how long it takes to get day care center in Jyvaskyla?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
rinso

Re: how long it takes to get day care center in Jyvaskyla?

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:27 pm

roger_roger wrote: is it everywhere like this in Finland ?
In Helsinki you were supposed to apply short time ago, if you wanted to have place for you kid some time during next autumn.

CH

Post by CH » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 pm

I think most municipalities follow (more or less) the same rule... you need to apply at least four months in advance, but in urgent cases like just having received a job you can apply two weeks in advance but the daycare you will get is whatever has free places (as most don't), so it most probably isn't the closest one to you (yes... same rule for Jyväskylä: http://www.jyvaskyla.fi/paivahoito/english).

The best time to apply, especially if you want a certain daycare center, is so that the child starts daycare in August, because that is when the kids are moved "up" (kids starting esikoulu, kids from younger groups move up to older groups) so there are actually free spaces. But apply for this date waaaaay in advance, as they start putting the new groups together sometimes in early spring.

CH

Post by CH » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 am

roger_roger wrote:
CH wrote: you need to apply at least four months in advance
I applied four months ago
It's been only two months if you applied in December (as you said).
roger_roger wrote:
CH wrote: but in urgent cases like just having received a job you can apply two weeks in advance
It was an urgent case, I moved here in January due to new job, and I applied for Day care in December itself. They said since my wife is not working at the moment my case is not Urgent anymore. I couldn't argue
If your wife is not working, how on earth did you think it was an urgent case??? Or isn't your wife capable of taking care of your children somehow? Urgent case is when you cannot take the job if you cannot get daycare for your children. They cannot magically make free space if there is none, so it would be the first available free space wherever, which most probably would be far away from where you live and/or work, so I wouldn't apply as urgent unless it really was an emergency. Have patience and try to get your kids to the daycare you want.
roger_roger wrote:Rent is much more expensive than Tampere
I'm not surprised... Jyväskylä is a smallish town with lots of students, which means lots of people wanting ot rent with limited available places to rent.
roger_roger wrote:I have to walk 1.4 Kms to get to city center from work place everyday just to get the Bus home.
There are no busses going to city center from where you work?

nywaan

Post by nywaan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:33 pm

For me, I just applied the daycare for my son in Dec 2014(just before New year holidays). A few days after the application online, the staff called me to confirmed the date that the daycare director would contact me(which was the first week after the holiday).
And then my son got in the daycare in the week 3 of year 2015.
Everyrhing so easy and fast for my case.
We chose the small daycare closest to our house, though it is not in JKL city center.
The daycares out of city center are pretty much better than ones in the center I can say. Also, my mother-in-law, who worked in daycares all her life, said that the daycare where our son goes is much better than ones she used to work in or ones in the city.

Life in the suburb is more happy than in the city center.
We have nice neighbourhood, environment, good access to nature activities and relaxing life.
We are more mindful. City life has a full mind.
I have only part-time job in the city n my spouse has a low salary job. Though we both drive around half an hour to work, we don't think the gas cost is the problem. It is even cheaper by personal car than by bus, in terms of time comsuming and convenience.

Whenever I go to Tampere or any big cities, I feel like going back home to jyväskylä immediately. There are too many beggers and street junkies in those cities compared to jkl. People are ignorant n less human-like, etc.

If you love to have more money, better move to where you can make it.
I'd rather feel more grateful even if JKL is expensive but full of decent people than gold searcher.

roger_roger wrote:6 months and counting, still no day care center for kids. fuc.king Jyvaskyla.

Suggestions for newly expectant parents in Jyvaskyla, please apply for Day care center when you first do the pregnancy test with positive result, if you wait till your child to be born, it'd be too late for your child to get Day care in Jyvaskyla. This is overall fuc.ked up town.

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:19 pm

I hired someone from abroad recently to Jyväskylä, and she was able to get daycare for her kids with about 3 weeks warning. It was less that 1km from her apartment.

When I moved here with my family from abroad, we were able to get a kid into eskäri and another into jälkäri right away.

I've been pretty impressed with their flexibility.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

roger_roger wrote: So, your telling me you got day care in 3 weeks? go fake to someone else.... I have experienced it first hand I say its chaos. If you love the city, doesn't mean you have to come up with fake stories to make it sound better.

We don't live in City center either, its bloody expensive by its standard.

I assume you werent one who were part of tha job thing, you, as lone guy living in home withouth a job cant get anytjing.

This is not for lone people but people who have a job.

No job means no kidcare.

Take care of your kids.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

nywaan

Post by nywaan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Hei roger_roger!
Before you say that someone is fake, have you ever consider yourself how good you are?
You are what you think!

Im here to share the info from my experience, not to argue or to make other people feel worse as you do.
I live in Tikkala, 25 mins drive or 40 min by bus to JKL center. It was the "Keski suomen vuoden kylä"(the village of the year 2014 of central finland). How many suburb villages in Jkl do you know?
If you dont belive, apply your child to Tikkalan päiväkoti then you'll see.
But dont complain again when your child have a place here and there are buses running between tikkala and the city only 4 times/day. You need to have your own car.

And if you dont respect other people's experience sharing, no need to post questions here then.
This is my last reply to you I can tell. You dont seem to appreciate any info or opinions that people take time to answer you.
Good luck with your search!
Last edited by nywaan on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 pm

nywaan wrote:Hei roger_roger!
Before you say that someone is fake, have you ever consider yourself how good you are?
You are what you think!

Im here to share the info from my experience, not to argue or to make other people feel worse as you do.
I live in Tikkala, 25 mins drive to JKL center. It was the "Keski suomen vuoden kylä"(the village of the year 2014 of central finland). How many suburb villages in Jkl do you know?
But dont complain again when your child have a place here and there are buses running between tikkala and the city only 4 times/day. You need to have your own car.

And if you dont respect other people's experience sharing, no need to post questions here then.
This is my last reply to you I can tell. You dont seem to appreciate any info or opinions that people take time to answer you.
So you do have a job?
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

nywaan

Post by nywaan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Yes I do. Its a part time job though. Thats why i can afford päiväkoti for my child and gas cost.
And i am also studying in aikuisopisto.
More possibilities to get a job when you speak at least fair finnish and even better if you finnished at least vocational school in finland.
onkko wrote:
nywaan wrote:Hei roger_roger!
You are what you think!

I live in Tikkala, 25 mins drive to JKL center. It was the "Keski suomen vuoden kylä"(the village of the year 2014 of central finland). How many suburb villages in Jkl do you know?

So you do have a job?