construction jobs in keski-suomi

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Yeoman

Post by Yeoman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi, I'm an English construction site plumber with a Finnish spouse who is a school teacher and an Anglo Finn daughter aged 2 years. We currently live in West London and are considering a move to Jyväskylä within the next twelve months. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on the possibilities of gaining work in the construction industry in the Jyväskylä / keski-suomi area?

I have advanced craft city & guilds papers in plumbing and would consider any construction work. I have studied finnish language at Westminster University in London and am able to speak Finnish to a moderate standard but my understanding needs a bit of work.

I have searched the internet in vain for construction jobs in Finland and am now of the opinion that in this industry it is the same the world over and comes down to contacts and who you know.

As I said any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kiitos.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: construction jobs in keski-suomi

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 am

I have advanced craft city & guilds papers in plumbing
Problem is, in Finland the plumbing goes to the inside of the house, not the outside of the house. :lol:
I have searched the internet in vain for construction jobs in Finland
You have to find Polish sites, then get the contract with Polish salary, then you get the job in Finland. :evil:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Yeoman

Post by Yeoman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks for the response,
I have searched the internet in vain for construction jobs in Finland
You have to find Polish sites, then get the contract with Polish salary, then you get the job in Finland. :evil:[/quote] So it really is the same in Finland as it is in London, the Poles have all the construction jobs sewn up there too :roll: I've noticed many non indigenous people on the construction sites of Jyväskylä.
Pursuivant wrote:
I have advanced craft city & guilds papers in plumbing
Problem is, in Finland the plumbing goes to the inside of the house, not the outside of the house. :lol: :ochesey: We have progressed a little in London since the 1800's and we too now put some of our pipe work inside the house, only some of it though :D

A friend of mine has some contacts at YIT & Pöyry so I guess I'll try that avenue!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah, not as much Poles than Estonians here, as well as Romanians and Ukranians... and as you said, its more of "who you know".
On Finnish sites you'll need a few certs like a "tulityökortti", but AFAIK the tests are available in various languages.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 am

Yeoman wrote:A friend of mine has some contacts at YIT & Pöyry so I guess I'll try that avenue!
The big ones are willing to haul the cheapest possible people to do the job, be it Pole or something else. Then they fix, or at least try to wiggle out from fixing, the cockups. Then after few years the fixes fail and the locals fix the fixes, or !"#¤% flows to the floors... so maybe the contacts at the big ones know who fixes their failures, but don't let your hopes get too high that their recommendations would open the doors.

Cheap, fast, good, pick two.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am

And be careful with explosives please, it seems that every idiot here can get his hands on it.

Mita nyt

Post by Mita nyt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:11 pm

....also try the staffing companies here in Finland..as they hide much of the construction work.
:shock:
This is the Day..!

Mita nyt

Post by Mita nyt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Furthermore, if you come here you will need to get your Tyo(o with dots)turvallisuuskortti or in basic english..."safty card".
All construction people are suppose to get it(no matter their nationality) it's good for 5 years.
:)
This is the Day..!

Dick Valentine

Post by Dick Valentine » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:48 am

It's only a good decision if you get on with the big companies, such as YIT, Lemminkäinen, etc.. they have their own plumbers. Yes having a phone call helps, but getting aboard unconnected is possible if you are qualified and can look good on paper. The smaller shops can be just about anything, but most are very poorly run and treat their employees like !"#¤%. Not that they hire much below management themselves, but rather rent people through employment agencies, mostly foreign ones.

Unless you have some very special skills, you'll most likely be asked to start out as an unpaid intern, that's how it goes in just about any finnish job these days. After six months they'll either let you go or decide to hire you.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:34 am

Dick Valentine wrote:Unless you have some very special skills, you'll most likely be asked to start out as an unpaid intern, that's how it goes in just about any finnish job these days. After six months they'll either let you go or decide to hire you.
Unions might want to hear about these unpaid intern positions...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.