Chef/Kokki in Seinajoki/Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
kiwijim

Post by kiwijim » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Hei,

I'm looking for a Chef job but I also wanting to find out about the industry here...I've been told that there is a hospitality union in Finland as well.

What is the pay scale for a chef with 4-5 years experience in A la carte, buffet, Tapas, Bistro settings, prep kitchen and production kitchen work experience. I like high pressure kitchens and the total opposite. I have run services in kitchens but at this point in time i'm happy just to take a back seat and find out about the industry here.

I'm from New Zealand and have been immersed in a very multicultural food society.

Apart from going to the MOL to look for a job what other things should I look for?

Image Image

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Dick Valentine

Re: Chef/Kokki in Seinajoki/Finland

Post by Dick Valentine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Not many restaurants in this town. Let's be honest, going to mol doesn't do much good. Take a walk in town on a weekday and stop by at a few joints for a chat.

I'm not really familliar with the pay, other than it isn't much :)

Dick Valentine

Post by Dick Valentine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:38 pm

You are going to need a hygiene passport (Hygieniapassi) if you plan to work anywhere near food. It doesn't hurt if you have one already when you apply somewhere. It cost maybe 40-50 euros, and at least Sedu Aikuiskoulutus used to arrange a course once or twice a month. They can be reached at 020 124 4500 on weekdays office hours.

kiwijim

Post by kiwijim » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Dick Valentine wrote:You are going to need a hygiene passport (Hygieniapassi) if you plan to work anywhere near food. It doesn't hurt if you have one already when you apply somewhere. It cost maybe 40-50 euros, and at least Sedu Aikuiskoulutus used to arrange a course once or twice a month. They can be reached at 020 124 4500 on weekdays office hours.

Cheers mate, got this part organised with Sedu already, they are so helpful too.
Image Image

Dick Valentine

Post by Dick Valentine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Alma is one of the few good joints in town to eat. Has some nice hotel rooms too. Also one of the few non-chains, you'll quickly note that almost every place is owned by the borg S-Ryhmä. Alma is next to the railway station, it was in fact the old railway station, before they decided to build that ugly concrete box. It's the tan wooden house right next to the tracks, opposite from the roundhouse. The chain joints will usually want alot of paper when hiring, and they might want one to be a finnish speaker. Not necessarily the case with the independent ones.

aamirfarooq

Post by aamirfarooq » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:17 pm

If you need any worker for cleaning and other arrangement then please contact me on my email [email protected]
waiting for your reply