 2004 10:18 am

strawberry wrote:However, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the "real" pushbike the heavyduty version with that huuuge basket in the front to carry goods? This gentleman used to do his shopping with that pushbike of his...
Nah its any pedal bike. Although back in the day when these old guys were cycling round on T'pushbike they all looked like that ;-)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 03, 2004 10:26 am

strawberry wrote:heavyduty version with that huuuge basket in the front to carry goods?
word "pushbike" makes a mental image of 'mummokärryt'
huuge basket and all...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Post by Guest » Mon May 03, 2004 10:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Helmi

Post by Helmi » Mon May 03, 2004 10:51 am

Ace wrote:
strawberry wrote:However, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the "real" pushbike the heavyduty version with that huuuge basket in the front to carry goods? This gentleman used to do his shopping with that pushbike of his...
Nah its any pedal bike. Although back in the day when these old guys were cycling round on T'pushbike they all looked like that ;-)
That brings back memories of the old Hovis advert when the flat capped young lad would push his bike up the hill and whizz back down on the saddle, legs akimbo. "Eeeeee but it were a grand ride back, though" :lol:
Helvete också, nu regnar det igen!

ImageImage