Do grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
woundedbuddy

Post by woundedbuddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:32 pm

I am divorcing with my Finnish wife, but we have kids together and we have shared custody of the kids, my wife's Parents / family have always been so racist and haters to me and to our kids, they never liked the idea of their daughter marrying a foreigner, but anyways now we are divorcing and my X keeps bringing my kids to her parents and leave them there while she is at work or doing other personal things... i have asked my X not to bring my kids to her parents if herself personally she is not there. what i want is, if she will bring my kids there then she have to be there too. I forgot to mention above that, my X has a son who from her past relationship and her parents have always liked this boy more than the other kids that me and my wife have together.

So is there legal way that i can follow to stop this,, do grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren.?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ajdias

Re: Do grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren

Post by ajdias » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:04 pm

The answer to your question is yes.
As long as your ex has the guard of your children she can leave them to anyone that she deems fit and trusts to take good care of them. Is up to you to prove that they will do harm to your children, which, from what you wrote, is highly unlikely to happen.

(It's none of my business, but I am pretty sure that no matter how much they may dislike you/how racists they may be, they probably still care a great deal for their grandchildren and will take good care of them. Not to mention that most Finnish women would not tolerate their parents to be disrespectful towards their children.)

woundedbuddy

Post by woundedbuddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 pm

ajdias , thanks for your answer and i do respect your opinion, to my understanding you are saying that my X has the right to bring my kids and can leave them to anyone that she deems fit and trusts to take good care of them. And you are saying that Grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren..

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 pm

woundedbuddy wrote:ajdias , thanks for your answer and i do respect your opinion, to my understanding you are saying that my X has the right to bring my kids and can leave them to anyone that she deems fit and trusts to take good care of them. And you are saying that Grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren..
Grandparents have no special legal rights. Legally their status is no different from for example the best friend of your X.

http://www.vaestoliitto.fi/parisuhde/ti ... ien_asema/

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 am

Actually, the children have the "rights" according to the law. Parents have responsibilities.

And is it your responsibility to deny your child a right to their grandparents?
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:06 am

woundedbuddy wrote: And you are saying that Grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren..
No, I did not say that.
I said that you have no legal right to prevent your ex from leaving the kids with the grand parents, unless you can make a case in court that this is damaging for the kids.

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 am

ajdias wrote:
woundedbuddy wrote: And you are saying that Grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren..
No, I did not say that.
I said that you have no legal right to prevent your ex from leaving the kids with the grand parents, unless you can make a case in court that this is damaging for the kids.
His two questions were "is there legal way that i can follow to stop this?" and "do grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren?" Your first message saíd "The answer to your question is yes." It seems that by "yes", you meant "no".

(I'm pretty sure your facts are correct, but you're not communicating them very well.)

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:51 am

ajdias wrote:(I'm pretty sure your facts are correct, but you're not communicating them very well.)
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. You are right, I could have put it much better.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:15 pm

do grandparents have legal rights to their grandchildren.?
Even if you were still married, would you be obliged to let the children visit their grandparents if you don't want to?
There is no rule that gives grandparents visiting rights.
So whether or not they visit them, it is up to your ex.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Cory wrote:
ajdias wrote:Not to mention that most Finnish women would not tolerate their parents to be disrespectful towards their children
Why do you write specifically "Finnish" mothers? Any kind and caring mother, of any nationality, would not accept anyone disrespecting her children.
Because that's relevant for the OP's case and what I've learned by observing around.

In other countries and cultures, that which here constitutes disrespect, may have different meaning (eg. see physical punishment.)

woundedbuddy

Post by woundedbuddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:36 pm

rinso wrote:
So whether or not they visit them, it is up to your ex.
But we share custody fifty fifty, only that the kids stays with her.

woundedbuddy

Post by woundedbuddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks, i will take a look to the link ...

woundedbuddy

Post by woundedbuddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks to all of you , i have an appointment with my lawyer on Monday next week, i am going to discuss the matter with him, and i will post some updates here as soon as i know something, i think the best way to this is to take the matter to court since my ex is not listening to me every time i tell her not to bring the kids to grandparents and leave them there.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:32 pm

woundedbuddy wrote:Thanks to all of you , i have an appointment with my lawyer on Monday next week, i am going to discuss the matter with him, and i will post some updates here as soon as i know something, i think the best way to this is to take the matter to court since my ex is not listening to me every time i tell her not to bring the kids to grandparents and leave them there.
And unless the kids get neglected, abused or something like that... why would the courts deny grandparents from the kids?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:10 am

woundedbuddy wrote:Thanks to all of you , i have an appointment with my lawyer on Monday next week, i am going to discuss the matter with him, and i will post some updates here as soon as i know something, i think the best way to this is to take the matter to court since my ex is not listening to me every time i tell her not to bring the kids to grandparents and leave them there.
If I were your ex-wife, I think I'd use the episode to use to gather proof that shared custody isn't workable situation with you. I hope your lawyer is good enough to look after your interest and not just his paycheck.