WANTED: Mercenaries for Finnish regiment in Swedish army

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
alloydog

Post by alloydog » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:22 am

I need at least ten men, and any women, who are baltant exhibitionists. Who do not mind, nay, enjoy performing in front of an audience, love the feel of rough uncomfortable clothing, and would really get a kick out of being frozen half to death !

Siikajoki 2008
On the 18th of April, 1808, after an orderly retreat from the Russians, Adlercreutz reached the community of Siikajoki - about 50 km south of Oulu. Here, he decided it was time to stand his ground. After fierce fighting, the Finns of the King's Ostrobothnian Regiment held out until reinforcements arrived and helped secure the first home victory of the Suomen Sota 1808-09 (Swedish-Russian war 1808-09). A string of victories follwed, as the Russians were pushed down the Bothnian coastline, until they reached Oravianen. There a tactical mistake cost the battle, but the war had already been lost at Suomenlina. (A very synopsis of the war !)

There is a history group at Oravainen, who cover the events there. They have been going now for over ten years and have built up a small museum on the site. Whilst not so ambitious (yet...) I would like to raise a small company of the King's Ostrobothnian Regiment here in the Oulu area, where we would try to re-create events from the battle of Siikajoki, the war, and of the time period in general.
People would have to be prepared to help start a group from stratch - i.e., we would start with no costumes, no equipment, and no real idea how to proceed :-) From there we would make, or get made, period costumes and equipment. We also have to research the event in intense detail. Additionaly, people would have to be prepared to invest in muskets - yup, guns :) big ones :D with real black powder :twisted:
But no lead balls, sorry. :roll:

After brief words with the Oravainen group, and a Russian group in St. Petersburg, it seems thereis interest in doing a 200th anniversary event at Siikajoki.
Whilst I could get away with these groups, I think it would be good to have a local group as well. I have a couple of locals interested, but I would like to have more people.

The rewards ? well, you'll get stared at a lot. Also, if we get a good group together, there is the possiblity of Finnish culture/EU funding to help with running the group. No one gets paid, as it is a hobby - though often, good groups, can get to be filmed for TV programmes, either factual, or fiction, or even movies. The Oravainen group were in Hovimäki.

I won't drone on more here, but if anyone is interested in historical re-enacting, PM me & we'll talk more.

cheers,

Rob.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rod1e

Post by rod1e » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:10 pm

Hei... I remember going to a thing like that when I was a kid (I'm talking 60's now), something about cavaliers and roundheads... I remember some of the roundheads wearing sunglasses and being covered in tatoos...

I think someone broke an arm that day... but yeah it was great! guns and horses running 'round...

Anyway I make things... all sorts of stuff, worked a bit in theatre (not preforming) so if I can help with anything keep in touch. At the moment I'm making hats. My partner is an expert dressmaker. I think she would be too busy working to do anything, but loads of advice I'm sure. I'm a bit far away to get into playing but it sounds like a laugh...

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:23 pm

Although being local helps, it's itsn't essential !!

You would be talking about what became the Sealed Knot society. Started by amongst others, Dr David Chandler, a very respected military historian. Since the sixties, the hobby has spread far and wide. In the UK alone, there is an estimated 25 000 people who do historical re-enacting. Just about every period you can think of involving Homo Sapien has been covered !
This is the biggest group in Finland:
http://www.oravais.fi/ohif/english/
There is also a dark age group called the "Grey Wolves" in the Helsinki area (I believe), and a couple of WWII groups, again somewhere int he south.
I have read an article about a group who do WWI eastern front, and as a sideline cover the Finnish Civil War, but these guys are in North Yorkshire !

If you're still interested, PM, & can give you more contact details, and also better inform you what needs to be done.

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:34 am

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:33 pm

Got a couple of people interested. Only need about three thousand more :!:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osterbottens/
http://www.geocities.com/osterbottens/

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:48 pm

I ain't giving up on this...
Got a few locals involved now Woooo...