Apply for Student permit after work permit has been denied

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ptb0204

Post by ptb0204 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 pm

Hello everyone,
I would really appreciate if you can help me with the answer. My application for work permit has been denied and I will appeal the decision. However, I am fulltime student as well and I meet the requirements for student permit. Can I apply for Student permit while waiting for the appeal decision? I have had a work resident permit last year but it expired. I have heard some rumors telling that a person cannot apply for student permit after having a work permit. Please give me some advices. Thank you so much and have a Happy New Year!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Simo0000

Re: Apply for Student permit after work permit has been denied

Post by Simo0000 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 pm

I would advise you to make an appeal and wait for the decision before applying again on any grounds.

Applying again will only complicate things at Migri and will probably affect the decision on the first appeal.

This is my advice but you have the right to do whatever feels right to you.

Good luck

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 pm

ptb0204 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 pm
Hello everyone,
I would really appreciate if you can help me with the answer. My application for work permit has been denied and I will appeal the decision. However, I am fulltime student as well and I meet the requirements for student permit. Can I apply for Student permit while waiting for the appeal decision? I have had a work resident permit last year but it expired. I have heard some rumors telling that a person cannot apply for student permit after having a work permit. Please give me some advices. Thank you so much and have a Happy New Year!
Work permits and study permits are often conflicting. As a student you are not allowed to work more than 25 hours/week. And 25 hr often is not enough to fulfill the financial requirement for a work permit. So having both permits pending, it could cause problems for both.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:20 pm

ptb0204 wrote:
My application for work permit has been denied and I will appeal the decision. However, I am fulltime student as well and I meet the requirements for student permit. Can I apply for Student permit while waiting for the appeal decision? I have had a work resident permit last year but it expired.
ptb0204 wrote:
Please give me some advices.
For reliable advice you need a Finnish lawyer specialized on immigration who knows both the law and how Migri handles such cases.

136472Makemake

Post by 136472Makemake » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:39 am

What permit are you currently on in Finland and when is it expiring?